3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why not join?  (Read 937 times)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why not join?
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Compton member, no local chapter, it is a NATIONAL organization that promotes traditional archery. Not a records person but I like Compton's scoring methods that gives "points" for the way/equipment you hunt with. I'm a Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member. Still trying to find how I fit there. I'm thinking of joining the Wisconsin Traditional Bowhunters even though I'm not from there. They seem to be proactive, family oriented, and a fine group of tradional people. I join because I can, because I think I belong, and because I care. If the organization changes I drop and look elsewhere.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
I belong to most of those mentioned, as well as a few more as a gesture of support. I dropped out of PBS in favor of Compton's. Life member NY Bowhunters. Do what you can.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rooselk:
I am a member of Compton, and have been since 2003, because: A) they promote our sport by actuenting the positive aspects of hunting with trad gear rather than denegrating other hunting methods; B) they have a wonderful program aimed at getting youth interested and involved in shooting traditional bows; C) Snce  Compton is the ONLY national traditional bowhunting organization we have I personally believe it's in our best interest to strengthen the organization by joining in order to increase its clout and effectiveness.
Well said Rooselk, them are the reasons I am a Comptons member, I live 4 hours from the rendevue and that is also nice. I am also a Michigan Longbow member, I like what they represent in my state and what I see them doing for the kids, plus the small magazine they both put out is informative and nice.

I was going to join PBS, but after a little bit of investigation into it, back when they were offering free sponsorships here on the forum I didn't feel comfy with what I was reading, sounded to mushy to me with having an existing member sponsoring you, I'm not into holding hands and having someone sponsor me, my feelings were what happens if I don't do what my sponsor expects me to do like go house to house converting wheelie guys or whatever, yes I'm exaggerating ! But I'm trying to put my feelings into words and once again I find myself not being good at that.  Plus i didnt care for the name profesional, i am traditional, not profesional, but from what i could read in the bylaws that was just a wording thing. I write all this because i was very close to joining PBS, but the spoonsership thing kept me away.I will gladly support a good cause and right now I see Comptons and Michigan Longbows being that cause.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline BILL LEU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Life member of VFW
Life member of NAHC
Life member of NRA
Life member of WBA
Life member of WTA
Member of the KBA and past memberships of UFFDA. I've attended alot of the Deer&Turkey Expos over the years, instructed kids at summer camps shooting bows. Bottom line is you have to give back at some point and time its not just take,take,take even if it means in small monetary donations, it doesn't take much.
"Bow hunting already has its hero's, its our endeavor to keep the fire burning"- WTL

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
dan d, the PBS sponsor thing is only if a member decides to pursue regular membership status.  I don't know the number breakdown, but I'm pretty sure that the majority of PBS members join as an associate and stay that way.  There is no pressure or expectation that everyone will want to pursue regular membership.  And there really isn't much functional difference between the two levels.  I've been an associate for years and have never felt any different than anyone else in the group.  There is no sponsorship required for associate membership.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
I'm an associate member of Pope and Young. I just feel they are the most effective voice for bowhunters. Thats my only membership at the moment but I also like Compton, PBS, and Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and what they stand for. Perhaps I'll broaden my affiliations this year.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
dan d, the PBS sponsor thing is only if a member decides to pursue regular membership status.  I don't know the number breakdown, but I'm pretty sure that the majority of PBS members join as an associate and stay that way.  There is no pressure or expectation that everyone will want to pursue regular membership.  And there really isn't much functional difference between the two levels.  I've been an associate for years and have never felt any different than anyone else in the group.  There is no sponsorship required for associate membership.
Thanks for clarifying that whip, I thought a person had to become a regular member and the associate was just a newbie status requirement. I thought I was joining the skull & bones club or whatever their called and had to go thru a indoctrination process Lol, I was kinda scarred ! Lol  
Dan

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Just my 2 cents but remember, it's not individual bowhunters who will set the rules and regulations for our sport. It will be the voters and lawmakers.

The greater the number the greater the respect and greater the chance their opinion will carry weight.

I wonder where gun owners rights would be in todays world, if there never was an NRA.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Member of Compton
Member of Minnesota State Archery Association
Member of NRA (I don't hunt with guns)
Member of State Traditional Organization
Member of two Archery Clubs

These made sense to me others do not, I can see things stopping people from joining, a particular viewpoint that an organization takes that may not agree with personal beliefs. It has happened to me.
Someone mentioned they couldn't make it to the Compton yearly event - my club has the biggest shoot of the year the same weekend (Coon Rapids Shoot), every year, I stay at home and can't get myself to drive to Michigan over my own.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Stumpkiller, once again you nailed it bro!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
Compton
Mich Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Assn

Was in PBS but didnt realy see eye 2 eye with their 2 tier organization, I feel I'm just as good as the rest of them weather they have hunted with me or not..dont feel I need to be blessed by anyone!

