3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: With so many bowhunters...  (Read 600 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: With so many bowhunters...
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
We had over 100 people at my house this past weekend for a traditional shoot: 5 guys and 2 boys set up, 3 guys and 3 boys pulled down. That's just the way it is...every trad club I've been associated with in the last 7 years has had the same issue. Multiple reasons, some of them obvious...to me the most obvious being we as a society are simply too busy. Sure we are probably fatter and less accustomed to hard work than our forefathers, but they didn't keep our overly complicated, too full for our own good schedules either. As far as the "X-Box" generation, my kids play x-box...and I do with them sometimes too. In moderation, I see nothing wrong with it (I remember the trips into town where I would play pinball and then later on the atari). But most of the time they are inundated with some sort of sport and the physical aspect of the level they both play on is at least at the level if not beyond in many ways of mine at their age. Practice 4-5 times a week plus games for 2 boys, a 60hr work week with drivetime, a farm to run, church, time for friends and family, clothes to wash, etc. My family just doesn't have time for as many shoots as I'd like to attend. I think most everyone I talked to this weekend said the exact same thing.

I grew up in relatively rural places where there were few organized sports, hunting and fishing was the only thing to do besides getting into trouble...and my Pa was a sure cure for me getting into trouble so I naturally gravitated towards hunting and fishing. Our kids today are offered a ridiculously broad medium for entertainment. Not just TV and video games, but sports, school clubs, internet etc.

Sadly, our ennvironment is considerably more urban than 20 or more years ago. This one hurts so bad I can't comment it on it more deeply...other than it's a main factor.

I like 3D shoots, especially with realistic and challenging shot settings much more than any other kind of practice. Some of that comes from our shoots around here are trad only and it's a communal gathering of good friends, good food, and much laughter more than anything else. I don't really think it's because of the overcomplication of trad 3D shoots that has caused clubs to dwindle.

I think the busy family schedules, the sheer volume of entertainment options and our urban environment are the 3 main reasons we are seeing a change. That said, there is hope! This weekend we had far more youth shooters than we have ever had. All 5 loaner bows made it to the range...Scoutman's wife came back saying he had to find her a bow now; she's never cared anything about this sort of thing before! The key is, help put a bow in someone's hand...give them a handful of arrows that you can totally afford to lose or break...make it an absolutely no stress, fun activity...give them something fun to shoot at: 3D target, coke can or milk jug (because the auditory reinforcement is a superb motivator)...and give them simple, hands on instruction.

We all know the flight of the arrow has the mysterious quality of infecting the shooter with the overwhelming desire to repeat the process ad nauseum...if you can just get a newcomer under your care for even a few minutes, odds are, you will eventually have a new club member.

Sorry for the long diatribe, this is something I spend quite a bit of time thinking and talking about locally.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
I have to agree with JC here, he pretty much summed up my thoughts. It's hard for most to find the time to hunt and scout. Getting time to shoot in your own backyard can be an issue(note all the cellar shooting threads of late). Town ordinances, urbinization, etc.

Another simple factor is the cost of hunting in many places. Leases, fuel, foodplots all eat into money that once may have been used for club memberships. It's not as easy as it once was to find a place to hunt.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
What reading this brings to light is that there is NO simple answer, but the human spirit wants to FIND a simple answer...and as men, we wAnt to find the answer so we can FIX that problem!    :saywhat:  

One OTHER thing I ran into in clubs and even state organizations is that sometimes, just sometimes--folks are sooo passionate, they become intolerant of anyone else's view or ideas. When that happens, if all that new blood is allowed to do is what has always been done--- without regard for new ideas, it becomes a "Well, if you want to run it all your way, do it YOURself!"

Sometimes, we've met the enemy and it's us, not always or only about the many good reasons like JC and others shared.  

Many factors. Many causes. Only ones we can cure might be those that we own ourselves, eh?   :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
Doc Nock that is exactly what I encountered. I tried to join a club and was told I should wait until Jan to get the full years benefit. I told them I would gladly renew at the first of the year but then was given the excuse of there is no benefit in joining other than shooting at a reduced fee. Then I asked if they had a newsletter and was told they use the web which is fine but it is never updated. I offered to help start a newsletter and foot the printing bill until it got off the ground and was told the members don't want it. This club is a cookie cutter old boys club who makes it very known that they do not want new members. So here I am with nobody to shoot with except my daughter. It's a shame because I have a lot to offer but it's not welcomed.

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
There are so many good points and observations for us to consider here. One point that greatly excites me is the fact that all is not lost. The matter of fact of it all is WE play a huge roll in the present and furture of this great sport and I believe there are two major things we need to do.

Inspite of the times we live in, inspite of our busy schedules, inspite of the new targets or bows.  We control our own destiny, and not meaning any disrespect to anyone, it's vital that we belong to and get involved in local and state clubs and organizations that support this privledge of archery.  I disagree with a lot of things in a couple of clubs I am a member of, but I also know the good they do out weighs my personal desires and I also know things won't change if I don't help change them.

Then of course the other vital course of action is to pour our lives into our young archers.  Like so many have said, make it fun for them, make it interesting.

There is light at the end of this tunnel and it all starts here with us. To me that is exciting knowing I have a chance to leave this legacy to my childrens, children!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
AA,

Good wrap up of many wise thoughts shared throughout this post.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
The club I belong to has seen it's up's and down's. We are not just a traditional club, the majority of the shooters are compound shooters. Every year we have more that see the light and come to the traditional side. We used to hold 3D shoots (indoor) in the early 90's that would generate in upwards of $20,000.00 in a weekend (Friday-Sunday). We saved enough to buy 25 acres of land just out side of town that we now have an indoor range (30yrds),C&R fishing pond, 14 3D targets, 10,20,30,40,50yrd practice range, 14 targe field round, picnic area that is all handicap accessible. We have roughly 200 paid members and a crew of about 20-30 that do all the work.
I am currently helping put on an archery 101 course with the park district. last year we had maybe 15 kids show up, Monday was the first night, we had close to double. Things are looking up.
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the responce's I have a hard time finding time myself and it seems the only time I'm ever at the club anymore is to do work.

I did stop at a garage sale on the way home from cutting grass on the practice range and picked up a 1953 Bear cub,hope it turns out to be 1 of my best spent 20$$.I'll pick up some arrows for it and a new string and have it for a loaner

Guess I was just a little discouraged over whats happend in the last 15 or so yrs.I can see where time is a big factor now ya even hafta think about gas if ya go to a shoot thats far away

Thanx again TomM
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
I missed th big trad shoot in Topeka a couple weekends ago since I had to work but they usually get a good turnout.At the muzzleloader rondys more folks are bringing bows and having fun with them.Getting the kids interested is the first step and give them a chance to have fun with it.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Here in Texas when I was growing up, mostly in small rural towns, all I had to do was ask permission to hunt or just stump shoot or look for arrowheads. The ranchers and farmers were freindly and as long as you asked and took care of their land all was good. Now I drive 4 1/2 hrs to my lease that cost what I used to make in a month. It is hard to go there more than 3 or 4 times in the off season.

I mainly shoot in the back yard, because the ranges around here are full of wheelie shooters and have to wait for a lane. I would like to find a club close to join.

I agree we must get the kids involved. I raised 4 girls and taught them to hunt and fish and have had two grandsons shoot their first deer sitting on my knee. You can not buy those kind of memories.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2007, 12:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by KIP:
In most clubs and other orginizations 10% do 90% of the work.Kip
yep....and 10% of the hunters harvest 90% of the game too.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©