3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Changes with Compton's  (Read 664 times)

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Changes with Compton's
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
I agree I'm worried that if its moved
it will never be the same.   :campfire:

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
If its possible to keep it thier its the perfect setting!!!!

Atmosphere is important and its hard to beat Barrien Springs overall for the setting.

I would hate to see it moved personally.

Keep the tradition alive thier if possible?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
I haven't even seen the ballots and question yet in my mailbox.  But this is great feedback, and you can bet that your opinions will be heard.  

Compton Traditioanl Bowhunters is far more than just a rendezvous every June in Berrien Springs.  Many people associate the name Compton with a great shoot that is held every summer, and never realize or understand the organization behind it and what it does the rest of the year.

But over the course of its existence the Berrien Springs Rendezvous sure has become one of the premier events anywhere in the country.  I've been attending for probably 8 years now, and like most of you, would sure hate to lose what has been built up with so much hard work of so many people.  It has become one of the highlights of my summer.

I like Doc Nock's suggestion of partnering with other large events.  Maybe we can expand our reach through something like that.  If I do end up on the board I certainly would like to explore options along those lines.  Compton truly is a national organization, and I think we need to find ways to involve the rest of the country.  

Whatever happens, please understand what a MASSIVE undertaking putting on an event like the Berrien Springs Rendezvous really is.  There is no way it could happen without the efforts of the Berrien County Sportsman Club members as well as all the Compton members and volunteers.  

There are a lot of very dedicated people that devote hours upon hours and days upon days of time every year to put this thing together.  And as good as they are, I doubt we could get them all to do it two or more times per year!  But that doesn't mean that there aren't equally as good and dedicated people throughout the rest of the country.  

We'll see what happens in the elections, and I know for sure that I haven't even begun to get a grasp on all I would need to know about all of this.  But keep the comments coming - it's all good!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
Compton's aint really that national in my book. Every event I have read about happened way out east. The rendezvous might as well be in Yemen since it's over a thousand miles away. If they want to get more national they have to have events in different regions of the country. Moving the rendezvous might not make it bigger but it might further recognition of the organization and attract more membership.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
BrownDogOwner, I agree with you. Perhaps Compton could partner with the Western States Traditional Rendezvous, for example. The Elk Foundation has a conventional every year in Reno and Friday evening is always a free night where little or no activities are planned. Might be a perfect night for a Compton banquet held in conjunction with the RMEF convention.

And those are just two ideas. I'm sure that others can come up with even better suggestions.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 06:15:00 AM »
I read this about a half hour ago and had to think about it for a few minutes before I new how I thought on in for sure.

My first response was no way why would you ever want to move it I love setting up there as a vendor and it's only an hour away. But if you walk through the camping area you see cars from all over the country that travel hundreds or even thousands of miles to attend this great event. It may be a great family vacation to travel west south or east to attend this event and while doing that you may have the chnace to see a part of our country you have never seen before meet, fellow Traditional Bowhunters fellow TradGangers you have never been able to meet. This could be a good thing for Compton's if it is done RIGHT, and not hastly. They need to find places to have the event that are at least as good as Berrien or better each year it will be a huge undertaking for those in cherge not as easy as having the same place each year.

Will we travel every year no, I don't see any way of making that happen with our income but will be happy to see new sites and meet new people when we can, If the leadership decides to go ahead and make the change.

Please only make the change if you are sure it will be a better event and a benfit for Comptons Organization.  I am looking over my ballot now and it will be interesting to see where this whole thing goes
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
Having had a hand in a National organization that puts on an annual event drawing 1500-1800 participants, I believe that it is best for everyone for such an event to have a "permanent" home. Be it on owned property or loaned property. I'd imagine that the current location is fairly close to the population  center of the country. In my experience, if you start moving it around every year, it will likely falter. Now if the move would be made to find a better annual site, then that's a different matter.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
People don't realize the huge amout of work that the Berrien County Sportsmans Club does every year to get ready for the Rendezvous. We have started already and it goes no stop until the day of the event. Club Members work thier tails off for the event. The number of volunteer hrs. is mind boggleing. I hope the Compton board adds a location and do not move the location.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
I know this isn’t in the same class as the Super Bowl or Olympics, but events that change locations have to start preparations and plans years in advance. Seems like a lot of work for something that’s already a lot of work.

