3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ed Scott's - Owl Bows  (Read 522 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Ed Scott's - Owl Bows
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
While sitting around recovering from my shoulder surgery I've been doing a lot of "looking" around the internet. Reading all that I can find on Ed's bows. The fact is that I haven't been able to find a lot of pictures, nor any "reviews" done by anyone on his beautiful work.

I haven't ever shot one of his bows, but did fondle over them the past two years up at Compton. Does anyone here own one......or two of them and if you do, can you please give me a review of their performance and longevity???

I've watched the series of videos that was done with Ed on how he makes the bows and truly enjoyed them, as a matter of fact they have given me the "itch" to get one in my hands. I'm not able to shoot any bows right now but hopefully in the near future I will be bending the limbs again. I have never shot a self-bow, nor any kind of sinew backed bows. What can I expect with one of his bows ??? I'm very seriously considering ordering one, or seeing what he has "on hand" for sale. I know that each bow that he builds is a true "one of a kind" and to me.......a work of art.

Thanks in advance............

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ed Scott's - Owl Bows
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
I would love to have one of his Gemsbok horn bows.They shoot soooo nice!
Bill

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
They look nice too......Bill. If'n we ever hit the lottery, I'll buy both you and me one. I had one in my hands the last two years.....heck, I was afraid to go shoot it. Perhaps this year, I'll give it a go......and probably get myself in trouble when I do.

I really like the looks and feel of his western style flatbows too. I'm gonna have to break down and just shoot a couple of 'em this year.

Winterhawk1960

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
I'd love to shoot one sometime! I like his limb end style on his Owl. I don't care for the art work, but a sinew backed Osage with bull snake backing would be my choice!

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by RLA:
I'd love to shoot one sometime! I like his limb end style on his Owl. I don't care for the art work, but a sinew backed Osage with bull snake backing would be my choice!
I shot a flatbow of his at a show in Boise a few years back and it was an absolute joy to shoot----I would have bought it if it wasn't for the artwork on it.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Come on let's see&hear about them!

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
Here's a recent thread I started. I just put in an order for a 68" longbow last week.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=100346;p=1

Offline laxbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
Ive shot them once or twice at Cloverdale.
Ed is such a great guy and like jsut about everyone else here i wish i could own one, especially the horn bow!! i shot one a few years back and it was really special.
All his bows are true art

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Thanks Mojostick......so it was YOU that I can blame for "lighting this fire" under me about Ed's bows !!!

(Nah.......it was already lit) You just fanned the flames a little.   :archer:  

Winterhawk1960

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
All I can say is, call Ed up and he'll tell you more about those bows than anyone.

I can't say enough about them.

He'll be at Comptons and he hopes to have a rack full of bows. I'm picking mine up at Comptons, since he's hoping to have it done by then.

If you have the means, I suggest you order one. You'll never own anything else quite like it.

I like my 64" hunting bow and bet a 66" would be sweet too. I ordered the 68" because he had one started and he said I'd like it or he'd take it back. I trust I'll like it.   ;)    :)

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »
Blacky tested one a while back in TBM magazine, but I can't find mine. If I remember it held it's own.

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »
I've had mine for several yrs now. It is osage and has some great art work on it.They are great shooters and I believe this bow will out last me. Ed will make you a bow any way you want it , with or without the art.Great shooters.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 05:57:00 AM »
Don,
There was a review in Tradbowhunter magazine in 09. I remember because I started my selfbow a few months later. With a selfbow you will find they are dead quiet. You also don't want to keep them strung unless you are hunting or shooting it. I think Ed's bows are beautiful and would like to have one too. By the way, don't let anyone else shoot the bow. It will be made for you and your draw length. If someone else overdraws it, you can lose some performance.
Bic

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
I have one of his sinew backed mesquite bows. It is a great shooting bow and very quite. I am very pleased with the cast of a heavy cane arrow. Ed is a real pleasure to work with. I will try and get some pics up later today.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
Back up.......for the weekend crowd.

C'mon guys.......I know that ya'll have some pictures of Ed's bows.   :campfire:  

Winterhawk1960

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
My Owl bow will be my bear hunting partner this spring along with my forged trade points on cane arrows.  Plus I'll keep then all organised in Larry Surtees Gator quiver.  That bow shoots great.  I'll try to get some pictures up...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
My sinew backed white oak Owl bow is my favorite bow.  Love it.  Shoots hard and accurate, and WHISPER QUIET!  Words don't do it justice.  Mr. Scott's work is beyond functional and pretty to boot.  If I could figure out the pictures I would put some up, but I never have.  It is a gorgeous bow with lots of "it", whatever "it" is that equates to top notch performance.
Silence is golden.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Oh yeah.  I forgot my avatar.  That's my Owl bow in my avatar thingy.

As far as not being able to shoot, that sucks.  When this Owl bow reached my house a few years ago, I had just a couple days prior torn the ligament that holds my thumb to my hand.  It was impossible for me to hold anything, much less draw a bow, for several weeks.  I got this beautiful bow in the mail and just had to sit and look at it for a month or more before I could string it up and shoot it.  As it turned out, due to the way he worked the piece of wood, that bow fits my hand better than any other.  I can shoot it even now with less trouble or pain from repeated shooting than any other bow I own.  Can't say enough good about Mr. Scott's bows.
Silence is golden.

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »

U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter