3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finish for osage self bow  (Read 669 times)

Offline Danel

• Trad Bowhunter
Finish for osage self bow
« on: June 12, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »
I'm going to be putting a finish on a one piece osage bow.  Leaning towards using Tunge oil or tru oil.  Any suggestions?

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finish for osage self bow
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
Tru Oil works much better than Tung Oil in my opinion.  It dries fast and is easy to apply.

Jason

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
I'd go with the Tru-Oil. I use it on all my bows. On a yew bow I just completed I used 2 coats of Formsby's Tung oil finish first then 3 coats of Tru Oil over that. I wanted the grain of the yew to really jump out(which it did with the tung oil) before I added the Tru-oil.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
If you don't mind taking a lot of time and doing a lot of coats, a hand rubbed tung oil finish is a thing of beauty. Figure a dozen coats and 8-9 hours dry time per coat.

Tru oil gives a nice hard durable finish in 1/2 the coats and dry times of 20-30 minutes per coat.

Lightly steel wool between coats.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
For a bow that traditional, any oil beats any poly-type finish, but it will go orange sooner than under a spray-on, if that matters to you. Dave

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Another vote for Tru oil. Love the way it goes on and looks. You can dull the gloss a bit simply by rubbing it with fine steel wool. Or leave it glossy to wow people at the 3-d range...Terry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
I love the way Tru Oil fills in the grain. What I don't like about it is waterproofing  for  a pouring rain is suspect. The grain raises after a soaking rain. If it weren't for multiple coats of paste wax there would be no waterproofing even after multiple coats of the stuff. At least not for me. May be I'm doing something wrong.  :)  Jawge

Offline dinorocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
As suggested by a friend, I used Formby's Traditional Tung Oil Finish (low gloss) on my first (and only...so far...!) Osage orange self bow.  I'm VERY happy with the way it turned out!

After I "completed" fine sanding, I used a damp cloth to wipe the bow down...this made some of the wood grains raise.  I then hit the bow with another sanding/steel wooling.

Before I applied the Tung oil, I buffed the bow with a paper towel...this brought out my imperfections from sanding.  I re-sanded/steel wooled these areas before using the Tung oil.

Again, I was VERY happy with the results!

Hope my experience helps!

Dino
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow."  GD

Offline Slim Buttes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
I used tung oil on the first couple bows I built, had some on hand. I used spray on poly on a couple bows. On the last couple I used a "massey finish," read about it on this site and thought I'd give it a try. I am currently putting the final touches on a bow I built in the Idaho wilderness that is going to get Tru oil. My point is if you build one bow I know you are going to build more so don't worry, you will be trying to "master" the bow building many, many, many, . . . times.

I've heard Tru oil is easy, might be a good place to start.

Offline Danel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  The toughest part of putting a finish on this bow is going to be not shooting it for awhile.  I'm impressed at how good the bow shoots right off my hand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©