3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First 3-D Trad Style  (Read 535 times)

Offline Slinging 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
First 3-D Trad Style
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
Went to a 3-D shoot with my recurve for the first time this past weekend. Have only been shooting trad style for about 3 weeks now and this shoot was a blast!!!!! Missed a few of the targets but overall it was one of the best times going to a shoot i can remember.

Wish I would have warmed up a little more. After the shoot while shooting at the practice range I was shooting spot better groups and found my grove.

Was shooting my Bear Kodiak 45# with Vapor Carbonwoods and 125 grain tip (Thinking I will be getting some more weight up front soon).

Few quick pics:

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First 3-D Trad Style
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
I know how you feel. I too have only been shooting a few weeks and went to my first shoot this past weekend. Had a blast! Cant wait for the next one.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
I don't get to shoot 3d much but when I do I always notice the trad folks are laughing and having a good time.  Seems like a different mindset when I see the wheelie folks shooting.

Glad you are enjoying trad.  It is a whole lot of fun and very satisfying.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Slinging 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
I will tell ya what, I was smiling and laughing after every shot whether I missed or not!!! Even made some shots where I just said to myself, lets just sling one and see what happens. Made one shot in the 10 ring on a mountain goat that was 38 yards and my jaw dropped!!!

LOVE IT!!!

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Slinging 24/7:
I will tell ya what, I was smiling and laughing after every shot whether I missed or not!!! Even made some shots where I just said to myself, lets just sling one and see what happens. Made one shot in the 10 ring on a mountain goat that was 38 yards and my jaw dropped!!!

LOVE IT!!!
Know what you mean!  I went to my 3rd trad shoot this past weekend and had as much fun as I remember having at my first trad shoot about a year ago.  I still miss a lot, but even so still manage to have a blast.  I did notice an improvement in my scores, though, from an average of 2.7 points per shot to 4.7 points since last year.  Not great, but at least no longer in last place like last year!  But last place or bottom of the pack, don't matter to me - still lots of fun and I guess that's the most important.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Keep the wieght you've got on the front of those arrows if its shooting good for ya. You'll get better cast, and keep it fun! Sounds like ya'll had a blast, can't wait till it starts up around here...
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Brett Wilmore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
Way to go Slingin'!  You've got the right mindset.  Just keeping getting those high-vis nocks and feathers--there's a reason for them!  Cheers,
Brett

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Have'n fun is what it's all about!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bow50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
you got the trad fever and there isn't a cure, welcome to fun and brotherhood.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
We've been shooting 3-D most of Jan and Feb on Sundays and it is a mixed crowd, traditional and compound and I can attest the compound guys seem to have just as much fun as we do.  And they are helpful too.  I asked a guy who caught up to us last Sunday what the yardage was on a target we just shot and he lazered it for me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
I'm gonna put some arrows in some 3d targets this weekend!!!! THIS IS GONNA BE MY FIRST TRAD SHOOT
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Slinging 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by shed hunter:
I'm gonna put some arrows in some 3d targets this weekend!!!! THIS IS GONNA BE MY FIRST TRAD SHOOT
Nice! I think I will be bringing my recurve to more shoots than the compound this year cause its way more satisfying to get a 10 with a stick and string than one with wheels lol

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
How the heck could you have warmed up with all that snow on the ground? We shot last Sun in shorts.  

Congrats on your newfound hobby. 3D is a blast!

Bisch

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 12:46:00 AM »
i cant wait until the 3d ranging start up around here.  really cant wait for denton hill. im going for a full week.  never shot a 3d course with trad gear and i can see it being a great time
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Slinging 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 01:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
How the heck could you have warmed up with all that snow on the ground? We shot last Sun in shorts.  

Bisch
Ya know it wasn't really even that cold, was prob around the mid 20's but was totally worth it.

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
It's interesting how many first timers there are posting here. I've got to add myself to that list. 2 years and still haven't gone to a 3D with traditional gear. I've never even shot my bow in the company of other trad shooters. It will all change this Sat. when I go to a Cabin Fever 3D shoot. I'm looking forward to this!
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
Im sure you'll enjoy it.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline dbishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Slinging 24/7:

Originally posted by Bisch:

Bisch
Ya know it wasn't really even that cold, was prob around the mid 20's but was totally worth it. [/b]
Mid 20's??  I would have had so many clothes on I wouldn't have been able to draw the bow.  I'm with Bisch....I like the shorts weather.

Dave

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Mid twenties is a cake walk at this point of the winter for the northern tier folks.  We got to the low thirties yesterday and all I wore outside was a flannel shirt.  After weeks of highs in the single digits getting up to 30 is like going from 50 to 70   :bigsmyl:   Can't wait for the snow to go so I can get out stumping and 3ding.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Waldoboro, ME

Used to eat at Moody's on our way to Union. My Uncle moved to Ashland so we don't get that way anymore.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©