3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: planning a western bow hunt ???  (Read 429 times)

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
planning a western bow hunt ???
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
hi all well i am finally getting serious about a western bowhunt aint getting any younger 50 next week  :coffee:  just trying to save some time and post,just want to hunt and stare at the mountains i was thinking maybe the black hills in SD or maybe Montana or Idaho love whitetails or mulies which states are better for permits and such thanks in advance Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: planning a western bow hunt ???
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
Antelope!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
really want to do some mountain hunting,antelope might be on th agenda in the future! thanks!

mybe early oct to late oct hunt!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
Many western states have application deadlines. You'll need to get online to check the deadlines for the states that you're interested in. If you miss the deadline then you'll have to choose a state like Idaho or Oregon that offer over-the-counter tags.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Looks like I'm going on my first Elk hunt this fall. I'll be 59 in June so I think I should do this while I can. Got hooked up with a fella that's been many times and done do it yourself hunts camping before. Colorado is the plan, over the counter tags for elk. Can't wait! Good luck on what ever you decide!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
There are several over the counter units in Colorado for Elk, but I think all deer tags are by draw. I think the application deadline is in April.

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Hi Ralph,

I live on the edge of the Black Hills. We have both whitetails and muleys with whitetails out numbering muleys by at least 3 to 1.

License can be purchase online from the Game Fish & Parks. Season usually begins last week of Sept.

Not quite as remote as Montana or Idaho, but there a quite a few area's to get away to.

Terry K.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
thanks guys,Ron hope you are successful

not sure if i want to take an elk yet too much in the way of meat and packing an animal out that size.

really just want to camp in the mountains and hunt from day to day,was thinking hard about Idaho in the panhandle or maybe western Montana not sure yet,a big western whitetail or mule deer!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
thanks Terry,the black hills are at the top of my list,mainly because of the high whitetail pop.

Spearfish SD as a base area!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Looks like I'm going on my first Elk hunt this fall. I'll be 59 in June so I think I should do this while I can. Got hooked up with a fella that's been many times and done do it yourself hunts camping before. Colorado is the plan, over the counter tags for elk. Can't wait! Good luck on what ever you decide!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
How the heck did I post this again   :banghead:   !!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
I'm not sure about packing an Elk out either, but I figure I better try for one at 59 while I can still most likely do it. Hey ,I hope I have to pack meat out.....LOL!

Offline k9bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
What about the wyoming side of the black hills? Still time to apply or get general tag.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
Here in MT alot of the whitetail hunting is hard to access.  It in very restricted to riverbottom corridors and is coveted.  That said, SE corner of the state has tons of BLM and Block management and more mulies than a guy could ever wish to hunt.   The terrain is rugged breaks country.  If you want a true mountain muley hunt, our western herd has been in deep decline and is probably not as good as WY or CO for quantity and definately not the quality.  Hope that helps.

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
If you are looking for mule deer in Idaho, I would recommend considering southern Idaho.  There is a lot of public access as well as better mule deer numbers.  Are you looking for a trophy deer, any buck, or open to anything that present?

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Ron  :biglaugh:  

Robert yup thought about that too thanks!

Jeff thanks that's the info i need might be a once in a lifetime trip for me want to get it right,breaks country sounds like a challenge as well!

Robert tell me about the black hills lot's of ravines rugged?? trees?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Derrick thanks for the reply,just want to hunt and see the gorgeous western terrain with a stick bow aint setting my sights too high so i guess just lot's of game and the overall experience and if i get a chance at something big that will be ok!!

don't want to get froze in either a southern boys blood too thin lol. for mountain type hunting sep ok or maybe oct??
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
You normally won't have to worry about freeziing during the September hunts.  Heat is usually a bigger concern and getting the meat taken care of and cooled.  Most of the time we are heading back to civilization the same day we shoot something because it's just too warm.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
I hunted in Eastern WY. 20 years ago, near Sundance and Beulah. Saw lots of deer back then,Mulies and Whitetails. Hunted Nat'l Forest land near a place called Ranch "A". Not to tough an area to hunt!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©