3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hi, new to the forum. I have a question about what size bow to get  (Read 404 times)

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Andrew and I'm from Ohio.

Onto my question.

I have a 30-31 inch draw (I'm 6.3 but have long arms for my height)I determined my draw by measuring my wingspan and dividing it by 2.5

My result was 31 inches.

When I draw back on my current recurve (PSE Kingfisher, #45 at 28,and it's a 58 inch bow)I draw around 30-31

I don't know why I can't quite determine my exact draw length.

ANYWAYS. I am looking to get a new bow because my bow tends to stack alot, and I get pretty bad finger pinch. I also read that it's a bad idea to draw a 58 inch recurve to 31. And with all the stacking and finger pinch, I'm developing bad form.

The bow I'm thinking about getting is the Ragim Wildcat TD

And here we come to my question at last.

What size bow should I get? Many people suggested that I get a 62 inch recurve, others suggested I get a 66 inch one.

I'm thinking about getting the 70 inch version just because I'm 17 and not yet done growing.

I don't really see any downside to getting a larger bow.

Anyways, all opinions are appreciated.

Thank you very much, and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this
What man is a man who does not make the world a better place

Re: Hi, new to the forum. I have a question about what size bow to get
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
If I was 6'3" i would use nothing less than a 66" recurve.  Your height gives you the advantage of being able to handle the length, plus the extra length has big advantages in accuracy and comfort. For you a 58" recurve would equal a 48" recurve for me, I cannot hit the broad side of anything with a 48" bow.  Most of my bows are 66" and 68".

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
If I was 6'3" i would use nothing less than a 66" recurve.  Your height gives you the advantage of being able to handle the length, plus the extra length has big advantages in accuracy and comfort. For you a 58" recurve would equal a 48" recurve for me, I cannot hit the broad side of anything with a 48" bow.  Most of my bows are 66" and 68".
Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I was kind of wondering why my groups were so bad... Now I don't feel quite so alone    :)

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Welcome Andrew. I've shot long lb's for 33 years straight. Most recently, I purchased a 70" ntn Tembo. I'm 6'2" w/35" sleeves. My draw is also long@31". I've shot shorter bows & do not miss the finger pinch & stack. My shortest is 66". No problems hunting from trees nor ground stalking. Just takes getting used to. Once so, you'll like it.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
There is no hard rule for what bow length to use, but somewhere at least double your draw length in most convenional bow designs. I once fell in love with the Kodiac Magnums. With a 28" draw length it was just impossible to shoot a 48" or 52" bow with any accuracy.

I tried the shorter bows for awhile before giving up. I'd shoot a 2-3" group with a 58" bow, and then shoot a 5-6" group with the shorter bows. I did this over and over until there was no doubt...,the shorter bow would never match the longer bows in accuracy.

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Andrew, I am 6'05" and also draw to 31".  I much prefer a 64-66" recurve and 66-70" longbows.  I do all my hunting on the ground and rarely ever do I find the longer bow to be a problem.  You will be surprised how rapidly your form and shooting improves once you get a bow that "fits" you.  Good luck...Shawn

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by straitera:
Welcome Andrew. I've shot long lb's for 33 years straight. Most recently, I purchased a 70" ntn Tembo. I'm 6'2" w/35" sleeves. My draw is also long@31". I've shot shorter bows & do not miss the finger pinch & stack. My shortest is 66". No problems hunting from trees nor ground stalking. Just takes getting used to. Once so, you'll like it.
Sounds like I'm going to get the 70 inch one : )

Thank you very much

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
I'm 6'3" and your 2.5 factor of span takes me to 30" . . . which is just what I draw (30-1/2" BOP arrows).  I have a 58" recurve I can shoot just fine, three 60" and two 62" recurves.  It depends a lot on the individual model, not just the AMO length.  One particular 58" bow I wanted (a Mamba) killed my fingers and stacked to a halt before I got that last inch I needed.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2fletch:
There is no hard rule for what bow length to use, but somewhere at least double your draw length in most convenional bow designs. I once fell in love with the Kodiac Magnums. With a 28" draw length it was just impossible to shoot a 48" or 52" bow with any accuracy.

I tried the shorter bows for awhile before giving up. I'd shoot a 2-3" group with a 58" bow, and then shoot a 5-6" group with the shorter bows. I did this over and over until there was no doubt...,the shorter bow would never match the longer bows in accuracy.
2-3 inch groups? How many yards away were you?!

That's really good lol.

Thank you for the advice

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by scedvm:
Andrew, I am 6'05" and also draw to 31".  I much prefer a 64-66" recurve and 66-70" longbows.  I do all my hunting on the ground and rarely ever do I find the longer bow to be a problem.  You will be surprised how rapidly your form and shooting improves once you get a bow that "fits" you.  Good luck...Shawn
Thanks for the input Shawn!

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
I'm 6'3" and your 2.5 factor of span takes me to 30" . . . which is just what I draw (30-1/2" BOP arrows).  I have a 58" recurve I can shoot just fine, three 60" and two 62" recurves.  It depends a lot on the individual model, not just the AMO length.  One particular 58" bow I wanted (a Mamba) killed my fingers and stacked to a halt before I got that last inch I needed.
Another good point. I didn't even think about the difference in models.

Thank you so much.

Love this so much more than Archerytalk

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
welcome to trad gang and trad land!  :wavey:

all stick bows are unique, even within the same manufacturer's model numbers.  you would best be served trying before buying, otherwise be prepared to accept the unfortunate consequences that *may* befall you.  

get as much time in behind lotsa different bowstrings as possible.  clubs and shoots are a great way to try out bows and hopefully to get pro advice on matters such as draw length.  it's not at all uncommon for a trad archer's draw length to change as one's form "settles in" correctly.    

it is also quite common for the bow itself to influence draw length - longer bows/lighter holding weights allow yer form to stretch out and use back muscles ... moving to shorter bows/higher holding weights can contract your form and your draw length.

above all, don't overbow yerself, and whenever in the slightest doubt, go longer in bow length.

enjoy the journey ... most of us are still on it.  :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Welcome to the fire enjoy!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
I have a 30" draw and I hate finger pinch. I only shoot recurves and I prefer 66" in length.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
welcome to trad gang and trad land!   :wavey:  

all stick bows are unique, even within the same manufacturer's model numbers.  you would best be served trying before buying, otherwise be prepared to accept the unfortunate consequences that *may* befall you.  

get as much time in behind lotsa different bowstrings as possible.  clubs and shoots are a great way to try out bows and hopefully to get pro advice on matters such as draw length.  it's not at all uncommon for a trad archer's draw length to change as one's form "settles in" correctly.    

it is also quite common for the bow itself to influence draw length - longer bows/lighter holding weights allow yer form to stretch out and use back muscles ... moving to shorter bows/higher holding weights can contract your form and your draw length.

above all, don't overbow yerself, and whenever in the slightest doubt, go longer in bow length.

enjoy the journey ... most of us are still on it.   :)  
Sweet  :)

Thank you so much. Really good advice.

I didn't even think about that effecting my draw length.

That kind of explains it

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline highelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Welcome to camp!     :campfire:
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."~Fred Bear~

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Wait till you draw a 70" bow!  SMOOOOOTH!!! You'll love it at your longer draw.  Not many custom bowyers build them over 64" which is an absolute shame. A lot of guys have never even drawn a longer bow at hunting weights. They don't know what they are missing, so easy to shoot.  Try 'em all is the key, but you will do very well at anything over 66".  Under that will be hit or miss, so be careful spending your money.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©