3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey passthru prevention  (Read 724 times)

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey passthru prevention
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
There are different theories whether to stop the arrow or go for a pass thru. An isolated experience may have directed one to choose one over another. Note: Theories based a on a single data point are far from accurate. Also,note that there are successful hunters using both methods.

My turkey arrow set-up is heavier than what I use for deer and is designed for maximum penetration with a large 3 blade head. Don't really expect a pass thru, however I work towards it. Unfortunatley, I had have had two birds in years past fly off with my arrows and were not recovered. My experience in taking 31 birds has clearly demonstrated that I need a lethal penetrating arrow in conjunction with the largest BH possible.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
I'm one that likes keeping the arrow in the bird.  
You can't beat a 160 Snuffer for turks.  They do the damage needed and alot of the times they stay in the bird to slow them down even more.

Turkey absorb a lot of the arrows energy because they are so light on their feet. They actually get pushed/moved when the arrow hits them.   That is why a larger head like the Snuffers don't pass through many times.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Lots of good advice here from folks who have been there.  As you already know, be careful what you read, especially from magazine articles authored by folks you don't know are experienced hunters. There are a lot of armchair experts out there.

Case in Point: It was the spring of 1978. I was just out of school and a forester at Clark State Forest in Southern Indiana. I had never turkey hunted. We had turkeys on the forest I helped manage. I taught myself to call using a 45 record and a tape recorder -- listen, call, record, play back -- diaphraghm call.  No one had killed a turkey with a bow in modern times in Indiana at that time.

I read what I could find about bowhunting turkeys. This was the advice I gleaned from reading:
1. Learn to call
2. Bowhunters should master the diaphragm (hands free)
3. You cannot move in in the presence of turkeys.
4. Shoot low poundage with something on the broadhead to impede pass-through.

To shorten this story. During 6 AM hunts I had 5 toms within bow range (inside 20 yards). I never took a shot because I was hiding behind large trees and I didn't dare move (the advice) in a turkey's presence. The birds were always on the other side of the tree. One morning, my last chance, two birds (Tom and Jake) started to move off from about 15 yards.  I decided to leave the tree and sneak towards them (to keep up). I squatted and moved ever so slowly. To this day I don't know why I didn't just toss the book-learning, and shoot when I was free from the tree -- the birds never did spook!

It took another 3-4 years before someone finally killed a turkey with a bow. It wasn't me. I had moved to the South Bend, IN area by then and there were no turkeys.  Of course in those days biologists were taught (wrongly-by professors who didn't hunt) turkeys require unbroken tracts of forest at least 10,000 acres in size to do well....duh.

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks again, Some good information here and I appreciate all of it.

Only 65 days to go!
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline Bencattin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
I use the Scoripos and they work well. I like the arrow to stay in the bird. It makes it hard for them to fly and it will also hang up in the brush making it easier to recover the bird.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
Absorb the arrow theory? heeds Penetration?    I am sorry guys........I just can't keep my fingers silent on the keys anymore......I totally disagree from my experience.  A razor scary sharp head will zip though any bird under 20 yards from your deer hunting setup........I have never not shot through my birds.....
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Absorb the arrow theory? heeds Penetration?    I am sorry guys........I just can't keep my fingers silent on the keys anymore......I totally disagree from my experience.  A razor scary sharp head will zip though any bird under 20 yards from your deer hunting setup........I have never not shot through my birds.....
Are you shooting big Snuffers?  I shot through birds when I was using smaller heads.....woodsmans and 2 blades.  I can only give recommendations on my experiences, apparently ours differ.....
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
Just shoot'em in the head or neck, game over LOL!!! Easier said than done

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
As usual being redundant, however I firmly believe that for turkeys, that quick immobilization is key.

Bottom line - Choose the set-up and shot selection which you personally have the most confidence in. Then there will be a much greater chance of success.

Not an expert turkey hunter, but a seasoned one who has repeatably been and is still being tenderized by these critters.
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
I plan on putting on one of Howies' Varmit Busters behind my broadhead.

I think the added shock will work just fine for putting down any turkey we have here in Missouri.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
Turkeys can fly away even after hit fairly well. I like a stos broadhead but they all will work. Pass thru is just part of the game. It is not an indicator if a shot through vitals. Shoot was flies best from your bow and best of luck.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
I've only shot three turkeys (all hens, all with archery tackle, all pass-throughs, all died quickly), so I'm very much a rookie on this subject. But I still can't understand why anyone would want to limit arrow penetration on an animal.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
My current thinking is that I do not want to limit penetration on turkeys.

