3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carpet backstop/target  (Read 556 times)

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
Carpet backstop/target
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
I have access to a bunch of scrap carpet and was wondering how many thicknesses it takes to stop a normal field point arrow?  I want to get enough to make a target but I don't want to get too much and have to dispose of it later.  Any ideas for a good target design?
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carpet backstop/target
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
I shoot at 3 bales of hay stacked on top of each other in a wooden frame with a roof to keep them dry and I have a piece of carpet hanging behind them to stop any arrows that go thru or miss the bales. With it just hanging there the arrows will typically just bounce off. Works for me.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Hey bowkevin, would you have a pic. of your target setup?
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
I'll get one and post it in a bit.

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Thanks.♠
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
Here is one I use. its 4 pieces of carpet screwed to a wooden frame.

Its been up for 9 months now and still going strong. I think its 5 foot wide and 6 foot long.

Here is how it looks with a target in front of it. I also use it a lot for blind bale practice.

We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
Oh, and you can't tell but the posts are sunk 2 foot in the ground to hold it up.

CKR

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »

Here are a couple before I hung the carpet on the back. I do keep it covered with the tarp still when not in use. I just simply nailed the carpet to the back top board and let it hang. It stops anyone's shot that might miss or slips between the bales.

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
I built a wooden frame to fit a Morrel target, have two pieces of carpet 3'x4' tacked to top of frame and draped over back of bag. I use it for my indoor  [basement] target, Jon shot one and missed the bag today, carpet slowed arrow down enough so that it did'nt damage wall or arrow. I would use at least three layers if was my only back-stop outside.  Todd

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Thanks guys.♠

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Oh yeah, the bale on the left of my target is a backup for when another gets shot out. Just rotate the bales and keep shooting. Then when I get out I buy another for a backup.

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
at what distance and draw weight are y'all talking about? 4 layers doesn't sound like much. is it the fact that it just hanging and not taut?
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob;(from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:) -Genesis 49:24

Online Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
I can tell you that 2 won't work for me at 45# at 20 yds.  The arrows still hit the fence on the other side, but don't go through the fence boards anymore.  They just make dents.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I tried 2 layers of indoor/outdoor carpet over 2 layers of the thickest pad I could find. Draped it over a PVC rack I made, ensured it was hanging very loose and went to it. The first deflected arrow at 20 yds popped through it and never looked back. Bought the outdoor carpet for durability, but also because I thought the rubber type backing would help....I was wrong. Could be the thicker indoor carpet will stop them better, but my design was a big fat failure.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
A good friend (Possum Head)showed me how he take a piece of carpet (indoor) and rolls it flat 4 layers, and secure it with bailing wire.  Once rolled it is approximately 12" in depth and cut to the lenght of a mature deers body, he additionally added a cut out of a deers neck and head for realism.  I had some scrap carpet so I made 7 targets as described (except for the cutouts at this time)and placed in shooting lane (bailing wire, rope etc... run between the rolled up layers of carpet and tied between trees) for a backyard range works great and blend in like a deers fur would and really stop the arrows.  Maybe he'll see this and post a pic of his or I will later after making the deer head cutouts.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Rice that is exactly what I was invisioning.  I was going to evenly space the carpet but if I don't need to then your way is easier.  What poundage are the arrows in your target shot from?  I would like to be able to go up to say 70# just to be safe.  Do you ever have any pass throughs?  Have you ever shot it with broad heads?

South MS  that makes sense.  I like shooting blank deer profiles so the scraps will be turned into hanging deer bodies.  
Thanks Guys!
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
I have seen a couple of ways to do this. You can cut the carpet in 3'x 24"(roughly to your size needed)strips and stack the carpet verticaly. Bind it down with a 2x6 on top and bottom with all tread on the ends. Tighten down the 2x6 and sandwich the stack layers of carpet. You can add legs or 4x4 post to stablize it. Pull out shoot up sections and just add a new strip on top and retighten.
One target I have is a 12" strip rolled up around a rope bound with wire on the ends. I hang it in a tree and swing it for moving shoots.
Our club builds 4x4x2 wood frames filled with plastic wrap/grocery bags and uses carpet for faces. Shag side in. The vertcal stacking last longer if you can keep a supply of carpet. We don't use the carpet facings as much anymore we use veritcal stacked 8" strips of cardboard for faces but if the carpet is free use it up.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
My trick is to use old 16 or 19 inch motorcycle tires with cardboard or plastic sheeting inside, and the carpet wrapped around and screwed to the outer diameter of the tire.

The rubber protects the arrow if you hit the outer edge, and you can easily move or hang them. Not good for broadheads, but i shoot up to 80lbs and 910 gr. arrows with no problems.

Most bike shops will have a bin of skinned tires that they would be glad to give away.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the pics.  Some great ideas with what y'all have made.

I used one of those recycled rubber floor mats draped over a curtain rod and hung in between two saw horses in front of my block target, but the arrow still pierces it when shot out of my 45# longbow at 20 yds.  It's not a complete pass through, though, so at least it stops it.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
I am shooting a Morrison 62 inch re-curve, 52#@28inches. i am drawing it to 29 so am guessing I am shooting 55#. My arrows are gold tips with 145 grain target points and 100 grain brass inserts for a total arrow weight of 525 grains. Have not had an arrow go clear through yet, but have had them go almost to the feathers when you hit a shot up spot. If they start going through, I will unscrew one side,flip it 90 degrees and screw it back on so the front and back holes don't line up anymore. Or I may just add another layer of carpet.

As a backstop to a deer target I don't think you would ever wear one out.Using it as a primary target, it may need to be replaced once in a while. Mine is still going strong after 9 months of shooting blind bale or hanging targets on it.

CKR

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©