3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which long bow  (Read 389 times)

Offline country roads

• Trad Bowhunter
which long bow
« on: February 13, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
i am thinking about buying a long bow, thinking about thunderstick, or tomahawk, what are pros ad cons of each or other brands any info would be helpful

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: which long bow
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Can't go wrong with a jk traditions.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Lots of good ones out there, I shoot a Bamabows Hunter and I love the way it shoots.  Good luck...Shawn

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
You are going to get a different answer from everyone. Try to go to a shoot in your area and shoot as many guys bows as you can. We all have preferences and what I or anyone else likes may not be what you like. Ask the bowyers if they have a try before you buy and shoot them and see which one you like best. Good luck.

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Cannot speak on behalf of the Thunderstick. I have a Tomahawk and love it. Ever since I picked it up and strung it at the local shop, I cannot put it down. For me it flat shoots. I have the woodland hunter diamond series. I have also shot a bamabow hunter and my son has the royal expedition in the bamabow line. These are very well built bows and shoot good as well. I have read good things about the thundersticks and have possibly considered one in my near future. I just like to shoot one before I buy one.Hope this helps you with your hard decision.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
azhunter is right on. Everyone has different tastes, you will get hundreds of different answers. Try a few and see what you like.

I personally like Pronghorns.  :)
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
Those are both good choices.

You have alot of bow choices with a Thunderstick.The MOAB,Thunderstick 111,Thunderstick 11 and the Mag.Thier all 1st rate.I would have no hesitation in getting a T-stick personally.Thier superb;y crafted bows and excellant designs!

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Shoot as many different bows as you can. Don't be in a hurry, there are a lot of excellent bowyers out there. You will find one that just feels right and that, is the one for you. We all have our favorites. This is a great community and folks will let you try different makes and styles. Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Offline Swiftspeed10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Check out Dwyer longbows, really good bows.
Benny
-------------------------------------------------------------
Centaur Glass 57# at 28" (58")
Sauk Trail Kenu 40# at 27" (52")--->waiting for build

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
Both good choices,but I must say:   I was a recurve shooter for 20 years and for the last 10 I've been trying to switch to longbows. I've tried many and sold them all because of lack performance compared to the recurves I shot.  I sure there's others out there but I finally ended up with a Thunderstick MOAB one piece longbow that I shot and now instead of selling it as normally would, now I'm trying to sell my recurve. Thundersticks are awesome, especially the MOAB

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 04:39:00 AM »
it's all gonna be a crap shoot unless you try before ya buy,  no amount of other folks' opinions gonna help ya, sorry.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »
Swing on over to NC and try a Cold Mtn longbow. You'll never be sorry.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
One of the first longbows that I owned was a Thunderstick II. I loved it, the grip was a deep dish that fit perfectly and the bow was a performer. If it wasn't 63# I would own it today. I killed many animals with the bow and Jim Reynolds is great to work with.
I also have owned a Tomahawk Diamond series bow that I only kept for a month or so and sold. I did not care for the hand shock or the stiffness of the bow, Thunderstick was much smoother. This is my opinion based on the two bows that I owned and I definitely would buy another Thunderstick, I would go with the TS III. The Thunderstick is a better bow for alot less money.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Like has been said, other people will have their opinions that may or may not coincide with yours. If you can get your hands on several different bows to get a feel for different grips, limb designs, etc., you will have a better handle on what appeals to you. Some folks love Hill style bows, others hate them. Some like the hybrid styles, others can't stand them. Lots of personal tastes are involved in choosing a bow; that's why so many different styles are available. I have my opinions and I know what I like, but my likes might not go along with yours in the slightest. Try and shoot as many styles as you can, then you can make a decision. And having said that, your tastes may change down the road; that's why some of us have a bunch of different bows of different types. It's all part of the fun, in my opinion.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
I have the tomahawk diamond woodland hunter and love it it is the quietest fastest and smoothest shooting bow I have ever shot be it recurve, longbow, or hybryid
James Kerr

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
Don't overlook the Eaglewing D and R. They start at 550.00.

God Bless you and have a great day, Steve

Offline Firecracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Take a look at "Lostcreekbows", there's a post in PowWow titled - Wishes and Dreams do come true (Life-Ender")
" Always look for a silver lining"

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
I have owned both, and the thunderstick in my eyes is a hands down winner better performance better looking less cost.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Take your time, shoot some bows, take advantage of the resource you have before you, ie this website and then make a selection.

I am a newbe and after months of reading everything I can on the subject and shooting a few I have a bow on order from Maddog Traditional Archey.

I chose Maddog because I liked what he has to offer and it is at a reasonable price, and for a beginner bow I could not find a better deal.

Regards:

Glenn
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Offline country roads

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
thanks to everyone for thier replies great info i will let everyone know which one i get

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©