3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is going on with the Hunting Channels?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is going on with the Hunting Channels?
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
The only "hunting" show I watch anymore is Fred Eichler when he's using his recurve. I like his enthusiasm but I gotta admit he does get carried away sometimes. I can deal with that though. I like Fred especially when he gets just as much satisfaction out of killing a 4-pointer as he does a ten pointer, even when he's huntin' in Kansas.

Tred Barta's shows are okay too.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
Of Fred's shows that I've seen, it appears he's there for the love of the hunt. Not caring if its a trophy or just meat. I thoroughly respect that. As for him hooping and hollering, what does it really matter? We all 'celebrate' in our own little way. Maybe he has a hyperactive problem. Who knows... Great thread by the way.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Rooselk - thank you for putting it so clearly.
Been my thought for years, but usually fall short when expressing it.

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
I spend the last year in CT on an internship where I had a roommate.  I had backland country set to DVR each week after Mark and Sandy Horne mentioned it to me.  Even though I'm back in TX, my roommate still has it set to record and since then him and another guy from the apartment complex have been shooting trad bows (and are now members of this site).  Scott Anderson actually hunted at 7th Age on one of the shows.  People will hunt with compounds and occasionally a gun on the show but I don't hear that being people's complaint on here.  He usually hunts with either his selfbow or a Horne Flint Quest.  There was an episode called "flint quest" that was great.  It showed him from start to finish building his own arrow, picking out and napping his own flint, and stalking a buck.  He missed the shot but talked about it being one of the best hunts he'd ever been on.  The best part...not a word during the entire hunt until the very end of the show when he summarized the experience. I would love to see more shows like this and recommend it to people who are non-hunters to understand why I like sitting in a stand or walking around for hours at a time in the cold:)
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rooselk:
I don't think that Ted Nugent is a good spokesperson at all, much less a role model. While he certainly has a genuine talent and ability to fire-up a segment of the already committed, I suspect that he turns off a larger segment of the non-hunting public than he convinces. And as we all know it is that non-hunting public that will decide the future of hunting.

I commend Nugent for the work he does for vets and kids. But as someone who considers himself a dedicated bowhunter-conservationist, Ted Nugent certainly doesn't speak for me.
Well, I guess its all a matter of perspective, huh? There is a reason the guy is so popular, because not only does he have that "rock star" personality, but, he has the nads to stand up and fight for what he believes in. Just because somebody doesn't like the guy or "approve" of his behavior doesn't alleviate that fact.
 Reading through this thread(a very good, thought provoking thread), one can see that some guys like Fred Eichler, some don't. Everyone has a different personality which is the reason we all run in different social "circles". My little Harley-riding, bowhunting, flyfishing, football coaching, kilt wearing social circle pretty much all like Uncle Ted, you and your social circle evidently has the collective opinion that Ted is less than savory. It doesn't matter whether our opinions are based upon a political agenda or simply upon personality compatibility.

All I know is this: Ted(So he screwed up on a hunt, he admitted it and paid his dues for it without a media debacle)has proven to be a powerful spokesperson against the city-dwelling do-gooding anti-hunting masses, his voice is strong enough that when he speaks, the media and by God the White House, listen to what he is saying----even if they disagree, they still listen to the message. I really don't see anybody else taking that banner up and marching with it----do you? If a hunter doesn't like what the man is saying, that hunter should STAND UP and voice his own opinion in his/her strongest voice! I'll guarantee that Mr. Nugent will appreciate it.

As for these hunting "shows", I wonder if the hosts and crews generally have good intentions to begin with? That is, before the sponsors get their mitts on it.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
I agree there are only a few I like to watch anymore but these programs do draw the young folks into our sport and that's a great thing. They are for entertainment purposes and ratings for the channel. Lets face it how long would most watch a show that only killed a deer every fourth week or so. If the crews don't use bait they have to book expensive outfitted hunts to keep the sightings high and "most" viewers happy.

What I can't stand is the "Rage" broad head movement. Every deer you see them shoot with those things the arrow doesn't even pass through from a compound on a double lung shot....WHAT???? That's a case of marketing coming before common sense if you ask me. Of course you don't see all the ones that are poorly hit and the arrow bounces off when it hits a large bone, as some of my wheelie buddy's have lived.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by LongbowGuy83:
Of Fred's shows that I've seen, it appears he's there for the love of the hunt. Not caring if its a trophy or just meat. I thoroughly respect that.
I agree, and one thing about Fred's show, he doesn't always kill something, and I can durn sure relate to that.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
Don't know,Don't care,Don't watch them.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
I'm watch them from time to time but I hunt with wheelie bows as well as traditional gear...The shows I watch more are the turkey hunting shows because even if the birds are there you still have to call them in place for a shot...Just my thought, Primos boys do a good job of introducing the youth on their shows and I'll watch their turkey hunts but I don't care for any one on the air's deer hunts at the moment...

