3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy wood arrows  (Read 739 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Heavy wood arrows
« on: February 20, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
Who hunts with heavy woodies?What type wood are you using?Do you hunt from treestand or groundHunt with recurve or longbow.........Sorry got cabin fever.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
My lightest are some 640-grain firs I have...my heaviest are some 850-grain hickories. I love 'em all and shoot from both stands and blinds....
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
I love heavy wood shafts, i like to do an oil soak for days on end in a homemade dip tube! My last attempt i used some KK German mountain pine shafting 65/70 spine! I cut/tapered and gave a light sanding and a hand straightening before putting the entire dozen into the pvc dip tube! Check daily topping off oil soak! After a wk of soaking, i take 'em out and dry 'em for a wk! i then do a few hand rubbed coats of urethane! My 30" shafts went from 450gr before soak to 525gr after, fletching and with a 160gr point i have about a 675-680gr finished arrow wt! Thats goin to be my hunting arrow for a while as ive made 3doz of them!!!

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Oh yeah, i shoot these out of my #55 Bear Montana! Its a heavy arrow in that aspect, but the bow loves 'em, whisper quiet and zero shock! They hit like a truck!!!

Offline Thunderhorn25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
my longbow piulls 47# at 25" and I shoot 525 grain lodgepole pine

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
I liked ash for my heavy wood arrows.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
I generally hunt with 600-650 grain cedars that I get that way by soaking in Watco oil.  Also have some original Sweetland forgewoods I still use, but I'm running out of those.  I use this arrow weight for mid-50s bow weights.  I consider them mid-weight arrows.  A heavy arrow is 700-1000 grains, IMO.

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I like my 850 gr hickories out of my 65# NightHawk on the ground or in a stand!
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
I have used Laminated Birch...725 Gr out of a 51# bow whisper silent!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
I have surwoods at 625gr and some cedars at 680 ish.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
are you guys including broadhead weight on these or is it just the shaft itself?

Thanks,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
I am sure any wood shaft, short of a Sweetland Forgewood shaft, that weighs 600+grs is with broadhead Joe. I shoot Surewood Shafts that are douglas fir and they weigh about 600grs with heads. That's in 80#-85# shafts. Wood is wood...so you can get a wide range of weights with each batch of shafts. So, if you are really trying to get as heavy a shaft as you can you should talk with who you buy them from and tell them this is your intension. But over all every batch of Surewoods in the spine weights I have bought have given me an arrow with around 10+ gpp as a finished arrow. Good hunting weight.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
700+ Ash shafts 160grn point treestand & ground.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 06:39:00 AM »
Got some Ramins thi year from Greg Sweeny tipped w/160gr Ace totaling 750gr. Really like the way they shoot & sharpen.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
I have Alaskan hemlock forgewoods that easily get 850+ and they are 5/16

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
For 600-650 I use internal and or external footed poplar. For over 700gr I go with ash. For over 800gr I use hickory, maple, and a couple of exotics yellow heart, leopard wood. I turn my own shafts so I can use and experiment with a wide varity of woods.

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Like Orion, I love the discontinued Forgewoods and use those left sparingly. Have shot ash too with good, hard - hitting results from 70# LB from trees and on the ground.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Years ago I had Don Brown make me a couple dozen arrows out of Forgwoods by Sweetland. Some of the old timers may remember when Don was going to buy out Sweetland in Oregon and moved up there and started making and selling arrows from Sweetlands stock of shafts. He ended up selling off their inventory of shafts and then bailing out, leaving Sweetland high and dry.

Anyway, I killed a few deer with those heavy shafts. They were 5/16 spined for 100#, I don't remember what they weighed but they were heavy.   :eek:   I remember I shot a raghorn buck from a tree stand, the arrow had a narrow 2bld Hunters Head, the bow was a 90# Hill style bow by Brian Pridgon (remember him?) The arrow went through the buck like he was a cardboard silhouette and burried so deep in the ground that it must have killed a dozen night crawlers. Talk about overkill..        :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Years ago I had Don Brown make me a couple dozen arrows out of Forgwoods by Sweetland. Some of the old timers may remember when Don was going to buy out Sweetland in Oregon and moved up there and started making and selling arrows from Sweetlands stock of shafts. He ended up selling off their inventory of shafts and then bailing out, leaving Sweetland high and dry.

Anyway, I killed a few deer with those heavy shafts. They were 5/16 spined for 100#, I don't remember what they weighed but they were heavy.    :eek:    I remember I shot a raghorn buck from a tree stand, the arrow had a narrow 2bld Hunters Head, the bow was a 90# Hill style bow by Brian Pridgon (remember him?) The arrow went through the buck like he was a cardboard silhouette and burried so deep in the ground that it must have killed a dozen night crawlers. Talk about overkill..         :biglaugh:  
How were these Sweetland Forgewoods manufactured to give such a high density and weight?
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
 How were these Sweetland Forgewoods manufactured to give such a high density and weight?  
Sweetland had some kind of "press" that compressed a larger dowel into a smaller dowel making a small 5/16th shaft but retaining the weight of the larger shaft.....something like that.   :readit:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©