3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two way Radios for hunting ?  (Read 771 times)

Offline Longbowman55

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two way Radios for hunting ?
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
I just can't fit in any of the electronic gadgets in my head when it comes to my hunting.  Walkie talkies, cell phones, UTV's just don't compute for me when I look at my longbow and back quiver.
Hunter by my choice...Pastor by Gods.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
I have on occasion carried them with the intent of letting a partner know if I am coming in for lunch or staying out, etc.  If we do carry them we usually have a plan to check in with each other at a predetermined time.  Seems like most of the time I forget to turn the thing on, so have ended up carrying them less and less.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Most of the time I hunt alone. I have a cell phone in case of emergency but alot of the area I hunt I cannot get any coverage. I only started carrying it the last couple of years. I know of people trying to use walkie talkies while rifle hunting, but they have had a lot of trouble because of terrain and tree cover. Who wants all that electronic crap with you when hunting anyway? I think it takes away from the hunt. Gary

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
Just my  thoughts. deleted.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
I think this has gotten away from what I intended it to be. I wanted to know if multiple guys out of a base camp use them to communicate with said base camp or others for emergency reasons if they are worth it or not.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Maybe it has, but why this great need to be electroincally tethered? If one is so worried about safety, or to know what one's buddies are doing back in camp or elsewhere, perhaps better to stay home on the couch and text them from there. I don't mean any disrespect, but it seems that folks are afraid to go out in the woods by themselves anymore.    :dunno:

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Orion, I have a 10yo who will be hunting with me this year and would like for him to explore by himself a little.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Tim, sorry we digressed.  I have tried Motorola and Midlands and find them about equal.  We have used them over the years for fly in fishing trips in Canada and Alaska.  My Midland helped me locate a buddy that took a wrong turn in Alaska and got stranded in a side channel.  He was two miles away in flat country.  It was nice to find out they were generally OK but would be very late to camp.   I would buy the best ones you can afford.   Also, as noted by some above they are very limited in the mountains.  It is almost a line of site rule.  Any significant topography inbetween users and you will not get a connection.  Hope that helps.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Lpc: I understand wanting to remain in contact with your son.  My response seems a bit harsh.  Aimed not at you, but at the increasing electronic gadgetry I'm seeing in the woods.  As G.Fred Asbel pointed out in a recent article, there's always at least one valid reason for using any piece of equipment, but  I think we could do with a lot less.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Msybe some of this won't apply to where you live or hunt, but some will.
Like others said the FRS radios are only good for short open ranges. I have some but use them more in town than in the woods.
Where I live you are usually near the water, and most boats carry a VHF radio. I have a handheld VHF radio that is 5 watt, a 25 watt VHF on the boat, and a 25 watt base station at my house.
VHF's are line of sight, but the Coast Guard has a repeater system of remote antennae, and I can sometimes get them if I can't talk to anyone else. I have had them call someone on the phone to tell that I am OK but delayed, and then get back to me on the radio to let me know the message was relayed, which saved everyone a lot of stress.  
My bigger hammer for an emergency is a handheld EPIRB (emergency position indicating radio beacon) that transmits to satellites and gives a gps fix on me, as well as a homing freq for the aircraft to come right to me. It also identifies me by registration so they know who they are looking for, a description of my boats, and have my address and contact info on file. It is not for casual use however, it is for pulling the plug. I do try to carry this if I am alone and in a remote spot; thankfully I have never had to use it.
Alternative to VHF, I have been with people who had handhelds that would use aircraft freqs, which let them hail a passing plane. Also some have satellite phones; they are spendy but work almost everywhere. These gadgets are the next step up in puchase cost/user fees.
If you do carry radios and want to check in, it is an idea to set up a call schedule, so you don't have to keep them on all the time and run down the battery, not to mention the noise problem if you are hunting. It is good to have more than one call time in case you are in a valley/ forget/ busy etc at the first time. Say each hour after if you miss the first time. Down side of call scheds is they start to worry when maybe you just have a dead battery or your watch is haywire. Good to discuss beforehand how you want them to react to no contact.
Sometimes when the battery is low, you can't talk but can still make a click of static each time you key the mike. I have arranged before that one click means yes, two means no, and answered questions that I could hear but not verbally reply.
Hope that is useful to you.

Offline Robert Cunfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
lpcjon2 my buddies and I use them in PA to tell each other our plans to move or head home. Once I used mine to call my buddies for help when my dad broke his ankle and needed help out of the woods. A good thing....Bobby

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Think mine are 10 mile Motorolas. If they're 10 mile radios it must mean 10 wide open miles. In tall woods you;re lucky to get 1 mile. They beep & make noise when they shouldn't. Good for emergency I guess but my experience wouldn't depend on them. Maybe a cell phone is much better.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
I always use them when we hunt.most of the time its only to see if my partners have something down or i do and need a hand.I have two sets.Motorola and Midland, both are very good.You can set the channel as needed.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 01:10:00 AM »
I have Motorolas, that also monitor National Weather Service broadcasts.  They are very useful if someone is coming out late, or has a deer down. Uneven country really affects reception.  Sometimes our hunting party can talk up to 3 or 4 miles away, but sometimes they don't reach a mile.  They do offer a measure of safety in case of an emergency.

If I remember corrrectly, the set I bought also has a very loud emergency signal, which may be useful for your son.  Even if you can't get radio contact, he might still be able to get your attention with the emergency signal.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 04:25:00 AM »
We use them around here while gun hunting, I don't want to talk to anyone while I'm bowhunting. I just have a set of Motorola's. They are iffy in thick cover or a hilly situation but they don't weigh much so they are worth carrying.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
Radios are a real pain for me when I am trying to hunt. I used them for a few years but finally got rid of them. Often other hunters would get on the frequency, or the guys I was hunting with with talk a lot. I like the silence. I did carry them for a while but never turned them on, just had them for emergencies.
John

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
OK
I work with radios alot and have a HAM radio liscence..  :scared:  
Get good ones and you wont be sorry.. Get the GMRS ones with at least 20 plus channels..they are higher powered..
I would rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them...
I like useing them when I hunt close to the house so the wife can contact me if she NEEDS to..  :rolleyes:  
I like it when hunting with buddies because we can wisper sweet nothings and BS to each other when bored waiting around  "[dntthnk]"  
When I hunt by myself I still have one for emergencys..
Ken
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
Thanks guys I will check into the Motorola. I am a big safety nut. When I hunt I normally dont take anything but my cell, and that is normally off. but with the boy starting out I want him to have his own experiences (but monitored )He is very familiar with the hunting lands around our way bit I want to start going to other areas. He will be learning the land navigation and the compass in the next few months.Thanks for all the reply's.Tim
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Hey buddy
You know what.. I got more radios than I need
Send me your address and Ill mail you two..
No charge..
Glad to do it.
Ken
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Kenneth, I sent you a PM/email. Thank you
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©