3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Refinishing question  (Read 268 times)

Online Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Refinishing question
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
Has anyone ever attempted to remove scratches or dings by using steel wool? Should you "wet sand" it and does it usually require refinishing over the spot?

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Refinishing question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Pictures would help,surface scratches can be rubbed out, ones through the finish need to have a finish put over it.
         Kurt

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
If you have deeper scratches or marks that reach beneath the top layer, more than likely you'll have to have it refinished. Also be careful, as a lot of different finishes do not bond well to one another.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
You didn't say if you were working on the wood or the glass but generally you would need to finish the area.Water getting into the wood of a bow is never a good thing and can lead to delamination if it gets bad enough.

Steel wool would never be my pick as it follows existing contours like the divet you try to remove.It also picks finish out of pores whereas sandpaper goes across the top and if used right,maintains a more even surface.

I use wet or dry sandpaper either with a firm,felt block or I fold the paper so it is more stiff and sand that way.I usually sand with it dry.

Bowdoc has a huge,long thread in the Trad History,Collecting forum that covers every angle of refinishing and repairing bows.it is also a good place to ask refinishing questions.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©