3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Heaven Success  (Read 835 times)

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog Heaven Success
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Well the “stone cold killers” from NY managed to save their reputation at the last minute!  The weather was beautiful the bugs were nowhere to be found and the pigs were moving.  

Between the five in camp we saw lots of hogs managed a few stalks and a few misses but in the end we succeeded in securing some pork.

Sunday afternoon rolled around after seeing a couple hogs I split off from my hunting partners and went looking in some likely spots I had come across earlier in the weekend.  I came up over a rise where I had seen pigs on Saturday and sure enough a few were working the reeds.  I got the wind in my favor and got the stalk on.  I got within 30yards when the wind swirled slightly and the pigs went on high alert.  The biggest one only about 50 or 60 pounds was standing broadside so I decided now or never I let the arrow go and zipped it right under his legs, miss number one.

I continued down the ridge staying in the reeds and before I knew it I was back onto some hogs.  I managed to close the distance to under twenty this time and had a decent shot down the pipe between two small trees about 10 inches in diameter.  A very makeable shot, so I drew anchored and released…O well the arrow struck a small reed I failed to notice right in front of the pig and sent the arrow over the animal, miss number two.

It was now about 11:15 and I had to get back to the car by noon to meet the group.  Feeling satisfied that I at least managed a couple of shots at some pigs I decided to go back to the car and meet up with my hunting partners and tell them about my adventures.  I hunted my way back to the car and told them about my success, they nodded and enjoyed my pain for missing.  Well I got to thinking as we settled into the car seats to wait for the last two in our hunting party to return, I had about a half hour before they were supposed to be back.  So just the night before I talked to Ray and found out he has a nick name…”Last Day Ray”.  So it crossed my mind why not grab my bow and head into the woods just past the car and see what happens.  I told the two guys at the car to beep the horn when the others showed up and we would leave.  Well about 100 yards into the woods I see some larger saplings shaking and I start to hear some pigs grunting and popping their teeth.  I began the stalk about 50 yards from them and I realized my shoes were making too much noise.  I slipped out of my shoes and continued the stalk in my socks.  I closed the distance to 10 yards and still no shot.  There were four pigs one good sized sow with two smaller pigs and another smaller sow, I happened upon a game trail that ran perpendicular to the pig’s position, so I tip toed up the trail a few yards and now I had a shot at the smaller of the two sows.  I stood up drew and the pig picked me off spun facing me and I stood at full draw with a 68lb recurve for what felt like an eternity just waiting for her to turn slightly.  Well she didn’t turn she took three or four steps toward me and started to go behind a large pine tree.  When her eyes went behind the tree I let down and took a breath, My knees were knocking I was shaking like a leaf on a tree and before she stepped out again I drew a second time and she gave me beautiful broadside slightly quartering away shot that I buried a woodsman broad head deep into her vitals.  She went twenty yards and piled up.  I had done it at the last minute! I was thrilled and you wouldn’t have believed the faces on the guys when I returned to the van carrying a 75lb pig in less than fifteen minutes.  

I would like to thank Ray Hammond for showing us Yankees a good time and can’t wait to go back.  

"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Heaven Success
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Nice Mohawk down that ones back!

Congrats!!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
That is one cool hog!!!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
"I slipped out of my shoes and continued the stalk in my socks."

Obviously, you yankees don't know about chiggers...
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Congrats! I'm headed down in April with a group and can't wait!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
That's the way it's done!  Good job "Yankee"!  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
Very good job,nice picture.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
Biggie,

We got chiggers up north too! Just drop you pannts in the wrong spot and suffer the consequences!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
I'll be there in two days! This is great news to hear right before we leave!

Crongratulations!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Congrats!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Way to go!!!
Mike Davenport

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Outstanding...Can you say bacon  :archer2:  

God Bless,  Pierre

PS...Red Beastmaster...
 Good luck to ya guys
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Good story, and even better pork for the freezer!
Good Job  :thumbsup:
United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Good job.

An out-of-state trad-bowing friend and I just made a promise to arrange a hog hunt in neutral territory sometime in the near future.  I'm excited about this!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Congrats.  Always pays to hunt till the last minute.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
Great story!

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
Excellent story. Congrats on the porker.  :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline jcranker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
What can I say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile!!!

I kid of course; as one of Howitzer's hunting partners (not to mention brother and first-time trad hunter) I can tell you firsthand what a great hunt it was and how psyched we were when he finally connected!

We had a great hunt...the weather was absolutely beautiful except for the cursed "light and variable" wind. I now know 'light and variable' is code for 'wind will blow mostly in your favor until such time as you are stalking a pig, at which point it will promptly switch direction by 180 degrees to alert said pig of your location'.

Ray has a great piece of property; lots of room to hunt and plenty of pigs, but I quickly found out seeing a pig and getting a shot at a pig are two hugely different things! Their noses and survival instincts are amazing. Can't wait to give it another shot!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
There's definitely a learning curve to spot and stalk if you are the typical eastern tree-sitter but it can be done, believe me!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
Heck yeah, even me and Ray can pull it off every now and then!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©