3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My European Skull Mount DIY Project (Pics)  (Read 1047 times)

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
My European Skull Mount DIY Project (Pics)
« on: February 15, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Okay, so I killed a nice buck on November 18th. If I wasn't a poor military veteran/ college student, with a baby, I probably would have done a shoulder mount. However, that is not the case and so I needed to do this mount on the cheap. That is how I decided to do a European skull mount. Plus I just like how they look. I literally had no clue how to do this, nor have I ever done it before... but, country boys can usually figure stuff out one way or another, so I said what the heck and gave it a shot....

First: I cut the head off of the deer. I had no idea where to cut initially, so this was a fairly intimidating task. Let me tell you, it is not tough at all. Find the base of the skull as close to where it meets the spine as possible, trim back all the fur, meat etc., and cut the head off. Simple as that. Time: About 5 minutes.

Second: I placed the fully fur covered head on a table in my back yard and completely skinned it. Then, I removed the eyes with a small knife, and cut out as much of the meat behind the eyes as possible. Then I cut off as much meat as possible from the rest of the head, and kept cutting off meat and cartilage until I could remove the lower jaw. Finally, I scrambled the brains with a small paring knife and a toothbrush, and sprayed the brain cavity out with my garden hose. The brains actually came out fairly easily, and were the consistency of snot. By this point I pretty much feel like Jeffrey Dahmer, and I am counting my blessings that I do not have any close neighbors. Time: 1.5 - 2 hours.

Third: I got a large 5 gallon or so crock pot out of the kitchen that my wife never uses. I filled it up about 4/5 of the way to the top and added a capful of free and clear laundry detergent. This stuff is free of dyes and perfumes. I do not know if it matters either way, but this is the kind of detergent we have so it is what I used. (Let me add that free and clear detergent has given me the SAME EXACT, if not better results than the expensive hunter scent-killer detergent stuff, and it is wayyy cheaper.) Time: 5 minutes.

Fourth: I put the pot on my propane grill out back, situated evenely between 2 of the burners. I read that I should not 'boil' the skull, but rather cook it at an extremely hot simmer. I placed the skull into the water and submerged it completely, including about the bottom 1/4' of the antlers. I know people say not to let the antlers touch the mixture, but I had to get that hard to cut off skin and meat from around the base of the antlers to soften up, so that I could cut it off. Letting the water touch the antlers does not appear to have hurt them at ALL.

Fifth: Here comes the fun part. I let the skull simmer from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m the first day. I would take the skull out every 2 or 3 hours and scrape off more meat with a wire brush, paring knife, and toothbrush. After about 11 hours I ran out of propane. The tank was only about halfway full to start with. This essentially ended my escapades for the evening, and at this point I would say about 80% of the meat was off of the skull. Time: 11 hours.

Day 2: I headed down to the small gas station down the road and swapped out my old tank of propane for a fresh one. I dumped out the water from the day before, which was filled with deteriroated meat, and put fresh water in. This time I did not add any laundry detergent. I began cooking the skull again around 11 a.m. Just like the day before I would take the skull out every 2 or 3 hours and remove as much meat as possible. By about 10 p.m. I had all of the meat removed from the skull. Time: 11 hours.

Sixth: With all of the meat removed from the skull, it was time to degrease. I read several places that you can use Dawn dish detergent and hot water to degrease the skull. Well, all I had was "Ajax Super Degreaser". So, I filled the pot with another 5 gallons of clean water, about 1/4 of the bottom of Ajax, and placed the skull in it. After about 3 days of sitting in the Ajax I did not notice that any grease was coming out of the skull. I read that placing some heat on the skull will help with the degreasing process. So, I brough the operation inside to my wifes stove (SHHHH) and cooked the skull at a hot simmer for another 8-10 hours. Time: 3 days of waiting, and about 8-10 hours of doing.

