3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: double bull vs. hidden hunter  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: double bull vs. hidden hunter
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Good info...

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »
I have killed several turkeys from the Hidden Hunter since this thread started. I also have a Double Bull but prefer the HH.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Anybody have some experience with the ASAT blind?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
I got one of the HH blinds from Ron a few years back. It is a great blind. On cold blustery fall days it is the best way to hunt. Plenty of room to use a trad bow inside a HH blind too. It is also a great turkey blind. They act like they don't even see it.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
I've never tried a hidden hunter but always had good luck with the double bull I had.  I am now using a store brand (ameristep) but the double bull was much better quality.
>>>--------->

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
i have hunted out of both. I think the hidden hunter is the way to go. the HH is easier to set up and because of its shape it sheds snow and rain better than the Matrix. I an not fond of the rods on the floor but to me that is a minor thing. My favorite blind for the money if you wait for them to go on sale is the BIG MIKE. it is huge for around $125 on sale. Snow will crush it though.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Keb:
If I was looking for one I would buy the older matrix if you can find one and put the light weight carbon hub system in it.

The older matrix is lighter than what primos is using, quite a bit lighter. You could have a weight saving of 8lbs.

You can buy the light weight hubs from primos for 50 dollars, the hubs alone shed 5 lbs.
I have two of the older matrix blinds.  They did not all come with the light weight rods.  I have one of each and the leight weight rods are great but it is very difficult to find one.  The weight savings is in the rods not the hubs.  They may be 1# for the five but I doubt much more than that.  Problem is that the light weight rods take a diffent hub.  You can mix and match.  Trying  to  find a used blind then buying hubs and rods doesn't really seem worth it to me.  There are orginbal USA made DB's out there.  tere was aguy taht was selling one on the big Archery forum just a couple weeks ago for a very reasonable price.  Primos warranty is also very good.  I have broken several rods over the years and they will shipo them out for shipping cost only.
T ZZZZ

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
how about a pick of the inside flooring of the HH???

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
I just saw that this old thread has been brought back up. I'm up to the farm right now hunting the late season. It was 2 degrees this morning but I was as snug as a bug in a rug in my 6X6 Hidden Hunter blind with my Lil' Buddy heater giving out plenty of heat connected to a 20# tank setting outside the blind. There was a time when I was younger when the cold didn't bother me but those days are past..   :D  

Since this thread was started the HH blinds now have new material and new patterns. Predator green and Predator gray are both great camo patterns. The new blinds also have steel rods. Another addition is the 7 sided 5.5 X 5.5 blind with 7 windows that will accommodate up to a 56" bow

www.shrewbows.com
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dirtybird:
how about a pick of the inside flooring of the HH???
I would like to see a picture of the HH flooring, too. The comment made by Jim regarding not being fond of the  “rods on the floor”  of the HH threw me.
Thanks to all so far for their input. It is most helpful.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim Rocole:
 My favorite blind for the money if you wait for them to go on sale is the BIG MIKE. it is huge for around $125 on sale. Snow will crush it though.
Which Big Mike blind do you prefer?
Thanks.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Don't overlook a Gorilla blind Jon. I used to have a DB and this blind is fantastic.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
Good stuff guys. This is an older thread. I bought a double bull and I like it. But it is clear there are a lot of other options out there these days!  Honestly I only use the blind for turkeys. When it comes to deer I use a ghillie suit designed by Marc Anthony. It's all in good fun!

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
Owned them both.
Double Bull = JUNK
Hill

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2013, 06:48:00 AM »
I have a Matrix 360 by DB, it is a great blind but it likes to eat the fiberglass rods. I'm not talking breaking them because I am cautious when setting up, it just likes to chew the ends up on the rods. I just keep fixing them, The HH looks like a good system although I have never seen one in person.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
My Dark Horse is hardly used. It is well made but not tall enough. I try to shoot with a vertical recurve (58-62"). Even though I'm only 5'6" I can't do this in anything that is shorter than 80" standing up. Sitting I can shoot vertical in a 70" tall blind.

I actually measured these heights at home.

Here are some pictures of my practice range with new Club XXL. I just received this blind a few weeks ago. I won't use it until spring turkey season. Next fall, when the 8-eyed SPIDERS are gone, I'd like to set this up for deer hunting amongst some cedars.

Without Screen:

With Screen:

View Down Range:

Picture of 3 Shots Through Screen (Field Points):

You can see my "inspiration" for an upcoming hunt October, 2014 on the wall behind my blind.

I'm going to try to post a video with sound of 3 shots from the blind if I can figure out how to use Photobucket for this.  Pretty cool to hear the shot, see an arrow flash, see my ungloved hand move a bit (without the sreen), and hear the Glendale buck "rock" when it is hit.

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
Kevin
I have the Barronet Grounder 350 it is 80" high on the interior. Big Enough for three people.  I will get a pic of the floor of the HH today as well. The HH in Predator Gray is excellent here in the northwoods. I had an old DB (USA made) that I liked but a bear on my land hates blinds and he shredded it. I bought another that was made in China and it was definitely not the same quality. For the money, I was disappointed. The Barronett for the money is a great deal but overall the HH is much better quality and the camo options are far superior in my opinion.

Jim

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kevin Hansen:

Originally posted by Jim Rocole:
 My favorite blind for the money if you wait for them to go on sale is the BIG MIKE. it is huge for around $125 on sale. Snow will crush it though.
Which Big Mike blind do you prefer?
Thanks. [/b]
I like the Big Mike snake eyes version standard size that I have.  Big enough for me to bow hunt with one of the kids along.  The XL will give you a little more room, but it is not a huge jump.  I think all the new ones have the snake eye window, but some of the old stock ones do not so watch out for that.  I got one this spring and used it all year.  It worked out great for me.  I sat in it for something to do in bow season on days with very high winds and it was solid and quiet.  I just pulled mine down two days ago.  It got hit with the ice storm we had mid state.  Our farm is right in part of the worst hit area.   On top of all the snow and ice it had on it, it also got hit with a small tree and a branch from high up in a big tree. Both made direct hits on it.  I did have a 2x2 post in it for extra support or it would have been damaged more than it was.  Total damage  was one small rip in the roof from a broken branch end that went through it and  one cracked rod.

I plan to take a look at the HH blinds, but will have no problem getting another big mike.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
I'll be adding a Hidden Hunter to my arsenal. I've got two double bulls, however if I don't tie off the roof to a branch overhead, it caves in in the snow in late season and there's way too much noise involve with pushing that roof back up and relocking the hub when it's loaded with snow.    :readit:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
I don't have a picture of the floor of the Hidden Hunter but I'll try to get one. The floor rods have never bothered me, they usually sink into the ground out of the way. In the past I've cut a carpet remnant in the proper size to fit on the floor to cover snow and keep my feet warmer.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©