3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First String Attempt  (Read 132 times)

Offline Hogcoots

• Trad Bowhunter
First String Attempt
« on: February 18, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Yep.  Made the string jig myself.  Ordered some TS1 Plus and Halo serving which arrived today.  Went down to the workbench and started twisting.  Looks beautiful for a first string.  Only problem is it measures 38" and I shoot a 56" recurve.  Brace height might be a little high.   :knothead:

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First String Attempt
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Whoops!!!!  Do you know what happened? I twisted and untwisted and then twisted back a few times on my first attempt thats how you learn. Good luck don't give up bud!!

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
I used to have written down somewhere a formula for how long to make your bundles.  There was one for recurves and one for longbow (the difference was you started twisting closer to the end of each bundle on longbows and the different size loops you would make).  I cannot seem to find it.  Maybe someone else has it handy and can post it here for you.

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Sounds like you forgot the middle peg... The back of my jig is chickenscratched with lengths and markings.  The only way to learn is to do it.
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
I will agree with statedriller, you forgot to use the length adjustment peg or you built you jig wrong.  

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
That is a big difference. Sounds to me also that you may have missed the center peg.
It was my experiene that I had to modify the dimensions somewhat that I got off the web to make my first jig.
You also have to take the different loop sizes into consideration. I find that if I am making a string for a longbow with small tips, I have to make an adjustment over my recurce strings with much wider limbs and tips.
Learning the correct formula is half the fun.
Ken Thornhill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©