On the other hand, when gas goes over $4 a gallon, it won’t matter to me where Compton holds the Rendezvous.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
I am trying hard not to be bias.  I have loved the Comptons Rendezvous for over 10 years now.  I started just going for the day then it turned into over night and now it has progressed into almost a full week of camping.  I love the location and not only cause it is close to my home but because it is an awesome setting.  It's a short run to the Lake Michigan beaches, there are the towns of St. Joe and Benton Harbor for shopping and very nice down town areas, and the event is right on the bank of the St. Joe river for swimming and even bow fishing if you choose.  

To me it's not so much about the location but personally I think Comptons would loose a huge asset by not allowing the Berrien County Sportsmans Club host this event.  These people work like crazy to put on a top notch event and in my book they have never failed to do so.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
There are some very wise men on the Compton Board of Directors.  They have seen the demise of many organizations.  They are not going to do anything rash.  They understand COMPLETELY the massive undertaking it is to have the premier event they have every year AND the importance of the local club who does the heavy lifting.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about this...

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
The reason the Comptons are such a great event to attend is the volunteers from the sportsmen club that host the event every year. Thank you Berrien Springs Sportsmen Club. I hope they do not change the location or the date. I was blessed to meet people from as far as Australia last year at the Comptons. Leave it alone.   :nono:
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by "Shedrock"

I also agree with moving it around. P&Y and PBS move around. Give us western guys a chance at going. Colorado would be a great start.

:thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
I live just a little over 4 hours away and yes admittedly I am bias to this being close to me. I understand what the western half of this nation is thinking, and yes it makes sense to want to have an event closer to you. I hope we don't destroy a great thing just for the sake of moving it, with that being said, the great people out west need to come together and put the effort into creating there Compton event, I have seen the effort berrian springs sportsman club puts into this, I have also seen the effort comptons put into it, it is a first class event !  How they combined the outdoor feel of the woods and the saint Joe river in a wilderness camp around the campfire setting, but yet have very nice modern facilities is amazing to say the least. If anything please create another rendevue out west and do not destroy this one.
  I haven't recieved my ballot yet, so all I know is what I am reading here.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
One idea is to alternate it every other year. From Berrien Springs to a state out west, then back to Berrien Springs, and so on. That might keep everyone happy.  :biglaugh:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I had been a little confused without the opportunity to see the information that came with the ballots.  So I didn't know if I just wasn't aware of something or what.

In a phone call this morning with Marv Cochran I was assured that there is no push to move away fro Berrien Springs for the summer rendezvous.  The Berrien County Sportmans Club does an amazing amount of work in putting the event on every year, and I don't know how a better facility could possibly be found.  

I've been assured that the only "push" or discussion is how Compton can grow into the national organization it is designed to be.  A second event of some kind would certianly help to expand the footprint, and that is definately an option that will be explored.  

A second rendezvous?  A banquet?  Indoor or outdoor?  All kinds of ideas, and input and suggestions from members who want to get involved will sure be listened to.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Come on bring it right here, New York City, at the Jacob Javitts Convention Center. It's huge and you know us rich New Yorkers can afford to buy new toys. lol
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
I've been a member since 2003 and this issue of a lack of a western event is not new.  It has been around for years and the Compton leadership is certainly aware of the issue. But it must also be kept in mind that Compton is still a relatively small organization. Trying to put together a second event out west  on the scale of the Berrien Springs rendezvous would undoubtedly tax the limits of the organization's capabilities.

On the other hand, telling folks out west to organize their own event (as was suggested above) is a slap in the face. The fact of the matter is that Compton has the "names" required to make such an event successful. Without their input and presence we would simply have what we already have.

I personally believe that some type of indoors winter event out west would have the greatest chance of success. Put it in a city like Portland and perhaps eventually it could also grow into an event like Kalamazoo. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for any of this to happen. I think Compton feels that the greatest potential for growth lies in the east, and perhaps they are right about that. That being the case, my suggestion to my fellow westerners is to support your state trad organization and groups like RMEF and work to make what we already have even better.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline NancyVTAS

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
With the push to get more members, you are limiting the western folk to considering joining a great organization that not all can participate. Many younger familys can not afford to take the time off and still have time to hunt later. I relize and support the idea that it is what we can do for Compton and not what Compton can do for us,but not all people see it this way. I am a member[proud] and will always support Compton's.  Also there are trad people all over the west.  thanks Dick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©