3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Grip  (Read 354 times)

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Grip
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Is it possible to not be able to shoot a bow consistent due to the grip? I have a Kodiak Hunter that at times I can shoot great, but when I'm shooting poor, or not quite as well as I want I feel like I'm always trying to get my bow hand a certain way and cannot find the sweet spot. Especially when I feel I've held up my end of the deal with good anchor, release and follow through. I've shot various other bows and have a few models in mind that really feel natural in the bow hand and I've shot some at the expo with great groups.

Proabably the most reasonable way to remedy this is to buy a different bow. (How convenient says the wife) However I want to be sure I'm not fooling myself.

Lets hear some TG wisdom.

Thanks,

Brian

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Grip
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bow Bum:
Is it possible to not be able to shoot a bow consistent due to the grip?
It most certainly is.......and that is the sole reason that a bow either stays on my rack or leaves. It isn't just you, we are all different and prefer a certain "feel" especially in the grip. I have owned bows that one time I could shoot very well and the next time I'm all over the place with. I guess if I really worked to find the exact way that each bow wants to be held that I could "learn" to shoot them all.

That being said, there are entirely to many bowyers out there today that use a grip on their bows that I do prefer........so I pass those bows along to someone that will use them.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
I agree with Winterhawk 1960  :thumbsup:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
For me, the grip is the most important feature of the bow. That is where the relationship begins or is disolved.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline droz il

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
Yes. it definitely can.
David Miller Old Tom 66" string follow 46@28
HH Robin Hood LH 68" 45@28
Martin Viper  RH 64" 45@28
Bamboo backed hickory ELB #45

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Anonymous

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
Bow Bum I have had the same issues, I really feel you shouldnt have to work at getting proper hand placement on your grip (It should happen naturally). When you find the right grip it should feel right and put your hand in comfortable position and allow you to put arrows where your looking. The grip is the only real connection you have to the bow and imho should be comfortable and repeatable without effort. My favorite grip to date is hands down the asbell grip on my Black Widow psa, puts my hand in exact position everytime and truly does put arrows where i am looking.
Just one guy's opinion, maybe this can help?
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
It must fit and be balanced to the shooters hand to shot proper. Design, bow weight, bow length, wood type ,color,ect,ect.But its all about proper grip fit.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Everyones hands are different so some bows shoot right where you point and others you have to "muscle" to hit anything. Predators fit my hand great, Widows dont. I can shoot both very well but I have to really watch how I grip the widow to make it work.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
To me grip is everything...almost.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Yep, grip is everything, and everyone's is different.  That is why asking everyone here their opinion on which is the "best" bow is so meaningless.

That being said, another big factor in my mind is the length of the bow.  I find that a longer bow is more tolerant to inconsistent hand placement, release, and various form errors.  The Kodiak Hunter is not a long recurve, so that may exacerbate your problems to some extent.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Grip is very important. A bow is a fulcrum and lever system that needs to be balanced when we shoot it. The arrow needs to receive a balanced and stable vector forces during the release. Without a stable fulcrum/limb relationship, it is unreasonable to expect to obtain stable flight when shooting a bow.

Since the grip functions not just a nice place to grip the bow, but it is actually the fulcrum (pivot point) of the bow...and is therefore the bow's foundation. While it should be comfortable and natural, more importantly it should be shaped to promote proper alignment (tortional stability) and pivot of limbs (longitudinal stability). If the grip/limb relationship is not tillered to properly balance at the pressure point, then it is very difficult to get proper arrow flight.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply's.

I had a heavier bow that I could shoot more consstently, but it was just too much weight. I've kept the K-hunter just cuz its a Bear, but may be letting go of it soon.

I take a liking to the heavy riser, full palm swell recurves. I shot a timberhawk at the expo, and thought it was REAL nice. Pittsley Predator was a close second on how it fit me, and seemed a bit faster.

B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©