3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brace Height Tuning  (Read 371 times)

Offline MATT CHIPPENDALE

• Trad Bowhunter
Brace Height Tuning
« on: February 20, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
at the moment i have my bow strung up. It's 64" long with 60" string and the brace height is just over 6 inches. Was just wondering what a good Brace height to start with would be before i start playing around with it to find the "sweet spot". Should i start at 7" and work my way up? what brace height do most people have their's set around?
TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brace Height Tuning
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Every bow, arrow, and form combination is different, even a little for different shooters. I usually start between 7 and 8 and first go down an inch or so then past start then up an inch or so. I sometimes have to do this a couple times to find the right spot.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
it helps to know what kind of bow you have. bowyers have different recomendations for brace height parameters based on their individual bows. that being said, i would think 7 1/2" would be a safe starting point and tune from there.
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline Big Riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Im going 8 in. with my RER 62" BOW you could go up to 8 1/2"with yours
Frank

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
For the most part bows shoot the best at the lower range of the brace height range. If you let us know who made it or what type of longbow it is I'm sure someone could narrow this down for you.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I have two 66" Blacktail TD recurves. Sometimes I feel like experimenting with them. The recommended brace height for them is 7 3/4"-8". With my 30" draw length and since I'm shooting heavy stiff aluminum arrows with 165 grain point weights out of both of them, I found these bows like a longer power stroke.

The sweet spot for each of them is the same, but not what is recommended by the  bowyer. For my 42# bow, shooting a 32", Easton Camo Hunter 2117 arrow, the brace height (sweet spot) is 7 3/8" and for the 37# bow shooting a 32", Easton Camo Hunter 2114 arrow, the brace height (sweet spot) is 7 3/8" also.

Sometimes one has to think outside the box and not go with what is recommended. Do a little experimentation and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
I've found by starting with very low B.H., I definetly know I'm at one of the limits, just because it's LOUD. From that point, I begin to increase B.H. until things quiet down. If I start out too high with B.H. I don't have that same degree of "auditory definition"   :D
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Most LBs have a low BH, and recurves a little higher.

Offline MATT CHIPPENDALE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »
I shoot a Fox High Sierra TD recurve 64" 59 @ 30'.

Is there a knack to twisting the string and restringing the bow when brace height tuning? As i am yet to try increasing the brace height on my bow. From memory i think i was told to turn the lower part of the string counter clockwise to increase brace? is this right?
Matt
TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN

Offline MATT CHIPPENDALE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 02:49:00 AM »
I'm going to experiment shooting carbon heritage 350's with a 145 grain point and 3 x 5 inch right helical feathers
TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
Depends on how the string was twisted, Matt. Just look at the windings to answer your question on direction.

I like to start at max brace height with a slightly stiff arrow, then shrink the brace height as I fine tune. I would rather gain speed than lose it while fine tuning (slightly soft arrow).

Min brace height = max speed and easiest initial pull/less forgiving.

Max brace height = Less speed, harder initial pull/more forgiving.

Sweet spot is in there somewhere. Always check nock height.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
the bow will tell you when ya get there.  I just started playing with BH and don't know how I tuned with out it.  When you get in the right spot the bow will get whisper quiet, smooth and forgiving.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline MATT CHIPPENDALE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
thanks fellas
How do i find the manufacturers reccomended brace height?
TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Just give them a call, Or let us know what bow your using, someone would have had a bow like that at some time.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Matt,

You adjust brace height be lengthening or shortening the string.  If you twist the string and make it shorter, in effect, when you restring the bow, you pull the two limbs closer and move the string further out from the bow, thus increasing the brace height.  Lengthening the string by untwisting will shorten the brace height.

The shorter the brace height, the longer your arrow is in contact with the string during release.  This results in a longer "power stroke" and more speed.  The increase in speed is likely not that great, maybe a few feet per second, though I have never actually measured this.

You can get a pretty good idea of what brace height your set-up likes fairly quickly by setting your brace height at about 7.5 inches.  Shoot several arrows, making a mental note of noise and arrow flight.  Then reset your brace height to about 7.75 inches.  Shoot several arrows.  Is it quieter and do your arrows fly any better?  Set your brace height to 8 inches.  Shoot several arrows.  How does your bow sound, and how are your arrows flying?  You are looking for the best arrow flight with the least amount of noise.

Noise and arrow flight will ultimately decide the best brace height for your set-up.

Once you find out roughly what range of brace height seems to work best, you can fine tune your set-up by making 1/8-inch changes in brace height over a smaller range.  Make sure that you are comfortable you have good shooting form, because your ideal brace height may be something of a moving target until you have good form.
My longbows tend like about a 7-inch brace height.  I have several recurves.  They tend to shoot best at brace heights ranging from just under 8 inches to about 8.5 inches.

Good luck!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline MATT CHIPPENDALE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
Thanks Bowslinger, I am staarting to get the hang of it as i take in more and more knowledge. I have watched the masters of the barebow series and picked up alot from that.

Now just to make sure i'm on the same page as every body else! Brace height is measured from the deepest point in the grip back to the string? I see everyone displaying their brace heights, are people measuring using this method? ( i read this on 3rivers.com)
TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Yes, you have that right, that is how you measure. When I twist the string, I hold the middle from also twisting and twist each side an equal # of turns.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Old York:
I've found by starting with very low B.H., I definetly know I'm at one of the limits, just because it's LOUD. From that point, I begin to increase B.H. until things quiet down. If I start out too high with B.H. I don't have that same degree of "auditory definition"    :D  
That's my system.  The lowest brace height gives you the most power & smoothest draw, but can cost you arrow flight if the nock holds on until the fletch reaches the rest and will be loud.  I start low and work tighter until it is suitably quiet.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©