3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: short take-down bow systems  (Read 263 times)

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
short take-down bow systems
« on: February 17, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
I've been looking at either a shrew take-down or a thunderchild take-down. I know they are both fabulous bows, but I'm looking for a little insight on the two take down systems and the pros and cons of each.
Anybody have both take downs. Any info would be great.
thanks

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: short take-down bow systems
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »
I like both TD systems.The locket socket and bowbolt.I also like the brass sleeve and steel style and jacknife by GN.

With the bow bolt I like the all phenolic riser if you decide to go that way.It assembles easily and disassembles easy.You have to take care of the threads.Not a big deal though.Thier stainless steel.You can get a cover for those when the bows not assembled.I have had good luck with my currant bowbolt after thousands of shots.Still tight and solid with no play.Its pretty slick.

I had one that did not workout satisfactorily do to flaws in the riser materials.It was not a Shrew.That was an older bow.I honestly like the all phenolic with no glue lines or accent stripes in the riser for the bowbolt for peace of mind and longevity.

The locket socket is proven by Big Jim,Black Widow and Cari-Bow.I have had a Big Jim and Widow with the locket socket and have been very satisfied.Tight,solid and fuctional.A little wax on the male part every now and then and your good to go.

The brass and steel sleeve even though you did not ask about it is really solid and strong.I have had a few built with that and had the grips shaped with fiberglass auto body filler into locators and pistol grips.Those add some mass weight and work very very well in my experince.I am sold on that design as long as its put together right.

In the case of unintentional abuse,dry firing or torture testing I might lean toward the brass/steel sleeve or locket socket to withstand the most punishment in a worst case scenerio.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Great info

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
I have three bow bolt shrews and have had no problems.  I had a two piece widow for a bit as well.  Both systems were like shooting a one piece.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
Steelhead nailed it on the locket socket. I've had four (Big Jims and CariBow)and they work like a charm. Have not tried the bow bolt?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Thunderhorn25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Have you ever looked at Thunderhorn's 2 piece design, very nice system Duane uses. Only one who does I believe.

Offline COMBER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
The Thunderhorn 2pc design is very labor intensive but by far the best out there. It would take a VERY capable bowyer to duplicate. I've showed my Thunderhorn 2pc to a few bowyers and they do their best to talk you into a Bow-Bolt or a Connexion Hinge. I had a bad experience with a Bow-Bolt and a Tradganger I sold a bow to had a bad experience with a Bow-Bolt so I'd have to say Big Jims (Locket Socket) system may be a better choice. I will say in the defense of the Bow-Bolt that the one riser was all Dymondwood and the other was Actionwood with some Phenolic. I saw the way Mike Hays at Black Canyon Bows installs the Bow-Bolt and I believe it's indestructable that way. I'd actually consider a Bow-Bolt installed by Mike Hays. This is just my opinion based on my experience and I know several archers and bowyers that swear by the Bow-Bolt and probably think I'm crazy.
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
I have several Shrews and one Holm-Made with BowBolts, and they all are extremely well made and solid. If you did not see the seam or feel the slight difference in mass weight, you could not tell a one piece from a two piece. There have definitely been failures with BowBolts where the proper materials or construction have not been used. Of the MANY Shrews built with BowBolts, only one has ever failed, and that was because the riser was built from a solid piece of Gaboon ebony that was not strong enough to maintain its integrity under the stresses generated from the BowBolt. Gregg Coffey has since used at least some phenolic in the riser to provide adequate strength, and it works. I don't think Chad Holm has ever had a failure with a BowBolt bow, but he learned from the problems of others and didn't make the same mistakes. A BowBolt is one of the best connections made. In my 68# bow, I went with solid phenolic for the reason stated by Cody Dixon, but it probably wasn't necessary.

I have never shot a bow with the Locket Socket, but I have no doubt it is a very good, strong system. It may very well be stronger than the BowBolt system, but who cares as long as both are stronger than what is needed. If I were able to draw a 85+ pound bow, I would probably prefer the Locket Socket because guys like Big Jim have built and used bows that heavy with the LS system without any problems. I am still very interested in shooting a Thunderchild, and when Cody gets his, maybe I can get him to let me take a few shots. However, it will take a lot to convince me that there is any two piece bow that can equal a Shrew with a BowBolt.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
thanks

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 01:42:00 AM »
I agree the Thunderhorn 2 piece is amazing in  its craftsmanship and perfection.Its a truelly unique and one of a kind design.

The only downside is the cost mainly and it requires an allen wrench for the 2 small bolts.No biggy.But no tools assembly and no extra parts is nice.

A big thumbs up for the ingenuity and beauty on the T-Horn system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©