3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two way Radios for hunting ?  (Read 770 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Two way Radios for hunting ?
« on: February 20, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
What two way radios do you guys who go on big hunts with other trad hunters use. I am looking to get a pair but would like to get some opinions on them. Communication with others if going in separate directions afield would be an asset in my mind. So if you have experience with any brand or model please let me know. Thanks Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two way Radios for hunting ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Unless the laws have changed, they were illegal
to use here in KS. I would check the state laws where your going to be using them.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Dale, Are you serious they are illegal in your state? I'm talken the ones in Cab/Bps catalogs.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
From my experience of trying to use a set from Midland several years ago in the mountains they did not work well at all. They were suppose to have a 3 mile range and it was more like a 1/2 mile if that.

Also the last time I went on an elk hunt my Garmin GPS has the weather channels which worked good. The walkie talkie part had very little range though.
PBS  Member

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Dale, Are you serious they are illegal in your state? I'm talken the ones in Cab/Bps catalogs.
They were unless the laws have changed, i asked a game warden once why it was illegal he told me because people use them to stalk deer to one another communicating with each other about deer comming their way, Stupid.
Any 2 way communication device except cell phone,
also lasers are illegal anything that throws out a light or laser  pointing to any game animal is illegal.
Dale

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
WOW!, Another vital resource abused for ones who have no hunting skills
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Yep it's still illegal.Just checked the rules and regs. to the KDWP.
Dale

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Of course, you shouldn’t carry them if they are illegal.  It is also unethical and violates fair chase rules to use them in a stalk or to any other hunting advantage.   But, I do believe there are situations where it is ok and maybe even advisable to carry a radio in your pack.     Checking in from spike camp or an unexpected bivuac, at a predetermined time……that doesn’t violate any ethical principle that I have.   Might actually prevent a death from exposure, or medical emergency.    
I see it like a few other things: we like to say “guns don’t kill people, people kill people!”    Well, radios, in and of themselves, don’t violate laws or ethical codes of conduct - it depends on how the carrier uses them.  
That said, it is true that they often don’t work as well as claimed- even driving down the highway , but especially in rough country.    I have to have a pretty good reason to justify additional weight in my pack and a radio isn’t usually high on the list.
Tom

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
This is a state by state issue and you need to be aware of the laws whenever you travel.  For those who like to push the limit, wardens often monitor the radios and record same.  

We carry them here in AK, but are very careful to not use them to assist in the hunt.  Mostly to call for a pickup when drifting or crossing the river we hunt.

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
As far as using radios in Ks: to my knowledge, it is illegal to use radios in the persuit of game (except coyotes) by locating or giving the location of animals, but you can carry and use them for safety purposes in case of injury or getting lost, etc.

WoodsyDave

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
I have a set of Midland's   (correction - Motorolas) and they work really well, but it's all about the terrain.  Line of sight and all that.

As for being ethical... I use them the same way I use text messaging.  "See anything?", "I'm heading out"... that type of thing.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Unless you're only 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from who you want to talk to don't even bother with GMRS type radios. They're ok for close but any distance is weak at best. The Motorolas tend to work best of all the ones we've tried. We now use marine radios on stand checking in each hour or so and get a good mile or so in thick foliage.

Of course most places now have enough cell reception so you can text message each other.
Romans 8:28

Offline swifty99

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I use TriSquare® TSX300-2VP Deluxe 2-Way eXRS® digital radios with ear piece and boom mike that I got at Radio Shack. They have worked fine for us.

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by LKH:
This is a state by state issue and you need to be aware of the laws whenever you travel.  For those who like to push the limit, wardens often monitor the radios and record same.  

We carry them here in AK, but are very careful to not use them to assist in the hunt.  Mostly to call for a pickup when drifting or crossing the river we hunt.
Yep well put
Dale

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
I get cell phone coverage where I hunt. However, one must take not to use the phone or walkie to alert another of deer headed their way. They can't be used to help take a deer in my state.

My cell is for emergency and to call for my son and the UTV when the broadhead has done its job. Or he calls me.

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
The indians used smoke signals!!!!!!!!
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
They are illeagl in wyoming if used to assist in the hunt as well. So are cell phone or any comunication devices.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Yep illegal in MT as well.  You can have them on you, just can't use them to pursue animals.  
Luminocks,trailcams, and any battery operated sites are also off limits.  I applaud our fwp guys for trying to keep archery season primitive.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
I use them when I take my grandson hunting. I do not use them to try and get an unfair advantage of game. Only for safety in case he has a problem.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
I got the illegal part. But do any of you use them for safety and general non game chasing use. And what experience have you had with reception and or any other + or - results.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©