3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bunny Hunt for the St. Judes Kids!!! $2800 raised!!!  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Bunny Hunt for the St. Judes Kids!!! $2800 raised!!!
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Well as a lot of you know I decided last year to not hold the annual Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt for 2011 and 2012 due to how large it had become and how hard it was on my house and on my wife. Than came 2011 and Cindy and I felt we still had to do something for the kids of St. Judes. We decided to throw together a quick bunny hunt and raise money like always, just not on such a huge scale. First I want to apologise that I could not invite everyone but it was last minute and I invited people close by and who I could get in touch with quickly!! As always I was overwhelmed with the support!! We had 17 adult hunters and 6 kids. A greater group ya could not ask for!! We raised a total of $2800 dollars, yes $2800!! There should be some stories and yes we killed 3 bunnies with over 100 shots taken over the 2 day weekend!! I want to Thank each and everyone who came and tell you all that Cindy and I love all you guys!! I have a pretty serious health issue right now and this hunt with its comraderie is just the medicine I needed! Thanks again to everyone and lets see some pics and hear a story or two!! I know I have several!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bunny Hunt for the St. Judes Kids!!! $2800 raised!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
By the way don't forget 2013 and the Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt when everyone is invited!!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Shawn, you and Cindy rock!
I have been blessed to see how much work goes into putting on this hunt, and even with reduced numbers it is still quite a trick. Congrats on the success, and best of luck, and prayers for your recovery.

Killdeer   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Shawn and Cindy,

Thank you for having me. It was good medicine to get out on that windy day and see so many friends and acquaintances.  I had the pleasure of seeing 2 of the 3 bunnies get shot. I had 6 close misses my self. ( I would have had more if I wasn't caught in pickers so often) And I saw Mikey roll one over by tripping it up on a full out run.

I personally kicked up over 11 rabbits for others and have the scars to prove it.  Unfortunately 3 of them went the wrong way.

Curt has a tendency to make rabbits run straight at people as if they are going to leave you flat on your back and leave bunny prints across your face   :readit:  (sorry I didn't shoot at your leg bud, I think you wouldn't have cared for that too much.   ;)   ). Also, I dont know how you see rabbits through those brush piles like you did but that was pretty darn cool.  

Hope there are some pics up soon... I was still smiling when I woke up on Sunday morning albeit my eyes burned and my body ached but it felt good.   :bigsmyl:    :archer:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
I'm proud to have been just a (small) part of this hunt! So many times when sinking up to my eye balls in a snow drift I'd think, "What Am I Doing Here?"... Then someone would yell "Bunny!" and  :archer2:  like magic be on my feet again, ready for action. And there was plenty of that...

Thank you Shawn & Cindy for having me again. God Bless you both. The good you do for the St. Jude Kids is outstanding!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Thank you Shawn & Cindy..For getting all of us back together for the bunny huny and the kids..I had a great time like always. Lots of laughs and misses..Next time I'll try not to smell. The dogs didn't seem to like me. They did get over it though..I can look back on saturdays hunt and smile..Thats what it's all about..Thank you again..God Bless..It was really nice to see you get the hand drawn picture.That was cool..It couldn't have gone to a better person..Hats off to you and Cindy..Hope to see you soon..

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
Thanks Shawn and Cindy for having us up again.Your hospitality is overwhelming.Brian and I had a great time and managed to get 6 shots between the two of us.I got two shots off and missed both.Brian shot four times and ended up with a furry judo but no rabbit.It was very nice

to see everyone and enjoy a day in the field with like minded individuals.The weather started   out great but ended up turning quite cold and windy.It was a pleasure to get warm and have some much needed food.We even won some awsome prizes.Me a nice basket quiver and Brian a weekend hunt in Westchester with Greg.Very generous!Good luck Shawn.I wish you well.
Glen

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Thankyou, any stories would be great!! I saw 19 rabbits on Saturday alone and managed 8shots over the two days!! I got an assist with Damon that I will tell about later!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
OOOOOOOHHHHHHH YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good times. My nephew is still talking about it! Thanks to everyone who helped him out this weekend.

Stories....where to begin? I will have to organize my thoughts.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
Way to go guys!!!!  :clapper:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 06:02:00 AM »
Awesome Shawn, I have been wondering how your doing. Did you have your surgery? God Bless you.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 06:09:00 AM »
It was an awesome weekend!  Shawn and Cindy were great as always...two amazing people!

I have some pix and stories to share, but it won't be till later today...

Shawn and Cindy, thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking Cade and into your home again and treating us like part of the family.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Hey Jake, that Treadway worked again.  ;)
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Jamie, I dont think you can blame that shot on the bow  :readit:  I think your arrow was practically touching it when you were at full draw  :laughing:  

Anyone that doesnt know Jamie, this man is a hunter and survivor through and through.

He was able to pick out a rabbit after a group of hunters had already stomped passed it. I'll leave the rest for Jamie to tell.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Please get some stories going. I'm sorry to have missed the event. I was able to get up and say Hi on Friday evening, but had an all day Church training event on Sat.

Shawn you were looking pretty good my friend and Cindy is her beautiful self as always. But I have to say, I was most pleased to see our good friend BigEd! As many of you know BigEd had a horrible accident at work that nearly took his shooting fingers. I'm happy to say, he is a miracle in the making. While his fingers are still in need of some serious recovery, I would bet my last nickel that he'll be shooting again before the summer ends. Prayers work fellas!

Tyler wanted to come up very badly and even invited a good friend. His buddy is a beginning archer and he was afraid he'd make a fool of himself and you guys would make fun of him. We told that you guys would be the best teachers he could get and that you'd probably have fun WITH him. Couldn't convince him, so he and Tyler went out rabbit hunting locally.

Thanks again Shawn and Cindy for all you do!

Curt as expected the deer mount is a work of art!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
That Jamie...always putting down his own shooting skills, but it's been some time since I can recall him not claiming a rabbit at one of these hunts. Seriously, that calm & cool shot on a bunny that plenty of people passed by was a sight to see...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
where abouts in NY do you have this hunt?
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
The hunt is held 10 minutes south of Albany in the best rabbitat there is!! On the first push thru the Island of trees I was next to Charlie and in 30 yards he put out 3 bunnies, one almost runnin me over!! We got some shootin in there but nothin like the Rabbit Valley!! Damon(Nomad88) took six shots in a matter of 10 minutes and managed to hit one pretty good! The rabbit came back thru the pushers and was shot at a few times and went into a pile. After guys surrounded it and Chris(Bowspirit) gettin a shot and just missing, I snuck up on the pile and saw the bunny ready to burst out. I managed to get an arrow into him before he could break free again, nice double team on a big bunny!! Also on the old road push, I had a lil' more excitement and will tell ya about it in a lil' while!! OOOOHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  very cool!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Man,what a good time!Saturday afternoon went by too fast.Shawn,I couldn't quite see you but heard your reaction when you got that bunny and all I could say at the time was OOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©