Eric

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:
didnt realy see eye 2 eye with their 2 tier organization, ..dont feel I need to be blessed by anyone!
Eric [/QB]
Westbrook, that's what I was trying to say in my longwinded post, you wording is better !
Dan

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Junk mail. I will never join a large organization  or give my name to a charity again as they sell the info to others.

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
If we have 29,000 members than maybe Rob and Terry should come up with a national org. like PBS and take up the good fight. It would be interesting to see how many members actually participate. My only complaint is I live in the wrong part of the U.S. because all of the action is in the central and southern states. This is jmo.

Rick [Grouse]

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
How many active members do we have should be the question ?  Of that 29,000 , how many asked one or two questions and no longer even come here ?  I do agree Tradgang by itself should be (is) a national organization, politicians look at numbers (tax payers) if that's the direction we are going, but tradgang also helps a lot of young people get started too, heck the youngsters live online, what better place to get your info than Tradgang , I bet this website has helped more youngsters than we all realize !
Dan

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Join or don't join. Complain or don't complain. Do or do nothing. Even if you don't agree or support traditional groups you will still reap the benefits of their hardwork. So, sit on the sidelines, be a benchwarmer, and cheer on the players.   :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
grouse,  why would Rob and Terry want to go to the trouble of making a national organization when none of you would join ?

I read thru some of these posts and feel a bit let down, yet,  it wasn't totally unexpected.

Heck, half of the negative responses cite situations that aren't even factual.

The point about joining is two-fold.  

One, you get to potentialy gain entry into a group of folks that like to do the same things you do.  More friends. More potential experiences,  More buddies of the same ilk.

Two, you add your name to a list of folks that are about similar things.  That list counts for something.  Think it doesn't ?

Eqypt just went thru a huge change. .   because of two or three people with a dream and a desire ?  No. because hundreds of thousands actually said "enough" !

Libya is under tighter rein, but the folks want some of the same. .  freedom.  They are getting shot over there with automatic weapons, at least if you can believe the news.   Will one or two make a difference ?  no,  will thousands ?  hundreds of thousands ? millions ?

Wisconsin is going thru a situation regarding union collective bargaining.  It is in the news.
Without getting into right or wrong, do you think those folks would have had a chance against the new Governer with just a handful voicing up. .  the rest just hanging around being comfortable with their position in life ?

There were ten thousand, then twenty five thousand, then forty thousand protesters, with major school districts in Madison and Milwaukee and elsewhere shutting down because of folks actually voicing their concern.

They are forcing dialog because of their numbers, pure and simple.

Like them or hate them, do you actually think we would be owning guns in much of the USA if the NRA was never around ?  If you think "yes" I suggest you read the paper some more.  Is ownership of guns and the right to assemble and voice our concens of any importance to us now in the 21st century ?  See above (Libya, Egypt, China, etc etc etc).

Sometimes  Numbers Count
Chuck

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
It is a little frustrating to me to look back at men like Mr. St.Charles and others who had to put time and effort into fighting for archery seasons and then see some who don't want to do continue this. It's almost like we are saying "thank you and now we have our seasons and let's just enjoy them".
But we all know that unless we, as a united group, ban together there is many who would love to take it all away.
We should want to further the love of and experiences of bowhunting that we all hold dear.
I just hope that everyone who is not a member of a positive organization, such as PBS, you would sincerely look into it and find out the truth and not preconceived notions or what was once told you and make an informed openminded decision. It is for the goodwill of bowhunting, it is not about status or a patch on your chest. It is truly about our bowhunting heritage and it's security.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
No one fights for bowhunting seasons as hard as the game wardens in states where their financial existance depends on license sales.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
I'm a regular member of PBS, joined in 1972 and dropped out sometime in 1979 due to changing interests and work but they gladly took me back in last year and I was glad to get back in. It's a good organization for bowhunting.

I'm also a member of our state organization Maryland Bowhunters Society which is right in the trenches in trying to get 5 Sunday deer hunting dates in Carroll County.  Without their backing and help this bill would have died long ago.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©