3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Internal frame or external frame pack for elk hunting?  (Read 354 times)

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Internal frame or external frame pack for elk hunting?
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
In September I will be going to Colorado elk hunting with my son and two of his buddies.  I'm in the process of accumulating gear for the adventure and wondered about which style backpack would work the best for hauling elk meat (hopefully!).  I already have a good internal frame pack, but know a lot of hunters use the external frame.  I'm not opposed to adding a new external frame pack if I need to.  What do you use, and how do you like it?  Thanks for sharing any information!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Internal frame or external frame pack for elk hunting?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
I have use an external frame pack.  Called the Alaskan. Bought it from Cabelas more than 25 years ago.  Think they still make one about like it.  Anyway, it works for packing my gear in and elk meat out.  Not the most comfortable pack in the world.  The advantage is it has a large main compartment, or one can just tie an elk quarter or game bag of elk meat onto the frame.  If your internal frame pack has a large main compartment, it will probably work just fine.  Most times, I bone the meat out before I pack it out to cut down on weight.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
I have the same pack from Cabela's as Orion. I've had it for quite a few years too and I know a guy that just bought one this past year.  I originally bought it because of the price and I didn't really know about many other lines of packs.  It's not top of the line but has served me well.  Our group has used it on a few elk and it has worked just fine.  You can buy a better pack if you want to spend a lot of money but if money is a concern it will serve you well.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Get the alaskan guide model from cabelas for around 200.00. These packs are tough and will get you through many seasons of meat hauling. The large open bag is great as previously mentioned. Ive never thought they were uncomfortalble when adjusted properly. Ive hauled the front, a hind, and both back straps off an elk for over 3mi. Three years ago we killed 3 bulls the same night and we made several trips and most the guys in my group have the cabelas packs and I have yet to see any falure save the aluminum  pins getting a little bent from to much weight. Ive hunted elk for about 20 years (sounds like a long time) and have used these external frame packs the whole time. I dont know if they would be the ticket for a real guide that packed elk every couple days for all the seasons but they dont cost 500.00 either.JMO Don

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
I use a external frame pack , military type, can be found at most army surplus stores.  Dont think I paid over $50.00 for it. Works great, but my two cents , carrying elk up mountains is HARD work!

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I had great success in Alaska last year with the Eberlestock Blue Widow. Carried light loads well, and very heavy loads very well
Talk with Whip here on TG. He has a lot of knowledge on packs

chris <><

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I think it depends if you are going to bone or just quarter your kill.  Bone in-framed.  Boned out- internal is fine.  If you already have a good one, that will suffice.  If you have that many guys you'll be good.  Learn the gutless boned meat technique.    (we use llamas but thats another story)

Offline arrowflight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Internals make great daypacks for weaving through rough places ,blowdown areas,and north facing slopes.For serious meat hauling externals with adjustable shelves are my 2nd favorite .1st favorite is panniers on my horses....The Cabelas already mentioned is good for the money.Other ,more expensive packs are available.You need to do a net search for "boning elk" prior your trip.It is senseless to haul bones out.I don't haul bones even when using horses.Good Luck and Enjoy the experience
We are all tied by a bond of the love of archery.Enjoy,promote,and respect the gift.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the great advice.  We will be boning the meat (hopefully the elk cooperate).  I was at Cabela's last Thursday and checked out their external frame packs.  Their Outfitter is the one that my son and one of his buddies have, and both really like them.  They are a little bigger than the Alaskan I or Alaskan 2 packs.  It sound like Cabela's make a pretty decent pack for the money.  Even though the meat will be in game bags, I'm not sure how excited I am about putting boned out meat in my internal frame pack.

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
if you are only gonna pack meat out i think external is the way to go, but if you are gonna use it for anything else i would get an internal. I have never had a problem humping bone in quaters out with my mid-size internal
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
Borrow some packs and use proper weight distribution and go hiking with about 90 pounds(ave. elk x 4 loads plus a fifth load for capes/antlers or steep and big distance) and see which one is more comfy for YOU. Lots of packs sag,puke, and break, or self destruct after 50 pounds or so. Why? Because they are not designed to haul heavy loads of meat and such. A heavy load for most recreational camping hikers is about 50 pounds. Go for expedition packs and they will have more stout frames and suspensions.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
PM sent.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
I used to have the Alaskan pack, and packed my first elk out with it.  It worked, but there are better options.  On that first one I had to go back to camp for my pack frame before carrying anything significant out.  

Now, I want a pack that I can hunt in all day, and be ready to pack meat on the first trip out if I do get lucky.  For the money, I really like the Eberlestock packs.  They pack meat well, and function well as a daypack also. There are better (and far more expensive) packs out there, but for me, the Eberlestock have proven themselves to be more than capable for what I need.

Give me a call anytime if you want details, or look at them on my website below.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Thanks for the PM stalkin4elk.  Nice looking packs Whip!  I'm getting fired up to go just reading about this information.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Bernie B.

I've got one of those Cabelas external frame packs that I'm wanting to sell cause I don't need it. It's just like new other that the camo is faded. took it on one trip other wise it's been hanging in the shed for several years now. If your interested I can send you a picture of it. Other wise it's going on craigslist as soon as I get around to it : )

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
Mystery Ranch Nice Frame - best of both worlds.  Rides like an internal frame but with all the benefits of the external.  I bought the 6500 cu in with a load sling and love it.  I see you're from Iowa...that load sling has proved invaluable in carrying stands around my whitetail woods here in Indiana as well.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
JJB2  well put.  Most my hunting partners use Mystery Ranch crew cabs with NICE frames for all sorts of stuff.  They suck down like a day pack or expand for everything from hauling meat, tree stands, ground blinds, camping gear etc.  They are made in the USA as well.   Love em.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
I use a Bull Pac external frame for packing everything from the trail head 4-7 miles up to timberline and camp.  I have a Bisongear "Elk Pack" filled with gear attached to the frame that I use daily while in the field.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
In our elk camp, everyone has a soft day pack and an external frame pack for getting meat out.  I bought my Cabelas Alaskan II back in 1993 I think and can't remember how many elk it has packed out.  Everyone else has either the same or a similar pack.  

The internal frames like the Eberstock might be the cat's meow but I've never had a reason to change what has been working for me.  If I was starting from scratch I'd definately carry heavy loads in both and see which I liked.

In any case, make sure the pack/frame can be adjusted to fit your body and has plenty of adjustments that can be made on the fly.  Top notch hip pads are a must so you can shift weight from your shoulders to your hips as necessary.

Good luck
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Thunderhorn25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Great thread, thanks for asking...makes a guy think a little.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©