3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why not join?  (Read 936 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why not join?
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
The old adage still does and probably always will hold true. "10% of the people do 90% of the work" I'm tickled there are guys like Mark Baker and Joe Lasch, (just a couple of many I can personally vouch for) that are willing to go above and beyond.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
It's the MATH.

Seriously, I belong because Comptons, NRA, RMEF and others are only as influential as the size of their membership.  I don't always agree with them, but I know they have my overall best interests in mind and will work for same.  It's only a small part of my annual hunting expense.

I'm not cheap and believe in paying for what I get.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Doug,

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm a member of one national bowhunting organization; three states ones; and two local archery clubs. But the unfortunate reality is that some organizations aren't looking out for the bowhunters of their state, only the pet peeve agendas of their leadership. At one time I was of the opinion that pretty much all bowhunters should join and support their state organizations. But that’s like saying everyone in town should eat at the local restaurant just because it’s the only one in the area…even if the food is full of roaches and rat poop.

Good organizations should be supported and helped to flourish; bad ones that don’t value their membership, berate or run off members with differing viewpoints, or whose biggest sales pitch is guilt should be left to die on the vine…and many of them have. I just don’t believe in supporting bad organizations simply because their name and my address share the same state. If the local diner puts hair in my breakfast, I won't feel the least bit guilty about not coming back for lunch.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
Well Mr. Campbell....that pretty much says it all!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
And at some time down the road....that 10% gets tired !!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
I guess I will be the first to say it... Until this thread I didn't even know about Comptons.

I belong to the NJOA (state organization not specific to trad, but a good group that seems to get a lot done) and the NRA.  There are plenty of other groups I could belong to, but most of them always seemed more farternal than political.  Not that a fraternal group is bad (in fact, I am going to join one this year), but I generally prefer to join organizations that keep me informed and fight the good fight.

Does the fact that I have never heard of Comptons or consider P&Y a fraternal organization say something about me or them?  I've been a member here since 2007 and this is the first I have heard of Comptons.  That's pretty low profile.

Another reason I haven't joined some organizations is that I haven't been able to find a clear mission statement about them.  I can't really determine what they are about.  "Promoting such and such" doesn't really tell me a lot.

But... I do subscribe to a ton of mailing lists including the state legislature list, so I keep up on what's going on, write letters, attend open forums when possible, etc.  I do what I can.

I like being political.  I like fighting for things I want.  I think those that don't either expect someone else will do it, they don't expect that they will make a difference or they work too hard and have too much else to worry about just feeding their family and paying their bills to be bothered.

Anyone have a list of "must join" organizations?
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bighornangler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
I belong to the UBNJ state organization, the NRA, and the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance. I try to keep informed and do my part when called upon. There are a lot of good organizations out there and some that don't show me much. In any event, I feel I can't join them all. Of course they all want dues and donations and living on a fixed income limits the $ I can part with. My conscience is clear.

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
Chuck and Ron,
             I was only pointing out that if there are already 29,000 members then what a strong group we would have from the start. I'm sure some would drop out, but every day we gain new members so this would have to offset this to some degree. Sorry for steping on such sensetive toes.

Rick [Grouse]

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
10% are driving - everyone else follows or get in the way.

To the original question though - 29,000 or whatever there is an assumption made that all tradgang members are bowhunters - or dedicated to bowhunting - which is not true at all.

Many target archers - many who shoot trad at 3d targets then compounds at animals - many who shoot trad bows but fill tags with muzzleloaders and guns. There is such a wide range of particpants here I think it is unrealistic to expect folks to support the solid ideals of PBS or even some state organizations. Good beliefs and efforts yes - but MOST outdoorsmen and women may simply disagree or at least not want to sign on promoting serious bowhunting - particularly as a way of life.

Then there is laziness - Huge - among all types of people - but rare among dedicated bow only hunters.

<><
<-----------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Mith-in-NJ: Sorry to say that if you are a regular on here I find it hard to believe you've never heard of Comptons. There are quite a few posts and pictures about it every year. Not trying to be smart a##.

Lots of viewpoints about this. I am of the opinion that not every one is suited to be a member of Comptons or PBS. I just mention them cause they are a couple of well known organizations. I do think that more of us should at least be a member of group, whether it be local, state, or national. How many here posted on the passing of Glenn St. Charles who was one of the pioneers who founded P&Y and put bowhunting on the map, and yet don't respect our forefathers enough to support bowhunting at some level.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Ok you asked. Years ago I when I was heavily involved with my local state assoc of bowhunters I joined the PBS. A year went by with nothing, no membership card,no newsletter etc. I thought nothing of it as I knew even our State assoc let some things drop thru the cracks. Stuff happens.So one day I get a renewal notice, so I called and someone apoligized promised if I renewed it would be taken care of. Again nothing. Still didn't push it much figured what the heck it's a great cause If I never get anything from them.

