3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flu Flu arrows...  (Read 334 times)

Offline jjwbny

• Trad Bowhunter
Flu Flu arrows...
« on: February 23, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
New guy here wondering about flu flu's. Do they bother the riser with their larger feathers? Can you get accurate flight from them. Besides shooting in the air are they good for stumping and just messin around?? Sorry if these questions are silly, but i've never used them before and like the idead of their restricted flight.
Thanks
Jeff

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flu Flu arrows...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
No they do not hurt your bow in any way.  You get better flight from a Flu Flu because there is more feather to stabilize your arrow.  But beacause of the big amount of feather they are noisy and slow your arrow way down.  That is why they are good for shooting in the air.  They are great for stumping, small game hunting, and messing around at close distances.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Welcome Jeff. I use Flu Flus all the time. they usually get better flight because the arrow stabalizes faster. But they slow down faster also.

They should not bother your riser any.

You can use them for stumping, hunting small game and target shooting.

They make a cool noise in flight and the arrows dont travel as far. I shoot flus in the basement.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
... They make a cool noise in flight....
Yep, that's the main reason I like 'em.  I love to hear the cool noise they make.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
You can use them for anything you like. There is a guy here in town that shoots them as good or better than regular fletch.

I would probaly not expect a deer to stand there for them though ha ha
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
Huge fan of flu-flus.  During the off season I shoot them 90% of the time.  About a month before season I'll make the switch to my normal arrows, but during the off season it's nothing but stumping and small game.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
I just made these up the other day. Plan on heading out today and tomorrow for some rabbit and squirrel hunting. I installed 125 gr blunts and used a Scorpio from Zwickey behind the point. These are 2117's I had laying around.

Hot pink feathers cut 5.5" long....

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline jjwbny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Thanks for all the reply's, glad I asked about them looks like i need to get me a few!

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
Best part is you really have a large spine selection to choose from.  Usually if I bust a front end or rear end of one of my arrows I just cut that inch off and then put the shaft in my flu flu bucket.  Usually around December towards the end of whitetail season I begin fletching those shafts.  Out to 15 yards about 90% of them will fly good and have the same point of impact.  It's out past that where the different weights really start to show.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
Check out the whistling heads at Kustom King. A midge pricy, but SHOULD be harder to lose a flu-flu. And talk about having something to listen to in flight.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
So I can expect flu flu's to shoot resonably close to my regular arrows at short distances? I have a couple but havent shot them yet.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline Slinging 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Love shooting Flu Flu's! Gonna fletch some up soon and hopefully when the snow melts a little more I am gonna head to do some stumping and maybe make some home made aerial targets to try out!

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
at cose rangethey should fly very close to ur regular arrows. farther away the less speed and accuracy you should have. spirals are slower and take more time to make than just 4 fletch helical. bboth work well and are a blast to shoot. have fun
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hopewell Tom:
Check out the whistling heads at Kustom King. A midge pricy, but SHOULD be harder to lose a flu-flu. And talk about having something to listen to in flight.
Never thought of that before.  So you not only have the cool whooshing sound from the large feathers, but you also add a cool whistling sound from the point?  Do the whistling heads work on regular foam block targets?  If so, may have to try that!

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowkevin:
So I can expect flu flu's to shoot resonably close to my regular arrows at short distances? I have a couple but havent shot them yet.
What I've noticed when I shoot them along with my regularly fletched arrows is that they'll hit a bit lower, probably because I'm not compensating for their slower speed (air resistance from the larger feathers) when compared to the regularly fletched arrows.  Haven't tried shooting them at longer distances, usually no more than 15-20 yards, but now I'm tempted to shoot one at one of the longer range targets at the local range just for giggles and to see how they fly.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowkevin:
What are you waiting on?  Get up, and go let them fly.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
I know mine pack quite a wallop from 30 yards based on the sound they make hitting my rug backstop.  I shot some at 30 yards while waiting for geese to fly and was able to hit a 12" disc on the ground regularly.  Mine travel 100 yards at maximum elevation and 4 fletch and my friends 3 fletch out of a compound go at least twice that far.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline whitetail_downer100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Flu Flu's are awesome for just about everything.  They add a whole new dynamic to shooting your bow.  Furthermore, they afford you neat oppurtunities to take shots that you otherwise could/should not.  For instance if you get really really good or extremely lucky, the latter in my case, you can even take a bird in flight.  I got a crow and have made numerous attempt on geese without success but I am always getting closer!!
-Captain Logan A. Giger-
USMC
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take... but sometimes thats ok"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©