3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finished Selfbow for Bear Hunt + Surprise  (Read 614 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Finished Selfbow for Bear Hunt + Surprise
« on: June 12, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
I finished up my Osage selfbow last week for the Quebec Quest Traditional Bear Hunt.  Came in as a shooter 63" 51#@27.  That was going to be my bear bow with my forged trade points...But problem!!

Yesterday, I transferred a truck load of returned dog/cat food that I'd been saving for baiting to Tom Phillips.  He brought me my newly re-finished Bowdoc Drake Hunterflight.  What a beauty it is...plus Bowdoc will be in attendance too!  What to do for the Barrzzz   :goldtooth:  Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finished Selfbow for Bear Hunt + Surprise
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
You've got yourself a delemia there Doc.  But to me, I think osage looks real pretty when its laid up against a nice piece of jet black fur in pictures!  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
Is that a shelf I see?   :banghead:  

LOL just kidding Doc..pretty selfbow. That's the epitome of hunting..at least in my eye. Get a big blackie real close and hammer im! Agree with Whip!

besides you can't shoot a trade point out of a glass bow. It ain't right!   :mad:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
Very nice Doc.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
Nice job Jeff, I don't know which one I'd pick, but I'm partial to osage too.....

David

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 08:28:00 AM »
Take both bows, and plan on using the osage. But, is that a groove for the string across the back of the osage?????????? Not the safest situation if it is. That's why I'd take both bows.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
Take em both and shoot two barz Doc! Headin to the Compton in the morning. You guys have a great hunt and stay safe. Keep an eye on that Tom guy! If he gets a hikin he may find himself in Labrador!! Maybe you could put one of those GPS chips behing his ear for ya go. Good luck!
hunt it

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
Yer a brave man Doc...I have a hard enough time hitting what I want with a modern glass bow! The countdown has begun   :bigsmyl:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by JC:
...I have a hard enough time hitting what I want with a modern glass bow!
Yea right...that's not what I've heard JC.    ;)

Dang you're right Jim, that one got past me. I'd take the glass bow for a back-up and keep an eye on that string grooves on the osage. Osage is tough though, it can probably take it.There is no bending going on there.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
I would cut the back of your osage bow flat to the depth you have filed the nock across the back and glue on an overlay. The nock is an accident waiting to happen in it's current state.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
Ok, please 'splain to me why the nock is a problem.  Is it because it's so deep?  I don't see how that nock is any different than a peg nock.  Just looking to learn.  :confused:

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
You build a purty bow Doc!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Thanks guys for spotting that.  I'm not sure why I cut it that way...probably thinking about a couple of glass bows that I just reduced weight on.  I have a couple of other Osage ones that I've made plus some from JD. I do prefer using the selfbow with my trade points this year.  I'll take another one and fix it it like Eric mentioned after the hunt.  I'm better with steel so probably should just stay with one thing  :banghead:  Doc

Mickey,
I did cut a little arrow rest on the new one...guess I just started cutting too much!

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
Actually Talondale we don't cut thru the back when making a pin nock either. The problem is a back needs to have continuous fibers from 1 end to the other. Now this may never be a problem on this bow and it could be a huge problem on another bow.  I have seen bows that were 40 years old and had nocks cut like that.My brother did that once by accident and that bow is 10 years old and still shooting. Ya never know and ya takes your chances.

Jeff I was just messing with you on the shelf. Shelves work just fine on selfbows (I didn't really say that did I? LOL) as long as they aren't cut too deep on a handle thats narrow back to belly and yours certainly isn't that deep. Plenty of meat left in that handle.I have seen guys cut them to centerline though and that makes me cringe a bit.Heck by the time you get any kind of strike plate and shelf pad on there it's gonna dissapear anyway ha ha.

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »
take both............and use the YELLOW one  :bigsmyl:    :archer:

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Nice work Doc.  Steel, Rock and Wood. You are a true craftsman.  Take the yellow one.

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Both bows are pretty cool..You made the right decision at the last hunt wearing the red sox cap id say that is the important decision anyway Id say ya can kill the bear with either bow as long as you are doing it in style( and supporting the right team)..LOL

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
Take both, kill a bear with the yellow one.
Mel Riley

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 01:19:00 AM »
Doc,
With your experience building knives you should be able to put on a set of tip overlays in less then an hour.  Put on a set of overlays and take the yellar bow.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 04:37:00 AM »
Nice bow.

Massy's quote underneath says it all      :bigsmyl:
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©