3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: double bull vs. hidden hunter  (Read 1459 times)

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: double bull vs. hidden hunter
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
I plan on getting a 6x6 HH blind here shortly.  Gotta love a Michigan made product and it's price right!
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
I have a DB Matrix and a HH 6x6 blind. The DB has a little more room inside if you will be hunting with someone else and it folds up a little more compact for carrying. My matrix model is a little short for anyone shooting a longer bow......but I shoot a Shrew, so it isn't a problem. The DB won't hold up to the wind and snow like my hidden hunter.

The HH is taller, which is a plus if you shoot a longer bow and it's nice to be able to stand and stretch during those long sits. The HH will hold up to just about any wind/snow/rain that you can put at it. It's very comfortable and roomy for one hunter, but it does get a little tight with two people. The fabric is wind proof and has a good solid black backing on the inside. It is nice and warm inside on windy days. Personally I prefer the HH blind over the DB in most situations.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Just for clarification: my 6x6 HH is the digital woodland camo. The inside is not black but a brown that blends well with my outfitter camo clothes.

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
I can say this about the HH blind...WOW! I just purchased mine last year and used it in the late season archery here in Indiana and during one sitting was able to kill three squirrels (Almost walked into the blind with me they were so close), and a small doe at less than 5 yards. I thought she was gonna come in the door. Needless to say (for me at least), the HH has proven to be a very productive blind. I too purchased for the MADE IN THE USA, and also have found the quality to be outstanding. Good luck in your decision.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline head_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
I bought a Double Bull Matrix about 8 years ago. I love everything about it except when I received it I was really disappointed to find out that it was made overseas. I have shot deer from the blind but it's main use nowadays is for my 14 year old daughter to sit in and watch the deer while Dad is close by hunting in the stand.
There's more to hunting than taking a trophy.......Enjoy everything the woods have to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
In really cold weather in late December I put a little gas heater in my Hidden Hunter blind and it keeps me snug and warm.    :campfire:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
Well! I was just talking about the Double Bull to somebody, this thread has me looking to Michigan now.
 Good thread----this forum never ceases to amaze me.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
In the HH video, they show the closure leaving a vertical crack. My questions are, does that crack get covered with some type of an internal flap to block the light from coming in and also, is the black backing on the inside only available with a certain camo pattern and lastly, how does the shoot-thru screens attach?

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
creekwood, The blind does have an internal flap that closes with velco to block off any light. I don't know about the option for the liner on the inside mine is black and the others that I have seen where also black.
The window screens attach with velco from the inside.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
In really cold weather in late December I put a little gas heater in my Hidden Hunter blind and it keeps me snug and warm.     :campfire:  

Ron,

I was thinking about trying this, but I wondered about scent the heater might give off. Do you use propane? What kind of heater do you have? Does it make any noise? I assume it is some type of catalytic heater so no noise, correct?

Also, I noticed in your last picture you didn't have the blind brushed in, just snowed on. I've had deer in range during turkey season with my blind set up in an open field...you can't get much less brush than that. Have you had the same experience with deer during deer season?

Thanks,

Russ
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
Kevin, thanks for that information.

John

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
 Ron,  I was thinking about trying this, but I wondered about scent the heater might give off. Do you use propane? What kind of heater do you have? Does it make any noise? I assume it is some type of catalytic heater so no noise, correct?  

Also, I noticed in your last picture you didn't have the blind brushed in, just snowed on. I've had deer in range during turkey season with my blind set up in an open field...you can't get much less brush than that. Have you had the same experience with deer during deer season?

Russ, I use the Mr Buddy heater, the small one. If I'm not going to be using it a lot I use the 1# tank that screws into the heater. For extended use I set a 25# tank outside the blind attached to a gas hose adapter. I haven't had an issue with odor from the heater but when it's turned up on high, it has a hissing sound so I keep it turned down to low or medium and that works best.

As for brushing in, I usually try to do that most of the time. For some reason when I set the blind in poplar slashings it doesn't seem to alarm the deer. Other times I'll brush in the blind a little. The loops on the side are handy for inserting limbs.
This is the old woodland camo, the new woodland has a digital pattern

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline featherhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Hey Ron
I havent never seen a HH blind my question is all the guys on here talk like the DB has more room to hunt 2 people or are they about the same size
Thanks Jamie

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
I have never used a DB so I don't know how they compare to the HH. People say the DB is wider but not as tall as the HH. I know I've sat in my HH with 2 people with no problem.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
I have hunted out of both.The double bull is wider, so as previous posters have said, more room for 2. But the hidden hunter works a lot better with my 62 inch recurve. Here are 2 pictures of my digigtal HH. one in color, one in black and white.

We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Hidden Hunter Woodland camo

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
A HH Nat Gear Blind  

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Wow, what would the Cree Nation do with this technology back in the day?  :campfire:
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
I have to agree that the HH is a little tight for two people, but I also agree it is easy to shoot from.

Thanks for the information, Ron. If I get into the late season again next year, I'm going to have a buddy (heater) with me! I haven't hunted deer from a blind before because I like the vision of being in a tree stand, but I was too picky this year and ended up with tag soup. If I get into the late season without filling a tag next fall, I'll be giving the HH a try for sure.

Double Bull might be a great blind, but one of my cousins had to go through three of them to get one that stayed together (Chinese model). Also, I refuse to buy Chinese stuff if at all possible. I am just one individual, but I'm going to do my part in supporting American manufacturers even if I end up being the last one to do so.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©