3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is going on with the Hunting Channels?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is going on with the Hunting Channels?
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
What night is the "Wild Within" show on?

Offline wvboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
it's easy. don't watch it.

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
What if some trad gang member with connections would convince a worthy sponsor that a truly ethical, fair chase, traditional/primitive archery/hunting  program would be well received by many people who still believe in bowhunting as it should be?
With permission from those who have wonderful traditional videos already produced there would be enough programming for many years of quality programs. I've seen some of the videos some of you on here have produced and I could watch for hours.
Instead of getting rid of the Outdoor Channel, let's use it like a tool to make heirloom furniture rather than press wood junk!
I'm just say'in.
Ps 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
The worst I saw was a set up at a mud hole with a feeder and they shoot a pig with a crossbow with a scope on it maybe a 15yd shot.Might as well go to a pig farm and shoot a pig in the pen.
john 3:16

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
I quit watching them, to much smoke and mirrors and product hype. I don't know how I ever managed to kill big game 30 years ago without all the stuff they say you have to have now. To each his own, but the beauty of traditional archery for me is the simplicity and joy from the effort that you put into the hunt. I always liked the basics of "Hunt into the wind" and stop, look and listen. So much of my enjoyment has come from just being out there and doing it. You never forget the adrenalin rushes. Great memories!

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Glad to hear everyone is as appauled as I am over these shows. Even without the fact that it's all about selling product, they act like a bunch of corndogs when they shoot something.  I am excited when I make a shot, but gee whizz, act like a grownup! There are a few that get excited on camera, but don't turn into corndogs, not many though.

I too have stopped watching most of the shows. I love the sport and the outdoors.......... Making a shot is just icing on the cake. And, I can enjoy the heck out of the cake, even though I don't get icing very often.
WoodsyDave

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
This is definitely, strictly and hopefully obviously my PERSONAL OPINION, but hunting does not in any way, shape or form make my list of spectator sports.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Ditto-

Gosh- hate to pile on. . .  may I add-

-This entire "habitat management" thing is really suspicious to me. . . (Besides each of those deer must be costing $$$$$ to harvest!)

-I am NOT a compound hater. . . BUT the one that kills me is that guy who always raises his hi-tech compound bow (besides he can shoot out to 100 yds) above his head while the commentator talks about taking an animal with ONLY a "stick and string."  LOL

Yup- a commercial/artificial world.

BTW- even as I have heard and read about Nugent- if the guy put it all on public TV I am going to bet he did not know he was breaking the law (not an excuse).  I bet he made a mistake. . . still culpable but different than intentional.  

Going to agree- those old films with Curt Gowdy etc. are the best!

