3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Take Down Systems  (Read 253 times)

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Take Down Systems
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
I hear that the Bear "Latch System" is the best ever designed.

Why then do you suppose has no other bowyer ever done it. Patents are not forever are they?

Just curious

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Take Down Systems
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
One might call it respect.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline kongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
What are the pros & cons of the latch vs. bolt system for 3 pc. bows ? Herter had a latch system that looked like it weighed a lot . No one uses it . Why 3 pc. instead of 2 , 3 pc. gives you options on what limbs you use if you can afford the price . Many 3 pc recurves have a heavy riser , Bear doesn't . If I could get a custom bow with the Bear latch system , I,d buy it in a hot second .

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
I've always been a fan of the Bear latch system.

But, lately after buying several risers and some old, new, and after-market limbs, I'm not as sure about them.  Yes, it is cool, slick, and easy to work (usually).

However, I've had some limbs that rattle, some that are too tight, and I put Supreme limbs in a Green Stripe riser and ended up with a small surface scratche on the face of each limb where the top of the latch interfaces with the limb.

I've also talked to two after-market limb makers who want the particular riser in hand as they finish the limbs. They want to make sure the fit is correct and even that the tiller is right.

So, while I continue to like the Bear system I always wonder if the limb/riser match are perfect.  The bolt system of limbs and riser may be a more perfect match?

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
i've used all of the 2pc systems out there at one time or another, and a few that never made the limelight.  as with most things in life, my subjective preference is still the connexion hinge.  it separates the bow into two identical length sections, works flawlessly in the field and is not hampered by grit, grime, humidity and temperature like sleeve systems.  it's also small, uber strong and light.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Cromm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
I recall reading an article at one time that Paul Schaffer thought the Bear TD system was one of the best designs ever.   In the article Paul also stated that the expense of manufacturing the mechanism made it cost prohibative for him.  In addition to the latch parts,  I would think the time involved in fitting the latch mechanism to the riser would add some cost also.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
The reason that no one else has done it is cost.

Very expensive to R&D such a design and Fred Bear had the resources (money).

Keep in mind that Bear Archery had twenty or so bow models and  a large arrow and accessory business and this made Bear Archery a giant.

The Fred Bear latch system is very hard to beat.
It's hard to improve on it also because Fred had spent years designing and perfecting it.

It would really make much more (financial) sense for a bowyer to have a limb that mounted with a bolt or bolts because the bowyer can sell his product at a reasonable price to us.

Technically speaking, most T/D bows that use a bolt or bolts do have a better and more accurate seating of limb to riser for sure when compared to the Fred Bear T/D........

I am partial to the Fred Bear T/D because I have collected and hunted with them for years and I swear by them.
True, the late models have had issues with fitment but easily fixed with a little tinkering and once assembled they will shoot with the best of em'.....Hope I helped a little.....Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
I'll stick with my 3 piece bows with bolted on limbs. Taking out or putting in 2 bolts doesn't take any time at all. Plus, a three piece will fit in my arrow box with a dozen arrows when traveling.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
As nice as the Bear system is, I don't think it compares with the snap in/snap out ILF system.  The principal advantage of the Bear system are 1) it's quick and 2) requires no tools.  The ILF system achieves the same benefits with no moving parts, makes use of different limbs a breeze, permits weight and tiller adjustment, and, many cases, permits adjustment of limb alignment.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
I agree totally with Cootling.....except those Bear risers just fit me perfect. That combined with the nostalgic factor of shooting a 40 year old riser makes it my number 1. The ILF has all the pluses and longbow options  also but just not for me. Put the Type 1 A riser on a replicator and stick the ILF bushings on it and I'd probably buy one.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
The problem with those Type 1 Bear risers is they must have made only 3 or 4 of them in LH and our friend, Felix has all of them!  :p

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Just one of them things bouncing around in my near empty head for years.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©