3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Archers Oasis  (Read 395 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
The Archers Oasis
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Im pretty sure most of us who like to tinker and build our own arrows etc have some sort of workshop in which we hide away to do our work.

Over the years i've worked out of anything from a small cramped unheated shed, to a pole barn woodshop. The past few years, its been a small room in the basement, cramped and cluttered, but functional.

I decided this winter to completely overhaul my work area. I can reorganize my archery gear, tools, and create a much more comfortable space to build arrows,hang some of my trophies I've collected over the years, and pics from some more memorable trips.

Phase 1 is nearly complete, and soon I will have a new rack for hanging my bows, as well as storage area for some of my hunting gear. It also includes a lane from the doorway to the other end of the basement for shooting my longbows.

I thought I'd share a couple pics, and also ask others to post pics of their shop areas.

This is the old workbench area.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Archers Oasis
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
You did a great job looks realy nice.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Nice!

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Wow. Very Nice
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
I'm envious. Can I come over and use it?
      Larry

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
oasis?!!  looks like shangra-la to me!! what a sweet set-up.    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline caleb0100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
The bottom pic is the only one I can relate to. Great job!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Nice, always good to take a picture before it starts being used.  It is usually hard to see the top of my workbench.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Very Nice....I want one!
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Its been a great project so far. Today I put all the shelving in the cabinets, and then did a big site cleanup and began the process of moving all my stuff from the old setup into the new.

I still have a couple doors to sand, and get the first coat of finish on a few parts, then start over with the 2nd coat. Once that is done I can re-hang the doors.

As for the rest of the project, I still have 3 walls to frame and put the T&G pine on. Once thats done, then 3 coats of linseed oil on all the pine walls.

My vision it for it to be a workshop with a cabin look to it, cozy yet functional. Theres something quite relaxing about the pine finish on the walls, makes it kind of homey. A few deer racks and other mounts on the walls, and few pics of some elk should do the trick.

Just a shame I can't put a campfire ring in the middle of the room.

Great place to build arrows and shoot bows, reload handgun ammo, and other assorted projects and odd jobs. Perhaps down the road I might try my hand at building a bow.

I inherited my love of woodworking from my Dad. I dont do a lot of it, but now I finally have the time to put together a place where I can.
When Dad passed, he left all his woodworking tools to me, his workbench, routers etc. He loved to putz in his workshop too, and in building this one, I uses as many of his tools as I could. Pretty sure he's been lookin over my shoulder, as along the way, everything has fit together perfectly, with minimal screw-ups. I think he'd like it.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I Recognize the Old Set-Up!! p!! Looks Real Familiar!!   :rolleyes:    hahaha  "The Man Room" and the Lord Help ANYONE  that Moves Anything!!   :eek:    I know exactly where everything "should" be (Or The Vicinity anyway), so dont mess with  My World!!  hahaha    :thumbsup:      :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline whitetail_downer100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Well I am officially jealous.  Hope that counts for something.  Just try not to spill the glue...
-Captain Logan A. Giger-
USMC
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take... but sometimes thats ok"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Nice.......I could have that a mess in no time....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
Funny you mentioned spilling glue WT, I kicked around a couple of options for the workbench surface for that very reason. I first thought of just using plywood, but after looking at my current bench, nixed that.

Then I was thinking just using the standard formica laminate, but got thinking if I spilled solvents, or whatever it would ruin it.

I came up with the idea of using pergo laminated flooring. Its durable, cheap enough, and if it gets looking bad I can easily replace it as its not glued down. It just sits on the particle board, and I tacked it with a couple brads.

All I have to do to change it is pop the backsplash trim off, and change it out, then rplace the trim board. About a 15 minute job.

The other bonus is, theres tons of different colors available, so I can switch it out easily.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
That look's great!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Very nice! Really like the pine cabinets.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Looks awsome. I'm sure you will be able to feel your Dad's presence in your new cave.
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
That looks AWESOME!!!

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »

Finished just about everything up tonight, moved all my tools etc in,and then a few things to give it a better look. Still have undercabinet lighting to install.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Looks real nice.
Glenn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©