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by raghorns:
What if some trad gang member with connections would convince a worthy sponsor that a truly ethical, fair chase, traditional/primitive archery/hunting  program would be well received by many people who still believe in bowhunting as it should be?
With permission from those who have wonderful traditional videos already produced there would be enough programming for many years of quality programs. I've seen some of the videos some of you on here have produced and I could watch for hours.
Instead of getting rid of the Outdoor Channel, let's use it like a tool to make heirloom furniture rather than press wood junk!
I'm just say'in.
Its all in the funding. The sponsors pay for these commercials, so, they expect their products to be shown a certain number of times(depending upon the contract)--they pay more money if their product gets highlighted in some sort of "tip of the day".
 LOL. "I woulda never got this here deer if it wernt fer ma cough silencer, ma Nugent Blades, and ma Stinkaway de-smellyfier spray."
 They aren't any different than the ol' Billy Mays infomercials, exception being the target demographic.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
I am tired of it my self. Guys going from outfitter to outfitter and telling us how hard there hunting.No scouting, hanging stands, etc. Its all done for them . I have paid for a few hunts my self not knocking them but i get the most satisfaction when i know i truly i earned the critter i was after. I would rather be a good outdoorsman and woodsman than just a shooter or hired gun. Thats my two cents worth. TD.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
Easykeeper I think its on Sun. nights at 9.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
money talks,bull crap walks...it is entertainment and for ratings only....if I use product XYZ , it is because the TV show uses it and kills MONSTER deer....never have saw a monster buck, but have taken several nice ones.....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
I pay extra each month for one of the outdoor channels and almost never watch it- i dunno, its just not my cup of tea anymore i guess
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
well here is my $.02.
I think the hunting community is hurting it's self with the tasteless tv shows.  the worst I think are the gun guys shooting deer in the shoulder (as they should) but then keeping the camera on the wounded animal as it runs off on 3 legs then falls and lays there kicking while the good old boys are laughing and high fiveing.  Then cutting to a commercial for mechanical BH that 'guarenties you will get your game' because 'it is like throwing an ax through an animal.'  The anti's are getting a lot of great footage to use against us.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
"The anti's are getting a lot of great footage to use against us."
Sad, but true. If you want to see a real bonehead, try and watch "Pigman". If I was an anti, I would use his show as an example.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
I can't watch them....too much canned head bangger music.  I want to hear the rubble of the rocks when a guy heads down a ridge to cut off elk, not some guy banging on a guitar the same cord OVER AND OVER AND OVER.  

I also want to hear the wind, the birds, the leaves rustle, the babbling brook.  Not some pre cage fight music.

I also think the 'hunting tips' are a JOKE....how to get more performance form your ATV, or the lates GPS tech, or some other gadget BS.  They aren't hunting shows for real hunters, they are entertainment for those that want to be hunters.

Sorry, but that's my thoughts...and I'm being honest.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
From the sound of it, I am glad I dont get these channels anymore. (too expensive)!

Funny thing is, I felt like I have been missing them all these years.

Unfortunately "we" must save "ourselves" from ourselves all the time.  Its not just hunting or shooting, it seems to be with everything anymore.  People just have an uncanny way of ruining everything good in life.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
I can't watch them....too much canned head bangger music.  I want to hear the rubble of the rocks when a guy heads down a ridge to cut off elk, not some guy banging on a guitar the same cord OVER AND OVER AND OVER.  

I also want to hear the wind, the birds, the leaves rustle, the babbling brook.  Not some pre cage fight music.

I also think the 'hunting tips' are a JOKE....how to get more performance form your ATV, or the lates GPS tech, or some other gadget BS.  They aren't hunting shows for real hunters, they are entertainment for those that want to be hunters.

Sorry, but that's my thoughts...and I'm being honest.
Thats right. The headbanger music only serves to portray the hunter as a violent, bloodthirsty beast in the eyes(and ears) of the more sensitive populace.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
I totally agree with each and everyone of you! I get all the out house channels with a package I'm on and never watch any of them. The wife and kids watch TV not me.

With that said seriously consider watching "Wild Within" on the travel channel "somtimes not always" Sundays at 9.

It's the best dang "hunting" show to hit the air waves since the American Sportsman. Search it on the web at Travel Channel Wild Within. I like it so well I emailed the channel and praised them for airing it. For one it protrays hunting in a very good lite to a audience that doesn't see it much, the guys stresses ethics and morals and lastly if enough "professional" hunting channels see that folks like it maybe they will rethink their agendas!

Now with all that it's not perfect. His promos show him with a stick bow but I've never seen him use it in a show, mostly rifles, smoke poles and a knife hunting pigs. He really is a meat hunter and the show revolves around him wanting to eat healthy meat he provides for his family and friends.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline no nothing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
I am not a hunter....Yet.  I would watch some of the shows from time to time. I hate the ones I have seen. The only one I like alot that made me want to buy a bow was Tred Barta. Fair chase the hard way. I like the fact that most of the times he does not get an animal
Mad Dog      60" #35@28"
Mad Dog      64" #50@28
Tomahawk     64" #55@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©