3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ground hunting  (Read 525 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
ground hunting
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Who hunts on the ground all the time?Found a good
area but not good for hanging treestands.The good
trees are always in the wrong place.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ground hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
I hunt from the ground only always have and always will. affraid of heights.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
I always figured that there is at least as much cover on the ground as anywhere else. And usually a lot easier to use to your advantage- tee trunk and root mass, ground depression, slope of a ridge, low branches.

There is no better way to hunt game than on the ground. Its very difficult and very rewarding. It requires you to face and overcome your insecurities as a hunter. Things like" I'm worried about my scent, my movement, my stealth, my silhouette etc...

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Always on the ground.  I love it and you can't fall off the ground very easily.  The key is to slow down when you in animals and use everything as a natural blind while still hunting along.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
<-- dedicated ground pounder.

Offline Ranger58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
It's the only way I hunt.  Tried the tree hanging thing back when I was confused with all the wheels and things, since then nothing but the ground.  It's amazing when deer walk by you within touching distance and they don't even know you're there.  I had one walk between me and the natural firebush I had in front of me this past fall, It was AWESOME!  Try it you may just like it enough to sell the treestand.
Stickbows, Sidelocks and Flyrods, anything to make it more of a challenge!

Bear Kodiak 50@28 “the girl”
Palmer Classic w/ 50@28 and 56@27 limbs
58 Kodiak 45@28
Kodiak 59'er 50@28
1958 Pearson Hunter dual shelf 45@28
and my original longbow I used as a kid.

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
I hunted on the ground all season this past season and i'm hooked.
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
I hunt on the ground. Usually in natural ground blinds that I build or a pop up blind. With a pop up blind, I brush it in and it works just fine.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
I do most of my hunting on the ground and have for many years.

If your thinking of trying it and your looking for information or tips, G. Fred Asbells' "Stalking & Still-Hunting The Ground Hunter's Bible" is a very good source.

Ground hunting can be humbling but it compliments hunting with a stick bow..

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Ground pounder here as well. In my opinion it's almost a necessity when hunting mulies. But I also hunt on the ground because I know absolutely zilch about how to properly place and use a tree stand. I live in the west and come from a rifle hunting background. When I made the switch to trad bows it simply didn't occur to me to hunt in a manner different from the way I was taught and already knew.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
I prefer to hunt on the ground and always let the wind dictate how I move through an area. I enjoy  sitting in ambush off of a trail or slipping quietly into a bedding area. I move real slow and watch and listen to everything. I bumped a covey of quail this Fall and should have stayed put for 10-15 minutes but nooo...I kept moving and got busted by a huge muley buck who was alerted by the quail. Rookie mistake, but what a sight to see, that buck leap up from his bed looking dead on at me at 30 yards and launching himself into the trees before I could get an arrow off. You never forget a sight like that. I love ground hunting!

Offline petertschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
I'll be hunting on the ground this fall. This will be my first year on the ground, and with a bow - so who knows what will happen. Can't wait to find out though.
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Been on the ground the last two years, love it! Bought a climber last year, used it once! As far as I'm concerned the tree's are for the squirrel's and bird's. I just use natural ground blinds I build, or mother nature builds. It's purdy cool to have deer so close you can hear them chewing. Heck of alot easier to take your chair find a good spot and set down. Not very often do you brake a sweat doing that!  :D  Good luck! Jason

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
The past two years I’ve hunting from the ground exclusively even though I hung tree stands I harvested a buck last year and a doe this season both from the ground

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
1.... WIND IN YOUR FACE
2.....COVER AT YOUR BACK IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN COVER IN YOUR FRONT.
3. BE PATIENT..IF THEY ARE CLOSE THEY HAVE NO CLUE YOU ARE THERE..NO REASON TO HURRY.
4... WHEN YOU START YOUR DRAW CYCLE FINISH IT AND SHOOT...DONT START TO DRAW AND LET UP..USUALLY EQUALS BUSTED......

GOOD LUCK !!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I love hunting from the ground. I have never hunting from a stand. Here in the west it just seems easier to move around, they sit in a tree. Alot more country to hunt, they back east. The secret is to move slow and keep your eyes open.

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
Ground only, here in CO.
Too much area to cover, gotta follow those elk.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
I have learned that having cover behind you is more important than in front of you. I been busted setting in tree tops and go undetected setting against a big tree. The pain of lugging around a climber and sweating first thing on a cold morning.. climbing tree's, got me to thinking a couple years ago. So I decided to keep my feet on the terra firma. Bought me a Waldrop pac seat and put it to good use. Havent' missed the tree's one bit! Let's keep this going for a while! I like reading about ground hunting. Where's Joe Skip? He's a ground hunting guru! Jason

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
The GROUND for the following reasons.....

"The Challenge"
"The Thrill"

I hunt only from natural ground cover.....I have only been Trad Hunting two years and have yet to over come "the challenge" or complete "the Thrill" but there is a passionate drive in me to fulfill both. There is not a walk into the woods in which I am not convinced that this will be the day that a nice buck or mature doe will drift into my range and my arrow will fly true. This vision stays with me on days ranging from peak rut through a 4th of July barbecue. It has me reading posts from awesome places like TragGang and searching youtube for videos from other more experienced folks who I can learn from. The wife doesn't get it but you guys know where I'm comin from. The best explanation of what I am describing here comes from a young guy over half my age who posted the following exceptional video and words I have ever seen. They were posted on youtube....Anyone of any age can inspire anyone else of any age with their own personal stories.....Check it out......
Trab    

“The virtue lies In the struggle, not the prize”
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
I still use trees, but I am constantly building ground blinds during scouting trips, so I have spots to slip into.  Some areas I hunt are to thick to work well with ground blinds, others are better for ground than tree. Any interaction with a whitetail is thrilling for me, so I like to keep my hunting style flexible.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©