3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too much weight?  (Read 636 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Too much weight?
« on: February 23, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
I got my first custom longbow last year and I simply love it. It's a Don Dow stik 55#@ 27(my draw). It is the quitest bow I have ever shot and is pretty fast. The problem I have is that I shot my old 50# deer slayer the other night and the and the shooting improvement was very noticable. I can hold a full draw longer and never once didnt hit my anchor. I never thought the added weight would be a problem I'm 31yrs. old 6'2" 200 and lift accent chairs for a living. What do you guys think? Do I work with it or find something a little less stiff? Thanks, Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too much weight?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
If you choose to work with it, best thing to do would be a lot of close distance blank bailing.  Really focus on holding that bow back at anchor for twice your normal time.  Let those muscles actually work for a bit before you release.  That's the only way your strength will increase.  

That's my recommendation that'll keep you in your current bow without having to try to swap it out with something else that may not be as fast or as quiet.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
i don't think 5 lbs is all that much.  maybe you can do a pull-up workout a few times a week and see what happens.  with all that beings said, putting the arrow where you want is the most important/fun part of archery.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I forgot to mention the 50# deerslayer is actually 47# at my draw.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
I'd just work with it. If you shoot a bunch you will grow into it pretty fast. Gary

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
What got me thinking about this was my 3d scores. I watch these guys pause for what seems an eternity during the shot. I just cant help but think that my scores would go up with that kind of control. I shoot about 50 arrows everyday. Sometimes more.

Offline Herder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Take care of your ligaments and sinew, the muscles are not really the problem.
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
8 pounds is quite a difference in my book.

Of course at 31 years old I recall curling Kryptonite without any problem whatsoever!

When I was in college back in 1973 I used to work out with my bow (51# @ 28") by simply drawing it in my dorm room 2-3 times a day and hold at anchor (w/o arrow) for a minute at a time. A couple weeks of this and the bow was very comfortable to hold at anchor.

I hold AT anchor before releasing between very close to seconds. If I hold longer, I'm trying to force-aim and my groups invariably expand. I can physically hold at anchor much longer but my brain starts to get in the way when I do so.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Pull on a 60#'r for a few rounds, you'll say the same thing about the 55#'r.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Those Don Dow bows are pretty sweet bows, i shot one the other day and was amazed at how well it shot.

If i were you i'd just hang in there and work with it more. It'll be worth it...
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
You can do it, but next time you shoot, commit to working on it, not just flinging arrows. To start off, draw the bow without an arrow and hold for 10 seconds, it's important to feel your back holding the weight. Make sure your alignment is solid. Sometimes when we start shooting heavy weight we collapse inward which makes it difficult to hold the weight.
Next try doing the same with an arrow, only shoot after you reach 10, not at 10. What your are trying to do is build endurance and muscle memory and proper alignment. Work on it for a few sessions, I bet 55 won't be so bad.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I will try some blind bail and holding at draw. I think maybe I over think things this time of year and seeing you guys posting all these new bows doesn't help.  :D

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
I took my heavier bows (52 lbs) and left them strung. Every time I walked passed them I pulled it back and held it for a while. It seemed to help after a couple weeks.

If you like the bow work into it, If yo dont like the bow or could care less, that may be the larger problem.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
i drew my bow and held for as long as i could without shooting. a few times each day with both hands, yes your weak side too. and kept up with this day after day. and i noticed a great increase in strength. do a serch on my name thed guys here game me alot of goos advice. you will get it just do the draw and hold and you will notice a dif...
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline sorefingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
What ever you do, don't loose your joy. shooting should relieve us of stress and put a smile on us. If thats the case it is good.
psalm 83:18

Offline sorefingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
What ever you do, don't loose your joy. shooting should relieve us of stress and put a smile on us. If thats the case it is good.    :bigsmyl:
psalm 83:18

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Seems to me that it takes about a 5# difference before I take notice.

My suggestion if shooting the 55#'R is your goal, would be the following:

Shoot the 50#'r and hold at anchor for a count of four on each and every shot. Take ~45 seconds between shots. As soon as you realize you are not able to hold using the correct back muscles or groups start to spread, then stop for that day. Once you work up to ~50 arrows(an estimate) and the last one is still solid, you should be able to smoothly transition to the 55#'r. The process may take a few weeks if you shoot at least four days/wk with at least one rest day in between. This process should permit you to transition w/o compromising form.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
I shot blind bail for awhile in the basement tonight. With my eyes closed the weight seems like nothing. I come to full draw and hold for as long as I want no shakes. Looks like the TP that I dealt with in my compund days has caught up to me.  :banghead:

Offline arrowflight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Yes you could increase your strength to the point of shooting the 55#'er well or a heavier draw weight for that matter.Some questions to ask,Is that an important goal for your hunting or recreational shooting?  Will it make any difference in your shooting enjoyment?
If you want slightly more arrow speed/hunting penetration you can certainly build-up. Don't feel guilty about shooting a bow at any particular poundage.Your enjoyment of archery should  be first concidered.Everyone is different in form,strength,draw length,and what their archery means to them personally.Shoot what you enjoy.It is your archery.
We are all tied by a bond of the love of archery.Enjoy,promote,and respect the gift.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Can your bowyer reduce the poundage or make new limbs?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©