I have only had one pass through on about a 1/2 dozen turkeys.  All of these with 60# bows, two blades heads and 10gr/# arrow weight.

They are not easy to shoot through.

If you want to limit penetration, use a three blade and wreak more havoc.  

Granted six turkeys is not enough of a sample size to be conclusive.  But that is my opinion right now. After another 1/2 dozen, I may change my mind.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
My brother and I shoot a homebuilt string tracker mount design that Charlie Lamb showed using velcro to mount the tracker onto the side of the riser.

Guru has had great success with a string tracker. Here is a    link   for how he mounts one, and here is    another  for how to put one to use.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
Morningstar.....Both my 160 snuffers were pass throughs along with my WWs, Silver Flames and ABS Samurias turkey kills. Broke the neck with a Simmons Tree so it wasn't a pass through.  I will add my snuffers are sharper than the norm.

Getting back to original question, using Zwicky Scorpios........I have a lot experience with them and I would  advise Not to use them.
1. Bowhunting is a pass through sport. Period
2. There are several different sizes of Scorpios. If you use the size that doesn't freely slide up your arrow, then it will limit penetration to only length of BH. I had 2 lost birds in  
because of this
3. Scorpios work best on allumniun arrows. Wood and carbons will not work as intended due to wood finish and carbon diameter size
4. I have had 4 different birds run then fly off with Scorpios arrows in them. I lost them.

To those reading this thread looking for advise, use your deer hunting setup . do not change a thing. Contrary to what some believe,  a turkey has a large lethal kill zone Compared to overall body. Shoot through your bird and you will cut vitals or break his vertebra or break his hips or leg, or bleed him out from veins or arteries, or break his wings. The problem with most non lethal arrow hits is they are shot mostly broadside through the chest. Do your homework and study the NBEF turkey anatomy picture of vitals of strutting and broadside bird..............So where do I aim to shoot them.......RIght above the hips Broadside.......good hunting
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
No problem misfire my granddad always said If you don't know ask or you might look dumber than you really are.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
Pass thru or not -- I want a pass out!
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
I have taken 55 turkeys so far and have noticed a few things.
 No experience with the zwicky scorpios but have used the muzzy grasshoppers behind 2 blade heads which do not slide up the arrow. I use my deer set up as Joe buck said.
When I have used the grasshopper keeping the arrow in I have noticed that Jakes will run and fly lickity split. Toms have just layed over almost every time (which is why I like them) and then I will put another arrow in them. BUT...  many times I just go without the muzzy behind the broadhead esp when its a 3 or 4 blade. And had great success with pass throughs. Sometimes I think the arrow in makes the Tom freeze. *Until they see me then they take off on a run. I have learned to get an insurance arrow in before they see me if I can. Soooo...
Not a huge advantage either way IMO. Except maybe the Toms laying over when the arrow stays in, (only IF they dont see you tho). But the arrow in, seems to freak out a jake. Not sure if there is something to it or just coincidence. But is my observation so far.  

Doug
The hunt is the trophy!

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
I use a 160gr Snuffer and damage to a turkey is grievous whether you get a pass through or not.  I turkey hunt with 51# now tops, but I have shot them with a 60# and a big Snuffer and sometimes not had a pass through.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by David McLendon:
I use a 160gr Snuffer and damage to a turkey is grievous whether you get a pass through or not.  I turkey hunt with 51# now tops, but I have shot them with a 60# and a big Snuffer and sometimes not had a pass through.
Grievous is a good term.     :)       I use 56lbs and 650gr arrows.  The 160's always get enough penetration to do the job and in my experiences, most times (not every) the arrow remains in the bird.  Usually the BH is protruding out the other side. Two holes and the arrow in the bird is ideal IMO.  
On occasion a bird will get up and fly, even if lethally hit. Once they are in the air, chances of recovery get drastically lower, especially if they fly out of our line of sight.  
That's why I like my setup so much.   I've gone after birds with and without arrows in them, the arrow makes it pretty tough for them to get away if they don't die as fast as we'd all like.

One thing I like to do is wait for quartering away or a shot directly into the back.  I think that is the highest percentage shot you can make on them.  For me it's a less deceiving look as far as shot placements go.  I can always seem to identify just where the arrow needs to be when they are facing away.  Taking out bones and/or vitals is a recoverable bird.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©