3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3d shoots  (Read 393 times)

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
3d shoots
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
What is the farthest distances at 3d shoots at the traditional stakes that you all usually shoot from? Most if the ones around here don't have a trad stake. They say the trad stake is the women and kids stake, which is at most 20 yards if that.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline tpanic41

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3d shoots
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Here in Utah we have 3D shoots that have targets to 70 yards, and we shoot all of them. If there is a trad class it makes no difference and I love shooting the long shots!

Kevin

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
I just go and shoot. If there isn't a trad stake I pick a spot I would want to shoot from.

Its all for fun and practice anyway, I dont turn in the cards unless there is a raffle.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
No set distance around here.  A lot depends on the size of the animal.  A bison will be farther than a deer than a groundhog.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Slinging 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »
The club that I am a member of has a trad stake at every shoot. They are having one this sunday and will be my first one with the recurve and am very interested in how it goes.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:06:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure we shoot from the womens also, I just ask what color of stake I'm looking for! I like to step up to the open stake and fling some long ones also. Makes you feel good when you drill a good shot with a c-pounder standing there, thinking your crazy for trying, only to hear the special sound of arrow hitting foam at 45+ yards!

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Im going to my first trad shoot tomorrow. I was told the stakes average about 15 yds depending on the target. Also they said they set up realistic hunting shots thru limbs, etc. Ive heard alot of good things about this trad only club and cant wait til tomorrow!
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
Go and have fun....it always makes me laugh when the say "you trad guys shoot from the womens stake". The womens stake!!! Why would a women with a compound ,sights,release and the rest of the bells and whistles want to shoot from a special stake that was closer. Most of the women I know will kick a guys butt at most distances on any given day. Go to have a good time and practice the shooting skills needed to hunt whatever your game of choice is.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Ours have 3 stakes.  Kids, trad and compound.  We usually shoot from where we want.  It's just for fun anyway...
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline salemons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
I just started at Trad 3D this last year. I have been shooting with my 25 yr old daughter. Don't plan to win the event, just have fun. Don't worry about the distance. If you miss so what. If your new I suggest you bring some extra and not your best arrows. I have been known to shoot saplings, branches, rocks, cliffs, lakes, etc. Can be hard on arrows and sometimes impossible to find. You can always get more. The only time you need to shoot from the marked stakes per the rules is if you are competing against others.
Quinn Stallion Classic 53#
Quinn Stingray 35# limbs
66" Mohawk T/D 45#

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
If I was in it to win I'd bring my .243. Enjoy the shooting and let the wheelie boys argue over the rules and what class they shoot depending on the equipment they use. One old timer once told me (laughning of course) that he liked shooting Traditional at the 3D's because it meant he had "no class"!
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
Sometimes I think that I shoot the longer 3d targets better than the ones close up (note that I said "sometimes").  I think it is a matter of causing more concentration with the longer targets, ya know, more focus.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
A lot of clubs are different.  I just shoot from where they tell me to.
If they don't provide a stake for me to shoot from, then I don't return. Obviously they are not concerned with taking my money, so I don't give it to them.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
There is a great range about 20 minutes from my house.  The terrain is fantastic, course runs along a bluff and then down into the bottom and so on.

There are certainly more wheel shooter here than trad but they put out a combined stake for trad and something else I can't remember...  Average shot is 20 and under, however, they will have an elk and a couple other big body targets out to 30 or so from the trad stake.  Also they put some thought into their target setting..  They have several "bedded bucks"  Those targets are a bugger based on kill zone..

All in all, I wouls say targets are from 12 yds to 35 yds.  Great place to shoot run by some really nice folks.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Traditional is fairly popular in my area. We have a trad stake but it is often shared by "youth". You can pay to shoot for fun or pay a bit more to shoot for "money".

I go to shoot (test myself) rather than fellowship (I know, it's a character flaw). I like to arrive early, move quickly, and get out. I'm usually leaving as the good folks with chairs and binoculars arrive.

I did go to a big Trad Fling last spring -Kentucky Klassic. I joined a group of fellows, about 6, 2 of which I knew. I'll admit, I had a good time shooting targets and the bull with these fellows.  However, it took a lot LONGER than I'm used to spending on a 3-D trail.

Offline aroflyte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
Used to shoot alot of 3-d before iwreckedmy wrist. The IBO standard for traditional was 35 then shortened to 30 yds. That was the longest shot you would have to make if they used IBO rules.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
For years I shot wheels in 3d but very excited about trad.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »
The clubs around here vary quite a bit. Some have everything 20 yards and closer from the traditional stakes. Others go out to 40 yards or so.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
As much as I like the closer shots, if the target is big like an elk or caribou I don't mind shooting farther out......with in reason. Big targets could be 30-35 yards.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
I usually shoot at 3d shoots that are set up for compound shooters, and some distances are what I am not comfortable shooting. All I do as well is move up. I like to have shots that are 20-25 yards max and as realastic as I can get to real life hunting situations. I do not hand my cards in because score really doesnt matter to me that much.

The way I keep score is not the standered 10,8,5,0. I just tally up how many animals I harvested cleanly in the vitals. I went to a traditional only shoot yesterday and the targets were set up 20 yards and closer. Defintaly my kind of shooting  :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©