3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why not join?  (Read 938 times)

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Why not join?
« on: February 19, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
When I look at the member numbers for Compton, PBS, and our state organization, it makes me wonder why we have 29,000 members on here, but so few actually join the organizations that fight and support our traditional bowhunting. Who wants to chime in?
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why not join?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Well, I may not make some folks happy, but other than the West Virginia Bowhunters Association to which I belong, no other organization of those mentioned OR ANY OTHER has been on the front lines here in my state fighting for bowhunting.  I find plenty of fraternal fellowship in my local trad archery club and the WVBA to satisfy that social need.  I guess those are my reasons.  :saywhat:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
I can't speak for the other 28,999 memberes here but . . .

Since it is highly unlikely I will go to Michigan for the rendezvous, Compton doesn't hold much interest for me.

I am not paid to use or hunt with bowhunting equipment, and "professionalism" is not why I bowhunt, but otherwise I agree with the PBS concept and charter and if it was $12 a year I'd join.  Part of my job is ensuring professionals are held to ethical and legal standards . . . and many are not.  An "amateur" is someone who does something only for love or enjoyment - that's me and bowhunting.

NY does not have a statewide traditional archery or bowhunting association.

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - - Groucho Marx
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
I belong to several National and State groups that fight for hunters rights. On a state level I'm a county rep for one of those groups. In my own county there are less than 20 members, folks just won't spend the time or money to support what they love. I know times are tough and money is tight, but when hundreds if not thousands of dollars are spent on your sport it seems $25 a year to support what you love is not to much. I'm not sure if it's apathy or being self centered or what the cause but it's rampant and at some point it will cost us all! I guess I'll continue to what I can but it is hard to sometimes!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Stumpkiller, New York Bowhunters supports bowhunting and has done a lot to promote all aspects of the sport!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
David, You are a member of your local club and your state org. Everyone doesn't have to join everything, but what about all those out there who don't belong to anything? A state org. can influence their fish and game department by simply having member numbers even if those members aren't all active.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
i support them all primarily because of what they do to try to involve the youth because that is where our future lies...
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
NY dosesn't have a traditional organization and our state group is not worth my time.  The only time you hear a peep from them is when they're against something, which seems to be everything, all the time.

I don't have time for the negativity and the short sightedness.  I also don't care what other hunters want to hunt with and when.  I want sportsmen and women to be able to use the resource however it pleases them.

I'm currently president of my local archery club.  I can do more for the support of bowhunting through them then our state org.  And I do.

I have no interest in a national organization.

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
I live in an isolated corner of James Bay, in northernwestern Quebec.

I don't even know where the next closest bowhunter lives.

I have been an associate member of PBS for quite a few years and probably will never make regular because I don't know anybody.
However, I keep renewing.

I am also involved with Pope and Young and  Boone and Crockett.

I am subscribed to Traditional Bowhunter and Bowhunter magazines.

And some local.

I just like feeling that I'm contributing a little to preserve hunting in the outside world.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
NCBA lobbys for all bowhunters in NC. They have done a great job of that since the early 80's. That is where I'll hang my hat, with NCBA. I hear those professional societies don't lobby. Please correct me if I'm wrong. What exactly do they do if they don't promote archery or bowhunting in the legislative and legal arena?
Member NCBA

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member

Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member

I join every local club I shoot at within 100 miles of where I live to help support the clubs.

As far as Comptons or PBS, I do not know of any local chapters of these organizations and don't even know anything about them. I might would join if I knew more about them.

I do not understand why so many archers and bowhunters do not support organizations such as local clubs and state organizations. I live in a metropolitan area of about 3/4 million people and we struggle to get 100 members to join local clubs. Our statewide organizations (the ones that actually fight for us at the legislative level) don't fair much better when you take into account the number of members compared to the numbers of archers/bowhunters in the state. It truely makes me wonder sometimes.

Bisch

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
I belong to organizations that stand up for and support the things that I value and treasure in my life.  My voice is small in the grand scheme of things, and I think that organizations unite people with common bonds and help us to speak as one voice.

Each organization has its own purpose and goals, and I belong to a number of them for that reason.  Compton is about much more than just a rendezvous every summer (although it is a great one!)  PBS is not just for people who make a living in the industry.  It is for anyone to whom bowhunting is a way of life.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard that Compton is a just a group that does a rendezvous, and PBS is for professionals who make a living at the sport.  Nothing could be further from the truth, and that only tells me that you reall haven't checked out the organizations and gotten to know what they really do and represent.