About this same time during my second year of nothing membership the PBS approached our state assoc(as they did all state assoc's) and requested we donate $2,000 and send a single parent and child to go on a all expense paid bowhunting class hunt to introduce new people to bowhunting. We did the math and figured for the cost we could buy a dozen bows, archery equip and introduce alot more folks. If memory serves me right that first year we toted that equip around and had something like 300 kids shooting bows. The next year we did 4 or 5 times that amount of kids and parents exposed. Hard to tell how many new folks we introduced archery to with the original archery equip we purchased. Now back to the PBS again if memory serves me correctly their PBS youth hunts looked like the who's who's of bowhunters and their kids living it up hunting somewhere. I honestly believe that went on like that for two years according to over the counter mag articles and photos I saw. If they didn't have enough needed participants it sure didn't look good on their part to even have it rather than have it with all the "famous" bowhunters and their kids. Now again along this same time frame I remember somehow the parties in power defending who they had chosen to give college scholarships to. This was at the same time I was looking dead in the eyes of paying for my twins to hit college. So long story short when my second renewal notice came in the mail, the only thing I had gotten from them in two years after phone calls etc I'm guessing you can figure out why I never renewed.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with not being a member of the very fine organizations mentioned on this thread, to each his own, however they have done so much on our behalf that I owe them my thanks for there efforts. Much of it is done quietly and behind the scenes and that's OK. They do represent high ideals and our sport needs those type of representatives, they also are a whole lot of fun. But what we are a part of is this forum, that also has high ideals and does such a great job raising money for St. Judes and supporting the members when needed. So if you don't support the others for one reason or another support the one you're with.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
I am a proud Life Member of New York Bowhunters, Inc., as well as part of its' leadership.  It is not an easy road to follow, wrought with sacrifice and ignorance.  While being against the introduction of superior implements into the archery seasons, much empasis is lost on the other programs, such Youth Camps, Annual Youth Hunt, Physically Challenged Commitee,  Annual Physically Challenged Hunt, and the Camo to Camo Program for wounded veterans and those serving overseas, NYB strives to promote, preserve, and protect the archery seasons in NYS.  
While manning booths at the Sportsmen Shows, those volunteering behind the counters hear every line in the book as to why bowhunters X cannot join.  I hunt private land, I cannot afford right now (while carrying several new fiching rods or other outdoor gear, you guys are doing a great job without me, I don't need another magazine, my wife would kill me if I joined something else, and I don't bowhunt (while wearing archery related clothing).
Good luck to all of those who try to better the sport by supporting these organizations.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
  But the unfortunate reality is that some organizations aren't looking out for the bowhunters of their state, only the pet peeve agendas of their leadership. At one time I was of the opinion that pretty much all bowhunters should join and support their state organizations. But that’s like saying everyone in town should eat at the local restaurant just because it’s the only one in the area…even if the food is full of roaches and rat poop.

Good organizations should be supported and helped to flourish; bad ones that don’t value their membership, berate or run off members with differing viewpoints, or whose biggest sales pitch is guilt should be left to die on the vine…and many of them have. I just don’t believe in supporting bad organizations simply because their name and my address share the same state. If the local diner puts hair in my breakfast, I won't feel the least bit guilty about not coming back for lunch.
Great post Jason - reflects my own and many others I know experience with our state group.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
This post is good for everyone here to think about. The organizations are getting good feedback for improvement and the individuals here need to think about supporting our traditional way. A lot here for us all to think about. I currently support Comptons and Michigan Longbows, by reading this post I have become aware I need to be a contributor to this great forum, by next weeks paycheck I will be.
Dan

Edit: heck I just contributed right now, no excuse waiting for next week's paycheck.
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
For years, I was on the board of the Wyoming Wildlife Federation, and was treasurer of that organization for a few years. After that, I was treasurer and later vice president of Bowhunters of Wyoming.  The 10% that do the work do eventually get burned out, so I found other pursuits. Since retiring, I have gotten into Comptons and renewed my PBS membership. Of the organizations out there right now, Comptons seems to fit me better than some of the others. I also contribute to several veterans' organizations, and am a long time member of the NRA. Over the years, I believe that I have done my part, but maybe some would disagree.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Anybody, including me can find certain things we don't like about PBS, Comptons, NRA, or even our own state organization but that is a pretty lame excuse.  Clubs will never be able to please every member with what they do. If a person is not joining because they dislike the whole agenda.....such as PETA, that is easy to understand, but what is hard to understand is not joining a club that has that persons back when it comes to their rights and interest.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
I belong to NYB as well. Many people enjoy the rewards we fought for and won ie using DMP' s in archery season,keeping the blackpowder guns out of archery season etc ... and are fighting for still ie lower hunting age,earlier opening day etc... There are a handful of people working very hard for the benefit of many.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
I'm a member of PBS, P&Y, Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, Pheasants Forever, and 2 local conservation groups in Florida.

I feel like I do my part but like everyone else could certainly do more.  

There's a couple more organizations I'm looking at but just haven't joined yet.

I've always wondered the same about the member numbers.

I look at it this way...for the cost of about a dinner at a restaurant I can support a conservation or hunting group by taking that $20-30 and sending it to them instead of something else that I don't really need.

Also, anyone can add an organization membership to their Christmas or birthday gift wish list.  The group gains a member and the person can feel good knowing their gift is helping an organization support one of their passions.

My sister loves animals/pets so last year I gave her a membership to a national pet-rescue/shelter organization (no, not an anti-hunting one).  
She received a subscription to their magazine and the satisfaction that the money was going to a good cause.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©