3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Riser question  (Read 202 times)

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
Riser question
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Generally speaking, with regards to recurves. Assuming the overall bow length is equal. Is a longer or shorter riser more "forgiving"?

Thanks,

Brian

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Riser question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »
Design can play a large roll, but in most cases i think people would agree that a larger riser is generally more forgiving.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:40:00 AM »
Anxious to see some answers because that brings up the question, are longer limbs more forgiving than shorter limbs? Remember he said the overall bow length is equal. I am not sure but would go with shorter riser. I thought I read that a longer limb is more forgiving than a shorter one, maybe its  the other way around. We need more input, lets hear it!

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Sorry,i missed the equal limb length in the question.In most cases the limbs are the same its a diffrence in riser length.Some designs may be diffrent.In the bows i build limbs are the same risers are 17" in the 60" recurve and 21" in the 64" recurve.Longer limbs and riser in most cases equal a more forgiving bow.Riser design can play a big roll aswell.If you look at olympic shooters they all use long recurves most of the time no shorter than 64". Hope this better answers your question.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
If bows are the same length usually the longer limbed bow will be the better shooter of the two. Now the same limbs on two different length risers will usually favor the longer riser all else being equal.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but it seems like longer working limbs are more forgiving; given equal OVERALL bow length.

Given "forgiving" limbs, the bows "forgiveness" can be increased with a longer riser, which really increases the overall length.

So in reality, a longer bow is probably a bigger factor in the forgiveness of a particular bow.

This could explain why a 62" bow seems to shoot better, smoother, more accurate in general for me than a 60, or 58 does.

I'm in the process of setting some further criteria for my next new/diff bow purchase.

Thanks for the responses! Maybe there's some more.

Brian

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
I hate to be the odd man out here gentlemen... but it's kind of like comparing driving a longer car over a short one.... in the auto department its suspension and wheel base.  in a bow its geometry, pre-load, and brace height....

you can design a short riser bow that is very forgiving, and have a longer riser bow with a reflex grip location that is terribly unforgiving.

i do think you'll find a riser with a forward location, and/ or more deflex more forgiving, but the length of riser and the limbs have to have compatible geometry with suitable pre load for best performance and accuracy.

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
I have three 60" bows two short risers and one long riser bow all three recuves and I find the two short riser bows both more forgiving and sweeter to shoot with the longer limbs then the long risered one with the shorter limbs.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
Interesting discussion. I am in the market for a Tall Tines and am waiting to shoot both Brian's long riser and short riser in a 60" so I can decide what I want.

I have been told that the long riser has slightly higher performance than the short riser of the same overall bow length and weight. I have no idea if that is fact or not but plan to find out what suits me best.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©