3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gave long distance a try  (Read 534 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Gave long distance a try
« on: February 22, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Read in TBM that long range practice can help shorter range shots seem a whole lot easier.  Sounded reasonable to me so I gave it a try today.

I was shooting a distance of 40 yards with 3 stacked haybales as the backstop.  The center haybale has a spray painted orange dot as the actual target.

First go around my shots were lined up but hitting the dirt in front of the bales.  The next go round I started to hit the bales and eventually was getting real close to the orange dot.

Something I noticed was when I shot at the longer range I held my form until the arrow got to the target.  At my usual 25 and under range I have been dropping my bow arm quickly after the shot.  Not bad enough to mess me up very much but a bad habit to start.  

Hopefully, the long range work will help with form, concentration and confidence. It sure is fun too.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gave long distance a try
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
I also read G. Freds article and thought it made good sense.  I love watching arrows fly...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
I like to shoot longer shots, too, and agree that it makes you concentrate more and makes you think about form. It is also a bunch of fun. I really enjoy stump shooting at longer ranges; you gotta bear down, and I think it does make the shorter shots a bit easier. Although I don't anyway, it also proves to me that I should never take long shots at animals.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Shot at 45 yards today as wel with broadheads and kept all of them in a block target.  Its a whole lot of fun.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
I also read G. Freds article. I like taking long shots while stumping and at my backyard target.
 I tend to get sloppy with form and release from time to time. When I do, I back out to 45 to 50 yards in the yard and shoot a while. I have to bear down and do things right and it will put me back on track at the closer distances.
 It's kinda backward to what some do with blind bale practice but it works for me.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
I started shooting over 30 yards last year with my recurve & up to 50 yards I'm fairly consistent now but still need more practice to get my groups tighter, 60 yards I can hit the target face of a NFAA Field target but from there & beyond I REALLY need to work on it because at anything beyond 60 yards all I see is the back of my hand at full draw.

A few things I noticed when I'm shooting 40+ yards is that I'm holding a little longer both at draw & after release & that my point on range is right around 40 yards so after that I'm kinda gap shooting.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I do most of my back yard practice form 20-30 yards. It really makes the 20 and in shots rather easy. I do not get much of a chance to shoot over 30 unless I sneak into the neighbors yard, but when I do it sure helps the closer groups.

Plus I really like watching the arrow arc gracefully to the target.

Brian

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Makes sense too me. When the weather clears, I plan on giving it a try. Better form always will help.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Yep, I read that Asbell article as well. I have room in my backyard to shoot out to 100+ yards if I so desire. I'm going to try some long distance practice when the weather gets a little better.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
I've been practicing at longer ranges-up to 50-60 yds for about a year now.  Just a few arrows each session, but - as some have already said- distance magnifies your errors- so it seems that the mind kind of buckles down and focuses better, or longer, or whatever.  It's the antithesis of the reason we all limit our hunting shots to short range..... short shots=small dispersions .....long shots=larger groups. But, if practicing at long range can actually improve my form....I'll do it!  GFA said it all better, and he's right.  Other than when the wind is blowing hard or gusting -then I think shooting long range is really counter-productive.   One thing that I think is even more important when practicing at longer ranges: don't let vertical misses effect you.  Our brains aren't yet dialed in for those ranges, missing high or low aren't that important.  Most horizontal misses are form related though, and form breaks are what we'd ideally love to eliminate.   Just my opinion.
Tom

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Count me in as one who also likes shooting long ranges.  My local archery club has a shooting range with targets out to 60 yards.  I haven't tried the 60 yarder yet, but I can't help but try for the 40 and 45 yarders.  Now, I'm still kind of a novice at all this, so my short distance shots aren't the greatest, but I always have a blast shooting at the longer ranges even when I miss most of the time.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
I read that article last night, Pac, that makes sense how it would keep Your form held longer, good to know. I want to wait for some snow to melt before trying it !
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
I've also been practicing long since I read G Fred's article in TBM.  Seems to be helping, but I've run across a problem.  When I get out beyond 60 yards, I lose the target from my sight window.  Like Eugene said, all I see is the back of my hand.  How can I practice instinctive shooting when I can't see the target?

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Been doing it for awhile now too and I can tell a difference in my shooting. It really puts the little things before and after a shot into perspective. I learned to slow my shot down a bit and focus harder on my spot, then remain focused and follow threw after a shot. Also like everyone else has said it's fun as heck to shoot long distances!!

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
It has worked for me for years,keeps you focused longer, practicing at 30 plus yards. I mostly shoot 3-D these days and out West here you shoot from 15 to 60 yards it's alot of fun.  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
I read the article in TBM also. Have been practicinng at 40 +yards and I think it works Iff nothing else it makes you feel good when you hit close at over 40 yards.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
I like to take a shot, back up a few steps, shoot again, back up, shoot, etc. I can go back to around 60yd. The longer ranges aren't all that hard if you ease into it. When I start out long and work my way in I'm not nearly as accurate.

Anyone else cant the bow more at short ranges and hold the bow more vertical at longer ranges? I noticed I do this without thinking, it just happens. Why?
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
I miss the target at 40 yrds, more than i hit it.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline Xavier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
I get my thrills as a 'target hunter' heh i'm a city slicker, and shoot mostly 25 to 40 yards. I enjoy shooting distance. I used to use a paper plate, and now go for a dot of colored paper. Small target helps a lot. I'm not saying I hit it all the time - just helps to aim small. It's also fun to change up distance between shots.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
When I first started trad there was an archery range on base that went to 60yds.  I started out up close about 10yds to really concentrate on form and then I would go over and shoot at the 60yd target until I started getting tired then I'd go back and shoot a few arrows at 20yds.  It really helped me a lot.  I had only been shooting trad for 2 months when a big rendevouz/3D shoot came up close to base; I ended up getting 7th place out of 108 shooters.  I wish I had access to a longer range now that because my shooting isn't nearly as good as it was then even though my form has improved.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©