3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question about making flemish string  (Read 255 times)

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
Question about making flemish string
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
I built a string jig according to poorfolkbow website and made my first string for a 62" recurve.  I measured nock to nock along the back of the bow and came up with 61 1/2" I decided to make it 61" long because I knew the B50 would stretch quite a bit.  Anyhow after finishing the string I went to go put it on the bow and it was WAY too long, I mean like alot...I don't know what happened.
Quinn Stallion Classic 40# @ 29"
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question about making flemish string
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
It should be 3 inches shorter than that measurement over the back of the bow, try 59" for your string.
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
Is your jig measuring actual string length or bow length.  If the string you made actually measures 61" it is way too long because a 62" recurve should take a string that is about 58" or 59" long.  If you measured 61 1/2" nock to nock on your bow unstrung that would also not take into account the shorter distance nock to nock when you are stringing or bracing the bow at the proper brace height.  Hope this helps!

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
My jig is setup for bow length not string length.
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
If the jig is set up for bow length, and you put the peg at 61" but the string turned out way too long, then I'd say the jig may not be set up for bow length.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
Did you start your twists 7 1/2" from the ends of the string lays?  If you made a string for a 61" bow by the jig and it is way too long you may have to adjust where you start twisting the string lays.  In any case shoot for a finished string about 58" long and it should not be too long for a 62" recurve.

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Grey Taylor:
If the jig is set up for bow length, and you put the peg at 61" but the string turned out way too long, then I'd say the jig may not be set up for bow length.

Guy
This is what I am thinking...and/or like the guy said below your post...I started at 7 1/2" so maybe I need to adjust that a little.
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
62" recurve needs a 59" string.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Since the B-50 is going to stretch, if it was me, I'd go with a 58" string instead of a 59" string.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Fly, take the top loop apart, straighten out the bundles the full length and start at say 9".

Personally, for large loops like on a recurve, 7.5 seems a little short for top limb!

The jig is not universal when it comes to finished lengths. Keep notes, and keep consistent in your lengths.

We all twist a bit different! As your loops become tighter, and uniform with practice, you should experience shorter lengths, and less stretch in your strings. No matter whether dacron or hp materials.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
62" is not a set in stone measurement! Different bowyers measure the limbs at differnt points. Nock to nock, could be tip to tip!

Angle of risers, reflex, deflex, makes a world of difference in lengths. Could be 58, 57.5, 59.

What was the original string length? That would be a good start.

What works on a jig, may not on the bow! You will learn and experience this part of the fun!  :D

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Give me your address and I'll mail you a copy of a chapter on making flemish strings from a 1950s bowhunting book.  A lot of people are willing to help a new stringmaker, but I think this is the best written instructions ever.  Follow it to the letter and your first string will come out fine(maybe a little off in length, but a decent string.)  In order to use it verbatim, you will have to make the jig shown in the article.  But, if your current jig yields the correct length, these instructions should help.
Tom

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flyboy718:
...I measured nock to nock along the back of the bow....
Picked up on this thread because I'm also interested in learning how to make my own flemish string.  Anyway, I noticed you said you measured along the back of the bow.  I'm new and still learning, but I thought measurement was supposed to be across the belly of the bow.  Or is that only for longbows, and recurves are to be measured across the back of the bow?

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Here's a link where I got the info on measuring across the belly of the bow:

http://www.flemishbowstrings.com/

It's right around the middle of the page that also shows a pic of a recurve being measured with a cloth-type measuring tape.

Anyway, not trying to argue or anything, as I'm still pretty much a rookie.  Just trying to learn is all.

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Ok, I have making the string down with no problem.  My problem is the strings keep coming out way too long.  I tried making a 70" string for my self bow and it came out 17" too long!  I don't understand...from my loop to were I stop the twist on each end of the string is exactly 7".  How do I fix this?
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
ttt
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
I use the jig from poorbowfolks also- indeed some of my strings have seemed a little long but not 17"!!! I would recheck your jig maybe?  I can usually twist up to get me to the rite size but i dont think you can twist away 17 extra inches
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
I think I have solved my problem, I went back and looked at the diagram of how to position the nails on the string jig...looks like I have my 'bow length' nails 2" apart instead of 1" apart!  So, that accounts for at least 11" of the string being too long.
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©