3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cock Feater? Up or out? Or four feathers?  (Read 250 times)

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
Cock Feater? Up or out? Or four feathers?
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
I've noticed pictures of people with their cock feather up lately. Is this just because you have been taught this way or do you have reasoning behind it?

I shoot mine with cock feather out just because it is the way I was taught what difference does it make any ideas or suggestion of why you shoot one way or another?

Lastly what about the four fletching I know more feathers means better arrow flight but do yall Helical these or offset four feathers or are they all straight fletch?

I'm looking to get ideas for some new arrows when my new bow gets here. Which still is in a while.
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cock Feater? Up or out? Or four feathers?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
I typically run with mine out but have tried it in a few times. If the arrow is spined right there should be no issues. I also love 4 fletching just kinda quit doing it to help save on feathers, but have some arrows crested and waiting for the ole 4 fletch pattern. I never could tell that they flew any better but sure looked cooler! Like I said earlier, get them spined right and run whatever fletch pattern you want!!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
If spined right it makes no difference as mentioned.  If improperly spined moving the cock feather position can provide clearance at the shot.  Personally all I shoot is 4 fletch.  No need to look when nocking the arrow and great flight control.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
3 fletch cock feather out has always worked well for me.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
But when yall shoot four fletch is it straight or offset, possibly helical?
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
When I do 4 fletch it's helical! Cock feather in, out, whatever works for your set up!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
How long of feathers do you use.

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
I shoot 3 5" in right wing helical. I shoot with the cock feather in, it just seems to shoot more accurately for me  :campfire:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
I have shoot with the cock feather out
3 5&1/2 LW Shield no issues.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Started out with cock feather out 47 years ago. It has always worked for me so I never saw the need to change to anything else.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
I do not think it makes a big difference just what people start with is what they go with.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
Your bow does not know the color of your fletching.

All that matters is you have proper clearance with the shelf.
Otto

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 12:51:00 AM »
Color? I was talking cock feather up or out.

Offline Slinging 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 12:55:00 AM »
I shoot mine with 4 fletched 4" feathers set at a helical. Just starting out and the arrows I shoot aren't 100% perfect for the bow I use, but the four fletch seems to take care of that! They shoot great!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
I think Otto was implying that cock feathers are a different color and your bow doesn't know what color is closest to the riser.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
I've used 4, 5" parabolics for ages. Just in the last couple years I've cut back to a 4 3/4" feather. I can almost always get a second cut that works just fine.

My arrow/bow combo is always well tuned, but I prefer plenty of feather in addition to a shaft that's finely tuned.

Good tuning has a big impact on how the arrow reacts while it's going down range of course, but it applies mainly to the arrow as it interacts with the bow and it's reaction to that.

Once the arrow is clear of the bow the fletch must stabilize the arrow against outside interferences like wind or unseen obstacles.

I feel that it's always smart to err on the side of stability when assembling a hunting arrow. I gladly sacrifice the couple of feet per second it costs me (if that!) for an arrow I KNOW is going to impact straight, true and on the mark.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
As far as helical is concerned... my own arrows are quieter if I don't crank on all the helical I can with my Bitzenberger.  Mine are set about half way in between straight and full. Plenty of guidance but quiet.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Generally speaking, tune the arrow to the bow, and what arrangement of feathers you use is of no importance at all.  The configuration you pick can be more of a personal asthetic choice. If it makes you happy, then you got it right.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
On all but my ILF out. The Ilf puts the flesh to close to the fletch and cuts my hand up so up works better? I've mess with the fletch and have not seen that much difference with a well tuned arrow. I use 3 4" Shield cut, rw helical.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Back in the 60's I started out cock feather out.  About 15 years ago I started shooting cock feather up, 3 5.5 shields with a medium amount of hel. I have gone back and forth with 5" and 5.5" fletch but stayed with the "up" position.

I am now "working" on some four fletch (4") just to see what happens...

Its all good if the arrow is tuned....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©