3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First time stump/ my insert glues bad  (Read 424 times)

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
First time stump/ my insert glues bad
« on: February 16, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
was warmer today and got to spend some time out in the woods with the new bow. had a good time but my insert glue was horrible and i found myself digging my inserts out of almost every stump or tree, most being real soft.  last shot i took was a 30 yarder and hit exactly where i aimed i was happy, until i went to pull it out and yet another insert out   :mad:   got it back but last to field tip.

what insert glue are you stumpers finding holds the best. im using a easton hot melt i believe.  that being said the using plastic wrap with the nocks helped alot, not one popped out

thanks
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First time stump/ my insert glues bad
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
I've had the same problem this winter.  Don't know if because of the cold the glue gets brittle or what but, I ended up using Epoxy on my inserts.  I even lost a couple of broadheads in my BH target.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
What type of arrows are you using? I had this happen with my goldtips. What we ended up doing is sanding the inside of the shaft a little (with a chainsaw file) to make it ruff and for the inside of the arrow to except the glue better, then when it was smooth on the inside of the arrow. This helped quite a bit.

Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
I switched to JB Weld, been using it for a couple of years and have had no complaints. It is heat reversable.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
using gold tips.  maybe ill give jb weld a try. worth a shot.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
Try some of the "Quick Stick". I think Big Jim is now selling it and you can get it from other sources as well.  Best out there.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
Mark  I had same problem last year. No matter what kind of glue rough up the inside of the shaft a little.

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
I had the same problem with my goldtips, I switched to goat tuff glue and it seems to be holding better.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
try gorilla glue high impact superglue.  using on my goldtips for over a yr now without a problem
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
I seconded the gorilla glue high impact superglue.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
thanks for the recommandations. ill try to rough it up a little.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by kevsuperg:
try gorilla glue high impact superglue.  using on my goldtips for over a yr now without a problem
I third Gorilla impact resistant superglue!
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline beauhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
+1 on roughing up the inside with a file. I also use a Q-tip and clean the inside with alcohol after I rough it up.

I recently started using this stuff called "Insert Iron" takes a little bit to setup, but so far I'm pretty pleased with it.
Pronghorn 58" 53@28
Silvertip 62" 58@29
Red Wing hunter 58" 45@28
Marin Bamboo Viper 64" 65@28

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
I shoot bows in the 57-63# range with fairly heavy, weight forward arrows that hit very hard.  I also shoot at the Muzzy stump shoot competion which is about the ultimate test for arrow durability.

Over the years I've tried about everything, and most have failed...

Hot melt doesn't cut it, most epoxies, and even the high impact Gorilla super glue...it's all failed on me.

JB Weld, as has been mentioned here already is what I've found to be the absolute best.

I also add a 1" alumin. footing over the end, also with JB Weld to make a tough arrow almost indestructable.

JB Weld is great stuff!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
The way I do Easton Axis carbons with HIT inserts (or any brand), rough up the inside of the shaft, clean with Q-tip and alcohol. Then I use devcon 5 minute epoxy. For aluminum shafts I just clean inside like a carbon shaft then use the same epoxy. I've never had an insert pull out this way.

Now wood arrows, are whole different story! Epoxy works for about a year then the wood seems to dry out the epoxy making it brittle. I've never had good luck with hot melt either. LOL

I'd bet all you need to do is rough up the inside of the shaft and you will be good to go. Good luck. Glen

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
I shoot bows in the 57-63# range with fairly heavy, weight forward arrows that hit very hard.  I also shoot at the Muzzy stump shoot competion which is about the ultimate test for arrow durability.

Over the years I've tried about everything, and most have failed...

Hot melt doesn't cut it, most epoxies, and even the high impact Gorilla super glue...it's all failed on me.

JB Weld, as has been mentioned here already is what I've found to be the absolute best.

I also add a 1" alumin. footing over the end, also with JB Weld to make a tough arrow almost indestructable.

JB Weld is great stuff!
i plan to add footing but i have to figure out what size alum arrow to buy the will work with the arrows im using. ill grab some jb weld at walmart and redo all the arrows i have with it.

also where in N are you located?

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
I had trouble with my gold tips and some of the hot melt glues but switched to Kimsha hot melt and haven't lost an insert yet.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
for carbon inserts and adapters, any quality slow set epoxy will do the trick (i use nhp).  that and making sure the parts - inserts, adapters and points -are cleaned well.  i use naphtha, lacquer thinner or acetone.

for woodies, i make sure the point taper is well sealed with cya glue, which wicks into the grain and hardens it for durability and glue adhesion.  i use 'gurus magic green' hot melt for all woodie points and they do the trick for me.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
thanks.

so how to i remove the hot melt glue thats inside the arrow now?

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
Scrape it out with a nail head or end of chainsaw file.

bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©