3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Changes with Compton's  (Read 666 times)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Changes with Compton's
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Just sent my ballot in. Looks like there is a big push to move Compton's from the Berrien Springs location. I think a rotation would be ggod Nationally, but I sure would hate to lose that annual rendevous in Berrian Springs. Sure has been good. I hope that whoever takes over  finds some good sites to rival or exceed what the rendevous in Berrian Springs has become. Good to see Whip taking over as the vendor coordinator. What's your thoughts on moving or keeping it as is?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Changes with Compton's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
When people try to change something that is working just fine, it usually never meets the expectations the designers were hoping for, and then usually falls to the wayside.  

Change usually happens when you get people who think they can run things better than the ones who are doing it, and 99.99% of the time it comes back to bite you in the arse.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Isn't broken, leave alone.............

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Moooseran:
Isn't broken, leave alone.............
I agree

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
While I believe that the Compton rendezvous should continue at the present location, I also think there should be a second annual event of some sort in the west. Not saying it should be a rendezvous particularly. Maybe a national winter awards/convention banquet or something.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Move it a round the country. Give people a chance to have a closer drive for them and cut down on expenses.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Seen this happen with the GLLI!

Enough said!

I haven't been able to attend the Compton's since it's inception, but know that Berriens Springs is a great place!

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
I also agree with moving it around. P&Y and PBS move around. Give us western guys a chance at going. Colorado would be a great start.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
One gathering is a huge undertaking but 2 gatherings almost make sense. Berrien Srpings is close to a huge population of traditional archers. I'm just wondering if the numbers out west will support another gathering. Maybe the Expo in Waterloo will be some indication as to whether the numbers out there can support a National rendevous. I don't see how Ohio is a prohibitive distance from Berrien Springs, in fact if your less than 12 hours seems reasonable to me. I know the candidate profiles seemed to support some change. I don't think the leadership will impair the organization, good people running.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Often wondered quietly to myself, why National Organizations such as Compton, doesn't tie up with other well attended shoots, lend a hand and be a co-sponsor at varied big shoots around the country to allow some who can't drive that far to participate in the "club" a bit more.

PBS moves around for their "convention" to allow people from varied areas to go, but who knows.

Always a good reason to NOT do some things lay people like me would think should be "easy."  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
Compton's does have a presence at many shoots as representatives are there for membership information and support. I think it makes a huge difference too that they do so much to get kids involved in our sport in many different regions of our country. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I know if it was changed annually I would probably end up attending more events like ATAR, ETAR, Wisconsin State shoots, and the IBO Trad World.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
When people try to change something that is working just fine, it usually never meets the expectations the designers were hoping for, and then usually falls to the wayside.  

Change usually happens when you get people who think they can run things better than the ones who are doing it, and 99.99% of the time it comes back to bite you in the arse.
Wouldn't ya know it, last year was my first year to attend, I joined comptons and vowed I will attend every year and bring friends.(no fun going yourself)  Just my luck, I find a good thing and then it's gonna get changed. Look at the positive side, it could help the membership and growth of the Michigan longbow association, when it don't have to compete with Compton. Yes I'm being sarcastic, but yet there is some truth in this.
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Leave it alone...especially since it's a short drive for me from Indiana...
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
I like where it is at. Great location, history etc.
TGMM

Offline Todd Greenwald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
I am one for Tradition & It would bring tears to my daughter's eyes and mine when I would have to tell her that it has been moved.  I trust that the will do they right thing.  Semper Fi
Michigan Longbow Association
USMC 1992-2000

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Gotta love the regional flavor of the responses.    :p
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Instead of moving a well established/traditional event, why don't the one's who want a premiere shoot in their neck of the woods put one together.  "If you build it, they will come"...As long as you make it worth their while.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by doug g:
I like where it is at. Great location, history etc.
I thought Mr. Compton was from Nebraska?

That Berrien Springs area seems to get some bad storms. I think the Rockys are way more beautiful also. JMO  :)
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
I drove 700 miles to go and will do it again, Last I checked that area is near the middle of the country, not exactly but close. I would love to have it closer but if it stays where it is that's OK also!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Leave it ALONE !!!!!!

If it ain't broke, there isn't a need to fix it.

Like several other people have already said, put together another one and call it "whatever". Storms or no storms, there will never be a "better" place to hold the Comptons Rendezvous than in Berrien Springs, Michigan.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©