3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What trail camera to buy?  (Read 565 times)

Offline Old man of the swamp

• Trad Bowhunter
What trail camera to buy?
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Took 61 years but just bought a small place surrounded by a National Forest. Would like to put cameras out to see what I have on it. Never had a camera before so how about some advice.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What trail camera to buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
We've had about 6 different brands where we hunt.  Pretty hard to figure out which one to buy and we made mistakes.  Now, we have 9 Scout Guards.  Size wise they're very small.  Battery life is incredable, like maybe a year.  We replace them each season and they're still good.  Trigger time is OK especially for a camera under 200.  We do have one of the small Bushnells and the jury is still out.  The SG may take better video and pics.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
I have tried quite a few and I feel that Bushnell trophy cam is the best.  It takes videos as well as stills, it is super easy to set-up, the battery life is amazing (as long as you use lithium), and Bushnell customer service is excellent.
Stealthcam also makes a great camera but I still stand behind Bushnell as the best 1.
Try and avoid any camera tha uses batteries other than AA.  The ones that use C's or D cell batteries don't seem to last more than a couple of weeks.  TRW

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Been using two, DLC coverts for two seasons and have been satisfied. Easy to set up and the batteries last all season.

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
I have a Moultrie I65 that works great. Gonna try the DLC covert this year. Have seen some nice pics taken with them on here. My cousin has a couple Cuddebacks that do a good job. Saw that they totally revamped their cameras for this year.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
I like my WILDGAME INNOVATIONS iR4 the trigger speed is kinda slow but the pics are top notch.
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
I have two of the Bushnells,8MP and they are my favorites.I also have the Scoutguard 550 and it is a great camera but I like the Bushnells better.
1.You don't have the extra "remote" to program the Bushnell.You do it in camera.
2.The Bushnell has a gasket sealing the case.The Scoutguard is not sealed.
3.Both have the same great battery life and trigger speed.
4.The Bushnell is the same price.
5.The Bushnell is as compact and is 8MP.

Offline brian brooks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
I second the Bushnell Trophy Cam,Although I have heard they had problems with 2010 model.Maybe they got the bugs worked out of them.Hope so.I really like my 09 models
brian brooks

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
I had trouble with everything I bought, including Bushnells, until I got a Scoutguard. Batteries last forever and it works very well. It's also easy to hide, making thievery more difficult. Hiding a game camera is VERY important, if you want it to be there when you go back!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
I like the Wildgame Innovations X6C. Good quality pics and small in size.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
for good prices check out Nachez.com
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
I have had good luck with the little bushnell trophy cams. I see you are close to me. If you are near the Homochitto national forest, and likely most others, theft is a major problem. Hiding your camera well and getting an infrared flash is important. Security boxes have not worked for me as the thieves destroyed the cameras in the box.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Man those DLC Covert cameras take NICE pics. Way better than my current fairly expensive Moultrie.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Jerry Ragle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
ive had 2 or 3 of the cheaper ones they seamed to always give me problems then i went an bought a covert camera should have done it sooner

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Love my Uway NT50B with black flash.  When I used white or IR flash cams, I'd get one or two pics of a nice buck and then not seem him again for months.  With the black flash, I get the same big bucks week after week.  I'm convinced they do not see the black flash at all, and that the regular IR flash and white flash makes them avoid the cameras.  
Also on the white flash cams, they would usually only stick around over corn for about 3-5 mins, but they stay about 30-45 min with the black flash so I get lots more pics from different angles.  I get about 3 months from 4 C batteries with the Uway in picture mode.  I've never bothered with the video mode.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Toppredator that is a false statement, We have been running 9 Moultrie camera's for many years and they all take D cell batteries and the will run for many months on one set of batt and many thousands of pictures.

Half of them we paid 99$ for and the other half on sale for 69$. My pictures on the trail cam threads for many years here show the great picks they take too.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
I love my Bushnells.

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
So far I have had good luck with a Bushnell Trophy Cam. I would stay away from Stealthcam. I have had nothing but trouble from them.  You might want to check out chasingame.com they have a lot of good info on trail cameras.

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
Bushnell trophy cams work the best for me and small easy to cary and set up, and easy on batts. Under 150 now at wallywrld.!
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©