3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Went bunny hunting  (Read 171 times)

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Went bunny hunting
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Went out bunny hunting this morning and it turned into a stump shooting trip. Didnt find any sign of rabbits where there is always rabbits, maybe thats why the coyotes havnt been around for the last month.

Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Went bunny hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
I love this forum.  Someone who actually understands predator/prey population dynamics.  Here in MI, if there are no deer/rabbits/etc, it's because there are too many coyotes.  Most don't realize that if there are no deer/rabbits/etc, then there wouldn't be any coyotes, because they'd of moved on to more lucrative feeding grounds.

I've been going out after squirrels the last few weeks, but like you, i end up just spending the day stump shooting.  In retrospect, I consider none of those days where a squirrel didn't fall to be a failure.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Sorry you didn't see any rabbits. But bunnies or no bunnies, stump-shooting has its own rewards. I trust that you had an enjoyable day outdoors.  :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by gvdocholiday:
I love this forum.  Someone who actually understands predator/prey population dynamics.  Here in MI, if there are no deer/rabbits/etc, it's because there are too many coyotes.  Most don't realize that if there are no deer/rabbits/etc, then there wouldn't be any coyotes, because they'd of moved on to more lucrative feeding grounds.
So, if there are no prey animals, its because there are too many coyotes, but if there aren't any prey animals, there won't be any coyotes?   :dunno:
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
I don't know is this last big snow we had here killed off the rabbits but I doute it. The coyotes have been around all fall and in the last month I havn't seend or heard them around my place. Same with the rabbits they were all over now there isnt any sign of them. But htere is alot of rotten stumps out the to shoot, they just don't taste as good. LMAO
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Any number of my bunny hunts have turned to stump hunts.  Saw only one bunny in full after-burners last time a 60 yards out.  Here too they are scarce and spooked.  I saw as many coyote as deer this past big-game season.

What's all that brown stuff on top of your snow?

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
I know a spot with plenty of bunnies, when I get my longbow from MADDOG TRAD. ARCHERY, they better look out!
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
What's all that brown stuff on top of your snow?

Well After last week we had 14" of the white fluffy stuff but after the last two days of 70's and the couple days before that it was in the low 60's it didnt stay around very long. But does make it muddy.
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Any day out is a good day. My deer honey hole got all scrambled this year with a mountain lion. I'd of loved to have got a shot at the lion, but no luck. After a while the lion moved on to another canyon, but the deer never settled down before the season closed. I still enjoyed the hunting in that canyon though. Nothing like mountain lion tracks to keep you sharp. Maybe next year.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Thats a pretty green bow.Its fun just to go shooting . Stumps are easyer to clean than rabbits.You guy's keep talking about snow, is it realy cold to the touch?
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©