Fred lost some of my vote when he teamed up with Buckmasters this year...Never liked Jackie and dang sure don't think he is a "BUCKMASTER"

I agree with the Rage problems these guys are shooting fast bows with  light arrows I added a 100 grains up front to my arrow and have gotten a pass through on almost every animal I have shot with them...

Speed and scent suits are the main focus these days on these shows instead of form, stealth, wind hunting, and for God sakes proper gear...

I agree with the above said also Ted is a great man to have on our side for hunting and not just hunting gun rights I have listen to him speak on a few occasions and to say he can move a crowd is an understatement...

Just my thoughts right or wrong its what I'll stand by
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
If you seen one of those hunting shows you seen them all, I unhooked from the Outdoor Channel 3 years ago best thing I ever did,the shows were all about selling you more gadgets to make you a better hunter,ha ha,there is rumor going around that ESPN is going to drop all hunting shows,
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
6 months ago I subscribed to the sportsmans channel and the outdoor channel. I had never seen these channels before that. I thought it would be great after a couple of weeks I realized it wasn't at all what I thought it would be. I wish there was a show that was all trad,like a TBM  show  or something along those lines. Who really cares about the kill it is the hunt that we all get the thrill from. I do like the Easton Bowhunting show however it to can be dissappointing.  We really need an all trad show that promotes not only traditional equipment but also traditional morales, values, and respect.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
A reflexion from Human beeings,this thread could apply to every human's behavior on this earth...we'll stay to tradbowhunting but I think the way we act and think in our every day life is connected to our way of acting and thinking in hunting and vice-versa.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
A trailer worth checking out:

Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Problem is ....the new generation of hunters watch these shows and think that the kill, numbers and what the deer scores is what hunting is all about.

I miss when a buck was just a buck !
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Texasrecurve81:
A trailer worth checking out:

Looked pretty good until he started using what looked a lot like a Robertson bow and modern trad arrows(wood or not, they didn't have doweling machines back in the day). So, this guy seems full of it, too.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Tex,
That was refreshing. I have never seen that show, but I will give it a look. Thanks for the heads up.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
I notice that Ted Nugent has shown up on a number of earlier replies and I've noticed that he has a group of loyal fans here, but one of them's claim that he has sway with the news media and the President is a bit of a reach. In my personal opinion that is not a bad thing in that to me, Ted is more like fingernails on a blackboard than an effective spokesman for hunting. Reality is that Ted Nugent shot an illegal spike buck over bait, also illegal in California and was charged with 9 other offenses as well. Mr. Nugent plea-bargained out of the other 9 charges, remained silent and absent and had his California attourney pay his $1750.00 fine with no comment. I find it further interesting that Field and Stream magazine had an article not long after, raising the question that  Mr. Nugent had possibly violated the terms of his sentencing by hunting in South Dakota. As it turns out he had not as the only license priveledge he had lost was deer in CA. The interesting part is that the South Dakota hunt was on a "game preserve", often referred to on posts here correctly as "canned hunts"

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jim Wright:
 Reality is that Ted Nugent shot an illegal spike buck over bait, also illegal in California and was charged with 9 other offenses as well. Mr. Nugent plea-bargained out of the other 9 charges, remained silent and absent and had his California attourney pay his $1750.00 fine with no comment. I find it further interesting that Field and Stream magazine had an article not long after, raising the question that  Mr. Nugent had possibly violated the terms of his sentencing by hunting in South Dakota. As it turns out he had not as the only license priveledge he had lost was deer in CA. The interesting part is that the South Dakota hunt was on a "game preserve", often referred to on posts here correctly as "canned hunts"
If only somebody could clarify those alleged 9 other charges---they could be anything from littering to illegal campfire in California. Anybody who goes to court for charges will do the "plea bargain" thing---tell me you wouldn't. Its how the court system is set up. THEN Field & Stream magazine publishes an absolutely unfounded and unresearched article that was shot down with fact.
 My 100 acre farm here in Virginia is posted a "Game Preserve", does that mean that I, too, am guilty of doing this evil "canned hunt" thing? No, my deer and turkeys are just as wild as the neighbors deer and turkeys, its just a simple high-tensile horse fence. I post it so that I have it for myself and my friends to enjoy. One really should have all the facts before pointing accusatory fingers is all I'm sayin.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

This message brought to you by Ketchum & Lutem Attorneys at Law.....Now back to your regularly scheduled programming..
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Terry Green had previously said the following on this topic when a poster said he was not a hunter (yet)

May I ask....what are you doing on this site?

By site he means Trad Gang

Must you be a hunter to be on Trad Gang?

What if you like traditional archery but wish not to hunt?

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
Isn't Ted also a proponent of crossbows being legalized in archery only seasons?

There are many of the outdoor show "celebrities" who, whether for the $$ or just their personal beliefs" use the media platforms to their advantage. Watch 'em close boys and call them on their moves. Write letters to sponsors, supporting organizations and to the person themselves. That's the only chance we have to save our passion.
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©