3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR SEASON 2011!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1500 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR SEASON 2011!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Hunt 24/7
It probably won't happen in New Brunswick...but I make it to Blackville each fall to use my other "One String Hunter" on Atlantics  :)   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Hey Daz, do you hunt VI? I went as a spectator with my dad and brother. It was awesome we saw a lot of bears but the big boars were just out of range. If I were to go again I would probably wait until the last week of May into June to take advantage of the rut. Good luck!
I hunt closer to home in Region 8. We have a really healthy population here, but you have to burn the boot leather to make it happen.

A spring bear from VI would interest me, but definitely not a fall bear from there.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
That's a great lookin' bear there Jim.  What part of Montana you in?
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
SW Montana,Jefferson County

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Great pics!  I'm goin to New Brusnwick this year.  It will be my first bear hunt, can't wait.

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
All These pictures are starting to get me excited, I wish everyone a safe and successful season.

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Gonna be at BQ5 1st week with Tippit,Diablo,Maddog,Bowdoc and U. Barry just to name a few. Can't git here soon enough!!!!!!!!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
LOVE! bear hunting. Been at it since 2000 both at home (NH) and in Maine. We only have a fall season so I'll have to wait awhile yet, but plan to hunt on my own land and single bait site this autumn. Good luck to all! Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Yeah but with two rotorcuff operations and torn biceps it'll be crossbow season 2011!!

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
One of my buds was out on the back 40 the other day & saw some fresh bear tracks is the still 2' deep snow, looks like they might be checking things out a bit.

Myself & Jason built a couple shaker or roller barrels yesterday to add to a couple of our baits, hope they work!!!

Heres one I set up in his yard for some pic's.

Offline mb bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Is that braided wire? If so make sure that it is heavy duty or the bears will snap it. Gotta love the shaker barrels!

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by mb bowman:
Is that braided wire? If so make sure that it is heavy duty or the bears will snap it. Gotta love the shaker barrels!
It's 1/4" cable, once the bears figure out that 1 rotation of the barrel produces a pile of food, they won't try to get into it, they'll just roll it around.

I've talked to quite a few bear hunters that have used these for years with no problems, I also was concerned they would just tear it apart.

Offline mb bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
Ya, they ripped by 1/4" cable off. Somebody on this site mentioned that I might not have any barrels left when I went back to bait. Well he was right. One barrel was easy to find as it was right under my treestand. The other was submerged in the creek. It took a while to get that thing out  :)

If this is your first time using shaker barrels you will love it. The bears stay at the bait a lot longer since it takes more effort to empty. Good luck this spring!

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by mb bowman:
If this is your first time using shaker barrels you will love it. The bears stay at the bait a lot longer since it takes more effort to empty. Good luck this spring!
Crazy how strong a bear is eh. I don't really think you can totally bear proof a bait barrel, if they decide they want in, there gonna get in! hahaha!

Yeah, I really liked the idea of a shaker barrel for a few reasons, like you said, keeps them there longer, more shot opportunitys, most bears just lay at the mouth of the barrel & don't move, less trips to the bait barrel for me, thus, less human scent at the bait site.

Should be fun to watch, & yes, this is my first shaker.

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
Planning on going to SW virginia to hunt Black bear in the fall, Taking my nephew and planning to hunt with Nathan Killen.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Well, had a great weekend, it started off on Friday at 8 in the morning when I got a call from a bear hunting friend that a truck with 35 tones of corn flipped over dumping all the corn in the ditch.
 We called a couple farmers for some feed bags & another friend of mine & off we went with 150 bags & a 2000lb tote. We shoveled & bagged corn from 9am until 7pm & ended up with around 7-8 tones of ***FREE*** bear bait between the 3 of us!!!

Sea of corn!!!

Knee deep in er laughing like a little school girl!!!

LOL!!!   :help:

Got corn???

We all said a prayer that night that a molasis truck would take a flip!!! Hahaha!!!

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Headed out bright & early Saturday morning to take my roller barrel out to my new spot & to finalize the bait location in the new area I have been scouting for the past 2 years.
 We found 3 sets of bear tracks in the snow, a fresh bite tree & another fresh scent tree with some hair on it. This is all at a new never been baited location. This area has more natural bear sign than any other place I have found, I have high hopes for this bait.
 I got the location finalized (I think) & both barrels drug to the site, trimmed a few bushes, put a little bait in the barrel & headed home.
 I don't expect any action this early in the season, but it's fun to get out, be back this weekend to thin bore brush & check it out.
The stream is washed out & running fast!

Bear track in the snow

Bite tree, about eye level, (I'm 6'1") not bad

Also wet some line in the stream after.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©