My state organizations are the ones that I expect to stand up and be heard when it comes to local issues and concerns.  

If you are the type that teaches a group of kids to shoot at 4H, writes letters to your legislator on all the issues that impact bowhunting, and is always at the forefront promoting and protecting our rights as bowhunters, then maybe you are already doing your part.  

But if not, I think that supporting bowhunting organizations that have ideals and beliefs similar to your own is a good way to have your voice heard.

Take the time to check out some of the national groups.  Find a member and ask him or her to explain the organization to you and find out what they really do.  On the state and local level, get involved and attend the meetings.  If you don't like the direction of the club make your voice heard.  Get involved, and make a difference.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
Some bowhunting organizations are excellent, hard-working groups that actually value their membership. Others, quite frankly, aren't worth the price of the postage to mail in a membership application.

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
Some bowhunting organizations are excellent, hard-working groups that actually value their membership. Others, quite frankly, aren't worth the price of the postage to mail in a membership application.
Well said   :thumbsup:
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 01:10:00 AM »
It's easy to come up with excuses and whines about why not to belong.   Personally, I wish all bowhunters who benefit from hard fought for seasons would get involved somehow.   It is so easy for anyone....and I've seen it done many times....to stand up - oh yeah, it takes some guts sometimes - and voice their opinions, and argue their points, to change the whole direction of an argument or plan.

The world is run by those who show up....how true it really is.   We should all show up and make our concerns heard.   Good policy and direction is born of good debate.  Just because you don't like so and so who is in charge, doesn't mean you can't have a voice, can't change the course.   Get involved.  

This has been a pet peeve of mine forever.   No excuse for not contributing to those who fight for the things you enjoy and take for granted is a good excuse!   That's my 2 cents.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 01:19:00 AM »
I don't like the politics.

I have enough stress with work, and dealing with the public everyday. Traditional archery is my escape.  

I am a life member of our State Bowhunting organization.  Spent 10 years on the Board, teaching bowhunter ed.  Didn't like where archery was headed and was ruining my enjoyment.
Was going to become a scorer for P&Y, but found myself not agreeing with techies and methods used for the "Book".  I now think that the "Book" is bad for archery.  Great for the industry, but bad for archery. I was member of P&Y, PBS, ATHA, & Compton's.

Backed away and my enjoyment has never been so high. That was 2003, don't regret it a one bit.

I now do my own thing, have introduced many, many kids to archery.  For some it has stuck, some it hasn't.  I promote traditional my way.

Finished teaching my son how to make wood arrows today, he made his first bow string.  He is in the process of building his first longbow with the tutelage of a friend that is an exceptional bowyer.

Traded a longbow today with a guy so he would have a more appropriate setup.  He has shot a Mathews for many years.  Maybe I can flip him.

I still get involved with the Game commission when there is an issue that truly matters.  Still stop in to the Regional office and visit  with the policy makers and biologist who I happen to know.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 01:31:00 AM »
I belong to the PBS and couldn't be happier with the organization. I have met many members and they put on a great Elk hunt for my son Adam and a dozen other teenagers; one of the highlights of our hunting experience.
On the other hand we belong to another organization and each year I ask myself why renew? But it may be my own fault for not getting involved enough.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
I am a member of Compton, and have been since 2003, because: A) they promote our sport by actuenting the positive aspects of hunting with trad gear rather than denegrating other hunting methods; B) they have a wonderful program aimed at getting youth interested and involved in shooting traditional bows; C) Snce  Compton is the ONLY national traditional bowhunting organization we have I personally believe it's in our best interest to strengthen the organization by joining in order to increase its clout and effectiveness.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
i recently joined compton traditional bowhunters and wisconsin traditional archers for exactly the reasons both whip and mark baker mentioned, and i am glad i did. after years of being somewhat of a "loner," i am hoping to help make a difference by belonging to and supporting groups that educate as well as provide commeraderie.
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
I have to kinda agree with all that oppose. Take for instance NRA. I was a member for years. They do nothing in the big sceme of things. I get to see their president in Africa hunting but thats about it. If there was an org. that did things that actually made a difference I would whole heartedly join.

I do know little of Compton, but I am checking on it as we speak..... From what I see though it seems like a mice fighting a lion.....
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©