3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why are the shelves so wide?  (Read 235 times)

Offline 4Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Why are the shelves so wide?
« on: February 18, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
Most of my custom bows have an arrow shelf so wide that it is nearly impossible to achieve minimal fletching contact.  I know you can use a more "flexible" arrow but my quest has always been to use the stiffest arrow shaft possible to eliminate loss of energy from vibration.  I have "modified" the shelfs on most of my bows to eliminate the excess.  Even though I know it voids the warranty.

If you are going 3/16th past center then why not just leave about the equal amount of shelf on the other side of center.  What say you?

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why are the shelves so wide?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Many were made to accomidate a rest and not be shot off the shelf.  There are also a lot of guys who hold the bow vertical even when shooting off a rest and without the width they'd be bobbling arrows all day.

Like you, I've pulled out a rasp and made them better.  Usually I just stick on a rug and trim the edge with scissors.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
That is one thing that I love about Black Widow bows. Their shelf is just right in my opinion.

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
nothing wrong with cutting them down the way you want.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
To keep the arrow on them is my guess.  If your using overspined arrows your going to have shelf clearance issues.  Your solution solves that problem.  Properly spined arrows clear the shelf with the fletch bent away from the shelf as it passes the riser of the bow.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
I agree...modified old Red Wing Hunter.  Heck Fred modified his own Kodiaks  :)   Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
That is one thing that I love about Black Widow bows. Their shelf is just right in my opinion.

They do have it right  :thumbsup:
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
I agree that many are very wide, but If you watch slow motion video of a proper spined arrow being shot it never even comes close to the shelf or the riser. Archers paradox makes the arrow clear it and then some. Granted the more cut to center the riser the better as far as finding a arrow that shoots well! I'll admit to breaking out the rasp a few times myself....LOL   :goldtooth:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 4Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only doing some "whittlin".  I have even modified some longbows.  I have never had an issue with weakening a riser.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Funny, I shoot the weakest arrow I can tune.  Mainly because in a hunting situation I might short draw or with hunting clothes on I know I can't draw as far as a tshirt.  Never really thought about the lost of energy.  Don't you think that's minimal?

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline 4Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
As I get older my comfortable bow weight has been decreasing, so I try to extract every ounce of energy the bow has to give.  I love to hunt elk and it takes all my bow can give to push a broadhead thru the chest of a quartering away bull.  Using single bevel two blade heads has made a big difference also.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
As far as whittlin, I to have attacked a longbow or 2. I have a Bear Montana that has had the tips thinned and the grip made less blocky, cut to center and the shelf more radiused. Then end result.........a FANTASIC shooting bow that fits me!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
I cut the width of the shelf more to accomadate my grip than arrow clearence.. The big knuckle on my index finger contacts the shelf of many stock bows and by narrowing the shelf it allows me to rotate my arm and hand more comfortably.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I don't understand why there's a shelf at all. Why not taper both ends of the shelf so it comes up into a "point" where the arrow rests. That way there's minimal arrow contact, the arrow has all the rest contact it needs to stay on the bow.
Just a thought.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
On my 92' Sky - Sky Hawk I used a piece of match stick to raise the arrow up just a touch & one on the side to bring the arrow closer to center & in effect once I used the coverings it achieved the clearence I wanted & still got the arrow situated for proper spine for the bow.

Where others have rang in on the Archers Paradox is correct, the arrow when it is properly spined for the bow the arrow will clear the bow with no contact or effect.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Soon it will be hunting season again and more important issues will arise!   :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©