3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many Practice Arrows????  (Read 383 times)

Offline no nothing

• Trad Bowhunter
How many Practice Arrows????
« on: February 22, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Ok so I shot a #35lb longbow for about two hours straight. Now my middle finger has been numb for five days, and it is driving me crazy.  :banghead:   I shoot a 3 river damascus glove. When I get my #50 longbow I want to know about how many arrows a day is a good idea.
Mad Dog      60" #35@28"
Mad Dog      64" #50@28
Tomahawk     64" #55@28

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many Practice Arrows????
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
There is a thread started right now about numb fingers.  You can read some variou suggestions in it.  Personally, I had that problem when I was younger.  Mine stemmed from the improper placement of the string on my fingers.  Search out the "deep hook" string grip.  That should solve your numbness issue in the future. My numbness lasted for weeks by the way.  (As for the number of practice arrows, your arms and shoulders should give out before your fingers go numb in my opinion)  Also you may want to try a more stout tab rather than the d glove.  my 2 cents

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
For me it just depends. For instance if I start shooting lousy for some reason I immediately stop and go put my bow back on the rack. That might be after shooting as few as 3 or 6 arrows. On some days, depending on time constraints, I shoot only about a dozen arrows even though everything is going exactly right. In most instances, though, I shoot somewhere around 2 or 3 dozen arrows and then take a break. Later I may go back and shoot about the same amount, or even more (but sometimes less).
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
Good question on the number of arrows one should shoot.  I keep reading conflicting advice about that, though.  The majority seem to suggest to practice light and not shoot too much lest you get physically and mentally fatigued and begin to develop bad form and habits because of the fatigue.  Whereas I keep hearing how archers who are really good shots practice a whole lot.  Maybe it's a case where the more you improve and the less fatigued you get the more you practice?

As for the numb fingers, I'm too much of a rookie to know the answer to that other than what Montanawidower said, but I often wonder how archers in the olden days (like Native Americans, Welsh and English bowmen, etc.) used to shoot and practice without the tabs and gloves most of us use today.  Unless they also used some form of finger protection?

Offline no nothing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
I searched deep hook, but could not find the proper finger placement on the string. I am shooting 3 under. I place my finger on the string at the first joint on all three fingers. Is this the correct way??
Mad Dog      60" #35@28"
Mad Dog      64" #50@28
Tomahawk     64" #55@28

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
You got it.  There is a small allowance for adjustment but you will feel it.

I am a 3 under shooter since the late 60's.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
2 hours of constant shooting could have caused it....also, you might need a bit more protection...I use an American Leather Big Shot Slick Shot...never a problem.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Over time, you will develop calluses on the fingertips of your shooting fingers, if you shoot regularly.  This should solve your numbness problems.  In the mean time, don't shoot so much that your fingertips get numb, as that indicates nerve damage, which is generally not permanent, but not something you want to encourage either.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
I easily shoot 300-500 arrows usually 3 times a week. I don't think that is normal but I enjoy it. The guy I shoot with, Ed, shoots every day 300-1000 arrows. He is amazing & most people would not want to do that. He is in his late 60s & shoots a mid 50lb bow. He is why I shoot so much. Truly the love of the bow & arrow. Good luck.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
I'll on average shoot about 20-30 arrows if I'm in my basement working on form but general practice have gone as far as 100-150 arrows both aimed & blind.

In a weeks time I usually end up with around 250-300 arrows it really depends, like Rooselk said "if I start shooting lousy for some reason I immediately stop and go put my bow back on the rack." on other occasions I'll shoot till either I run out of time or get tired.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
I try to shoot 25-35 arrows everyday. Sometimes I'll go on a 50 arrow day. It all depends on what I feel like at the time. Mainly I'm keeping my muscles tuned and always using my hunting weight bows.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Just depends. Bad days, I'll only shoot a short time, good days I tend to go on and on a while.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Lots of good suggestions here.

Keep in mind that form, patience,moderation and permitting your hands to become acclimated should dictate how many arrows you shoot and at what rate you should increase. Also, keep in mind that 20-30 perfectly executed shots are exceedingly far better than just flinging arrow after arrow.
Lastly, listen to your body.

I am possibly not qualified to provide this advice since exercising moderation is not one of my forte's. Shot a 64#'r this weekend that felt great. Staying at a much lower poundage may hopefully compensate for some of my lack of moderation.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Depends on how long I spend looking for lost arrows..  :dunno:
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
So who's counting arrows?
   Larry

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Your fingers should not go numb after 2 hours of shooting. It could be caused by a number of things; type of grip on the string, type of glove, or tab used, or poor circulation.
I would try different gloves, or maybe a tab, if you have not used one. Exercise will help if the issue is poor circulation.
Good luck
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
As mentioned it depends on my mood and my physical and mental state that day. If Im shooting well I dont or should I say cant stop shooting. On the other hand if Im shooting bad I'll try to put my finger on why. I'll try to rehearse my form on each shot and if I cant figure it out I put the bow away.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
Sometimes I shoot just to clear my mind from the daily grind.  If I'm stressed though, it's not going to be good practice.  10-20 shots with good form, done several times a day, seems to me to be the ideal. Finding time for that in my day is sometimes impossible!

I don't focus as well when shooting round after round after round.  And physical pain(from an injured shoulder perhaps)or numbness in your hand don't help the mind focus either.
Tom

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Make sure your tab fits correctly and your finger tips aren't catching the string when you release. I had a big blood pimple on the tip of my middle finger from that very thing back this summer. I made myself a tad bit longer tab and solved that problem. I also shoot 2 under, not 3.

If I haven't shot for awhile, I go for about 30 min. and put it away until the next day. It's hard to make yourself stop when it's feeling good, but you just have to discipline yourself. Otherwise your gonna pay for it later. Short practice sessions of 30 min. max work better for me than longer marathon shooting sessions. Also do some walking around stump shooting or at a 3D course where you are taking breaks in between shots so your fingers have a chance to rest in between. That's more effective practice in my opinion by forcing you to judge different distances and shoot real life situations around brush and on uneven terrain.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Everyone has to find WHAT THEY LIKE to do. Personaly I quit pounding the yard target long ago. I shoot one arrow at a time maybe a dozzen times.Uselly once a day for form. Before
 I do my real pratice  Pounding ar
row after arrow just sets you up for bad habbits. I don't do much lawn practice.
  I think after (years and years) you get your basic form you need to practice hunting shots
 I stump shoot 1 arrow and move on. If you think your good at shooting acroos the lawn where you know the distances. Go stumping to might see what I'm talking about.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©