3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VA Tradgangers........  (Read 246 times)

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
VA Tradgangers........
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
Looking to get a little info and feedback from Va tradgangers on WMA's near Stafford va. I checked out 2 on line near me, CF Phelps and Thompsen. I plan on going out in a few days to check out area.

Was looking to get feed back on ppl that have hunted it before. I know its public so its not desolate of hunters but was looking to find out if it is overwelmed with hunters, especially during middle of week. When I normally hunt.

have hunted Ft Belvoir last 2 seasons with good success but have been getting a lil tired of the check ins and the fact that you cannot camp out overnight like I would like to do in the early fall.

Any info would be appriciated.

And BTW any Tradgangers who want to plan couple day hunts going out there are more than welcome. As to I am always looking to meet and hunt with new tradgangers from my area.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: VA Tradgangers........
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Here is a link to a story of one of my hunts at Thompson. You will find quite a bit of information about that WMA in the story.

The Incredible Shrinking Woman\\'s Hunt  

Killdeer   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Raised in Markham Va.I've hunted alot of the Phelps &Thompson.PM me

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
Hey Dave!

I hunt Thompson often. Bow season is the best hunting. There are a lot of Does there. I like to hunt the thick stuff below the lake. Far less hunters, but a challenging hunt. I've seen many deer but haven't had luck on my side... bad angles, out of my range, and also before legal hunting hours.

All of the deer I've seen have been between 6am and 10 am. There is a well traveled foot path from the parking lot. You will jump deer in the early morning. The hard part is being quiet and sneaking though the thick stuff in the dark. It won't be hard to figure out where to get off the path and let others push the deer to you.

I haven't been able to pattern them in the afternoon. I think they get smart and go onto the adjacent pastures.

Disregard everything I just said during rifle season. I think they have grown wings by then.  

Also there are lots of Turkeys there so be on your toes.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
I'm in southern Virginia, but soon to be living in that area, I'm curious, too.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »
I live near Fredericksburg & although I haven't hunted Felps in some time, they are some good hunting grounds.

Like Dixie said once the first gun shots are made the Deer seem to vanish into the wind but bow hunting times are the best.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
Thats fine with me..... I love the early season anyway. I think I will go out for spring turkey just to get lay of land and so forth.....

Does anyone know a cross road for Thompsen? I just need it to put into GPS to get to general area. It doesnt have physical address.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
Dave,  If you try to set something up count me in.  I'd love to come down and meet/hunt with some fellow tradgangers in the area.

-Dave
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
I have hunted Phelps a couple of times but found there were just too many people roaming around on horses and foot for my liking.  I went way back in along the river, or at least I thought I was way back there, and still had lots of folks out there.  I went there once for the dove opener and I never saw that many hunters in one place in my entire life.  They do have planted crops and such but it seems to me that Phelps caters more to the fox hound guys.

If you live in Stafford, you could try Quantico.  It's huge, but you also have the check in hassles you get at Ft Belvoir.  I have not hunted out there in 10 years or so but used to hunt there 40 years ago a lot.

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Dave, It's easy to find the lower Thompson parking area and the lake. There are directions and a map on the virginia.gov website. I'd start out there.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=31

I had a hard time finding the upper parking areas and the mountain top.

You should also check out Rapidan WMA. It's in the National Park and it's georgeous. Not a lot of deer there, but an awesome place to visit. I make sure I get a hunt in there every year.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Just checked out CF Phelps yesterday...... And shot at range there..... It seems like a nice place, but I can def see how it can become overwelmed with hunters....... I will see about getting some maps of area and will prob be doing some spring turkey walk and stalk. I am just hoping the middle of the week is as scarce as Belvoir was....

Anyone interested in joining up from the area, gimme a pm.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©