3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow change  (Read 160 times)

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
bow change
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Hi, Been away from shooting for a bit. Still somewhat new to trad though. Been shooting a Savanna at 60#'s. Like the grip,feel and the way it shoots but need to go down in poundage though.Looking for advice on what bows(in a take down) would be comparable to the Savanna for feel ,I like the grip, and shootability.i'm thinking dropping back to 48-53 lbs. to hunt and practice with so I can go back to the Savanna for hunting also. What kind of poundage differences are good for keeping tone. I'm guessing too lite is not good. Have been looking at Cari-bow t/d on line along with a few others. Thanks JG

Offline dryfly

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow change
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
If your Savanna is a 3 pc. takedown also, then you may want to contact your bowyer and order a lighter set of limbs, or try to trade for a lighter set.

I wouldn't worry about going up to 60# for hunting the lower 48. Speeds, carbon arrows, etc. have given popularity to lighter poundage, and more shooting comfort over the last 10 year. I think you'll find that the overwhelming majority of today's hunting bow's are from 48# to 55#.

Good Luck

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
I have a Martin Savannah (think that's what your talking about), I know what you mean the grip is large and I like it. Kohannah makes a Fury and Fury Extreme (one piece and three grip options) I've looked at them for a while and think it would be similiar. He also makes a take down longbow (never wanted one so didn't look at it much). His prices are reasonable and has a good reputation.

Offline dryfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
Didn't realize you were talking about a Martin Savanna Longbow, sorry.

You might call Bob Morrison, and see if he has anything in stock. The grips on his bow's are incredible, and he may have something in stock that can work for you. He always has limbs of varying weights, and Bob himself hunts with 48# to 52#.

Going the used bow route has always worked well for me when I'm experimenting. Have you looked on the Classified section?

Good Luck

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
If you really like the Savannah you could also simply get a second one in a lower poundage for practice, etc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Reading some of the info here on Tradgang, I guess there are other bows out there that shoot a little faster or better, smoother, maybe fit me a little better. How much probably does't amount to a hill of beans, just would like to stay with the same style in a two piece. Haven't shot that many different bows to really know the difference. Would like to get something with some character over a shelf bow. Archer, I was looking at the Morrisons awhile back,really liked them but shyed away from them because they looked a little heavy, bulky compared to a thinner L/B. Thanks guys I'll be keep my hear to the ground

Offline dryfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
They are not bulky, or heavy. If you buy a one pc. Dakota for instance. Get one with Bob's grip, and half pinecones carved in the grip. Light weight, easy to carry, fast, and 58 or 60 inch works great for a 27 to 28" draw length. Give Bob a call, he can help with what your looking for.

Another bow I really like, is the Pronghorn by Herb Meland. Quiet, fast, great shooting bow. They come in one pc, or 3 pc takedown longbow.  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©