Seventh: I purchased a bleaching kit from Cabela's for $19.95 as it had good review. The kit claims to come with enough to bleach 3 skulls, however I think you could realistically use it for 5 or 6 deer sized skulls. I mixed the bleaching agent and 40 volume peroxide provided into a paste, and painted this onto the skull. I allowed the skull to sit with the paste on it for the next 24 hours. Time: About 20 minutes.

Last: I decided that I did not want to mount the skull on a simple piece of wood as I see so often. Therefore I began searching and searching for the right piece of unique wood. I could not find anything on line that appealed to me, so I grabbed an old piece of drift wood that I have and mounted the skull onto it. I had a "wood pedestal" left over from the "Iron Buck" mount that I used for my 10 pointer last year. I simply drilled a 1/4" hole in the skull, approximately a half inch below the opening for the brain cavity. I then fixed the flat wooden part of the pedestal to the back of the skull, and affixed that to the 'slanted' part of the wood pedestal. From there I simply ran a wood screw through the back of the driftwood into this piece and it all tied together. I wish I could explain it better, but if you are doing it yourself it is really straight forward. Just look at it, and it will make sense. Time: 20 minutes.

Anyhow, here is the finished product:

Total Cost: About $50. (Propane, bleaching kit.)

62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My European Skull Mount DIY Project (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
That is sweet!  Good job!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Looks good!! Cabelas makes about the best skull cleaning kit I have found. I don't do the bleach part...MAKE sure you super glue the teeth in, they will fall out after a while!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
Cooooolll...

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
Well done   :thumbsup:  

Could you post a pic of the side profile so we could get a look at how you attatched it?

thx
ben
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline rimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
That looks real nice. Unique idea with the drift wood

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Looks Great!!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
I like it!!

Thank you for sharing.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Very nice job!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
As requested:

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Looks great   :thumbsup:
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
You did a mighty fine job buddy. Looks great, was a good buck too!
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Nice work!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
That just looks great. I think I like that even better than a taxidermied job. God bless you, Steve

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
Good job Sam, I think I killed the twin brother to your 8pt. this year?
I also did a skull/Euro mount with mine. I've just got mine hanging on the wall, but I really like your driftwood idea. I live right near the river so I may keep my eyes out for the "perfect" looking piece of driftwood and give it a shot?

Thanks for sharing.

BTW- I was hunting just slightly east of you in Montgomery County. Small world huh?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:
Good job Sam, I think I killed the twin brother to your 8pt. this year?
I also did a skull/Euro mount with mine. I've just got mine hanging on the wall, but I really like your driftwood idea. I live right near the river so I may keep my eyes out for the "perfect" looking piece of driftwood and give it a shot?

Thanks for sharing.

BTW- I was hunting just slightly east of you in Montgomery County. Small world huh?
That is a trip. They very well may be brothers, or distant cousins. Who knows.    ;)

I got this guy in Western St. Charles County, around Defiance. Little 13 acre property that I have been hunting for several years. It is my favorite property to hunt, because it is small, productive, and I know it well.  

If you go with the driftwood idea be sure to show us some pics. Nice talkin to you! SAM

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Very very nice.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline drphoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
Looks good, love the driftwood. I did a small deerhead for my son last year. When I say "did" I had the head in a bucket, went researching on the Internet for information on how to do it, it smelt a fair bit so I filled the bucket with water and left it in the sun. After a couple of days I had to steer a wide birth round the bucket, the smell was incredable. Eventually avoiding that part of the garden I thought I must deal with this on a windy day. That day arrived a few weeks later, I tipped the bucket out to find all the skin and meat in the bottom ( with the teeth too). I hosed the soupy brains out with water, and plonked the skull in some vinegar for the night. The next day I put it in the sun to dry and hey presto a bright clean skull. I didn't bother sorting the teeth, or mounting it, it's now sitting on the bookcase in my sons bedroom, and it doesn't smell. Total cost 2 liters of clear vinegar 60 cents. A three or four week wait and hope that the wind keeps blowing the same way
Only dead fish go with the flow

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Came out great!  Nice job.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
That is really neat, you did an excellent job!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©