3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey passthru prevention  (Read 723 times)

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey passthru prevention
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Scorpio by Zwickey to stop passthrus while turkey hunting? If so did they work for you?
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey passthru prevention
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
I haven't used these. I have great results with arrows that pass through.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
Your arrow MAY pass through on a perfect shot and most likely won't... regardless. It's a non issue and I sure wouldn't do anything to limit penetration.

Besides, just the fact that the arrow is hanging out doesn't mean it's gonna help anything. They can get away just fine arrow or not.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
MUCH harder to get a pass through on a turkey than a whitetail.  You don't need or want Scorpio.  You need and want a string tracker.  By the way most of my experience on this comes from a 68 lB longbow.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
I agree, pass through them if you can. I have shot only a few turkeys with my long bow and all the arrows zipped through and the bird expired quickly with a huge blood trail to see.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Your arrow MAY pass through on a perfect shot and most likely won't... regardless. It's a non issue and I sure wouldn't do anything to limit penetration.

Besides, just the fact that the arrow is hanging out doesn't mean it's gonna help anything. They can get away just fine arrow or not.
X2

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I would have to agree with the passthrough as being desirable, but its not common, especially with a broadside shot where the wings can get in the way and hinder penetration! I shot one broadside strutting and the arrow knocked him right over on his side and he stayed in full strut for a few more seconds while laying on the ground! That was neat, he never made it back to his feet, the broadhead was just sticking out the opposite side wing so it was what i call full penetration but not a passthrough!

Offline White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Just make sure you watch your turkey after the shot, they may run!

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
I'm not stranger to bow hunting gobblers. I never unstood this why would you want your arrow to stay in the gobbler. Beleive me your gobbler can fly or run away with the arrow in him. TWO holes do more damage than one anyday. If you get a pass through your lucky.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
I have to agree with get the pass through if you can.  I hava been lucky enouph to have taken more than a couple Turkeys with my bow and have only had a few shoot completly through.  I also shoot the big 160 gr. Snuffer (Love that head) and from my experiance I would not do anything to limit penitration.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
Not sure why you would want to stop the leak?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
ditto
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
I agree, Pass through is GOOD!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
WOW! I must explain that this will be the first year I hunt them strictly traditional. I have always used a sh***un. It was my understanding that when using a bow you wanted the arrow to remain in the bird hindering it's ability to fly off. From what I'm reading I guess I was misinformed.

I thank you all for the responses. The Scorpios are off the list. Counting the days till Spring Turkey season!

Thanks
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:

X3

I have shot 5 turkeys so far and even shot them with two blades and made a "perfect" shot and the arrow still did not pass through.  I think a big three blade head will do the trick for ya.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
I have shot a couple birds that flew off with the arrow in them, 1 was a zwickey delta and the other was a 160 snuffer! In that instance watch them as closely as possible and remember where you last saw him when he disappeared! Play it just like its any other big game animal and let patience prevail, both of my hits mentioned earlier were less than adequate(gut shots), and the birds still die! Vitals on a turkey are the size of a softball and a shot thats 2" off the mark becomes a less than desirable shot, if you have any doubt give 'em an hour! When you take up the trail move slowly looking all the while for your fletching! Good luck!!!

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
I agree with the others. My experience with a 60# bow is the turkey absorbs the shock of the hit by giving sideways when hit. He is standing on two legs and you hit 18" or so above his contact with the ground, a pass thru would probably indicate a non vital hit(not in the boiler room).
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Why not a pass through?  I'm NOT inexperienced and I would prefer a pass through on a turkey as with any game animal.  The pressure of the shaft in the wound channel will impede the blood flow and like any wound, will promote coagulation.  

Best of Luck!

Kris

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Any good sharp head will do. I personly realy like to shot them threw the thighs it breaks em down and they have a hrd time flying if it pass's threw or stays and they expire quikly has been my luck

Offline Slinging 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
Have had both pass throughs and arrows stay in the birds and have had a higher success rate when passed through. Like stated before two holes are much better than one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©